IGNORED

Getting the most out of a live-recording

Guest joshier

Guest joshier

Hello.

I have a video of a set by aphex twin specifically, (temple bar @ dublin) which i reckon is the best set he's ever done (from my knowledge)

Trouble is, the quality is pants, it's clear for a set recording (from the crowd on a digitial camera) but bass really flaps out.

I was wondering what i could do to the sound file to improve it.

Perhaps i could add compression to bass?.. I don't know, i'm trying to think of ways now but they don't seem to be very appropriate!

I'm not looking for brilliant quality, but any tips on improving the quality some-what.

Below is a small clip of what i'm dealing with here. (so far i've not eq'ed yet)

I am thinking of doing a o-zone mastering of it, but i am not very experienced on working with this type of quality, so i'm not sure what techniques would be best.

Cheers!

Sample-save target as

p.s. once i have finished getting it the best i can, i will upload the whole thing. (it's an 45 min)

mastering recordings from live concerts is a very dodgy practice, because there's all sorts of sounds in the background that you're also amplifying. i wouldn't really do much to it except maybe do some noise reduction and a little amplification and limiting.

and the distortion of the bass basicly kills the rest of the sound, so if you would reduce the volume of that by compressing, you wouldn't hear any improvement..

just replace everything with random jungle mp3s and a few aphex twin songs

thats all he pretty much does on stage anyways

you can polish a turd, but it'll just be a polished turd.

sorry.. garbage in garbage out.

a recording from a (probably) 5k rig with subs, taken by an internal mic on a digi camera will be irredeemably distorted and bass heavy.

you could figure out the tracks he's playing, and synch over the original versions, with a tiny bit of the live track mixed in for atmos and believability, but knowing how different aphex's live versions are, i don't fancy your chances.

maybe ask around for someone that's got a better recording?.. find out who promoted the gig and ask if there's a desk recording (i doubt this)

dunno... i reckon you're probably bumped.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived