IGNORED

Inception - Chris Nolan + Leo DiCaprio = best movie of the summer?

Rubin Farr

So have the days of just sitting down and enjoying a film gone out of the window? Because I am sorry but you cannot say that these films were really that fucking shit (as shit as you're making them out to be). You can only say that because what you've done is you've analyzed the film in depth whilst watching it, and I am assuming you must do this with all movies. It must be real hard to find a movie you sincerely enjoy. I can name some shit movies, and they really are shit, like you don't even need to analyze them to know they are shit, and Avatar does not enter that league of shittiness, which I'm getting from you both.

Go and watch "Borstal Boy" and then come back and tell me that avatar and inception are shit. The problem is when you're sitting watching a film and analyzing (and you must be, to give these films such bad cred) it like that, you can never fully enjoy it anyway, so it's a double negative.

Sit down, watch a movie, have no expectations, and try not to pick fault. Try it next time you watch something, and you might enjoy it a little more.

Not having a go at you guys at all, it just seems the days of watching a movie without being so fucking negatively critical are way out the window.

I mean you say it was shit, but then you say it's a good popcorn movie. Does not compute, a good popcorn movie is not shit.

Maybe I'm being really hypocritical here and just over analyzing you guys, but fuck me, it's 8 am and I've not been to bed yet and MY FUCKING NEIGHBOURS ARE CUNTS.

no shit! i seriously don't notice ANYTHING that people complain about in a movie unless it's so brutally obvious. i mean, once they point it out, then i can kinda see it more clearly. but critical and negative is the majority of what i hear about movies. i never see in depth reviews or examinations of movies where the person is like "wow, that fuckin ruled!"

i don't think i would even have enough in me to write that much pessimism over a movie.

ugh, frustration urghgrufurghur

for me what i see people doing is they are far more critical of a piece of art that is ambitious and tries to be creative. These same people excuse over and over again things of banality as being 'better' because they arent trying to be 'something more than they arent' i find this type of double standard pretty hollow but i see it with music & art all the time. Why do you think Burial is so popular? Repeatedly thought out criticisms in this thread are negated by statements like 'avatar was better because it wasn't trying to be anything it wasn't' really? You don't think james cameron was taking all his themes and philosophies in that movie very seriously? The distinctions seem very arbitrary.

But yeah sometimes the standards for movies being intellectual or foreign enough in here are so high it makes me wonder why are so many of those people here in a music forum when 80% of them settle for the popcorn of electronic music, Boards of Canada with no complaints.

i kind of agree with you, but then i can't totally get behind this. i get very irritated at the extreme reactions to any kind of criticism, however intelligently expressed it is. it's like, if i don't like a movie, or piece of music, or whatever, and i express this in an eloquent manner, i'm suddenly trying to posture myself as a contrary pseudo intellectual. it feels like there's a lot of anti-intellectualism on the internet, and i can understand where a lot of it comes from. if you just dismiss something as "shit" and don't actually back up your criticism, then your post is utterly worthless. but if you provoke a discussion by being the dissenting voice in a thread like this, where probably 95% of the posters enjoyed the movie/think it's great, you shouldn't be met with kneejerk responses like "he must only watch black and white criterion movies" or "he doesn't like populist art" or whatever else i've seen countless times in threads like this. this is a discussion board. we're here to discuss things.

i should have been way more specific in my response, in fact later i will if i can find the 1-2 people in this thread who suck avatar's dick because it was a 'fun popcorn movie' but cant appreciate inception because it was 'trying to be something it wasn't' , again i am not addressing the majority of critical views in this thread...... faggot

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

definitely agree with that. they're both big, ambitious movies. personally i thought avatar failed completely (as anything other than an effects demo) because it comes off as a lot dumber than it tries to be, whereas at least inception provokes some kind of discussion about its plot mechanics, characters etc.

The internet is essentially afire with people defending Inception against any and all criticisms. I made a post several pages ago from the Guardian journalist who wrote about that very topic. It often goes something like this:

Viewer says the dreams made no sense to them. Viewer is called retarded. Keep in mind, this is a science fiction film so it has to rely a bit on the suspension of disbelief. If you were willing to suspend disbelief, you filled in every hole on your own and loved the movie. If you were unable to suspend disbelief, you spent most the movie with an incredulous expression and hoped that the snow ninjas would keep you engaged instead. If not, you were me and you were facepalming in boredom for much of the 150 minutes.

Viewer says dreams are juvenile in that they're comprised of gunplay and video game cutscenes. Viewer is called a hater and/or told that the dreams aren't even dreams, but rather the creation of Juno the Architect.

Viewer says the film failed to engage them emotionally. Viewer is called a hater. Despite the subjectivity of whether or not Inception was emotionally engaging, fans (not necessarily at WATMM) seem to think Viewer is retarded if he/she didn't shed tears when Cobb talked about his deceased piece of exotic pussy.

Viewer says the film was too long and contains too many overlapping or contradictory styles. Viewer is called retarded, a hater, and/or told that the run time was 2.5 hours but only felt like 1.5 hours because it was so densely packed with fun-n-guns.

Viewer sets standards much lower for other films (avatar, terminator salvation, transformers) but has standards set much higher for Inception arbitrarily Viewer is rightly called a dumbass & figuratively ate their own dick

Guest Mirezzi

Well, you know how I felt about Avatar so I don't really think I'm guilty of setting standards higher or lower by not liking either movie.

there have been plenty of legitimate, intelligent posts of a critical nature in this thread (cf alcofribas posts)and for the most part they are met with complaints and the diversions i just mentioned.

sorry didn't mean to speak generally (or even to most of the people here voicing criticisms of the movie) in my comments, it was specifically directed at people who forgive Avatar because it was 'obviously made ot be a popcorn movie and nothing more' like assuming they are psychic and can actually gauge Cameron's intentions. Of course the guy didn't think he was just making a 'fun popcorn movie'. Anyone remember quotes from Cameron equating the milestone of Avatar being like when man walked on the moon? guy took that shit way more seriously than Michael bay takes transformers 2. Thats just my take on it but yeah this wasn't directed at people who are offering more thought out critiques of Inception, it was for those who hold some sort of double standard for 2 different projected classes of movies: popcorn movies and intellectually challenging movies.....faggot

oh indeed. i bet cameron thought he was making some seriously awesome/best movie shit.

inception: best avator

there have been plenty of legitimate, intelligent posts of a critical nature in this thread (cf alcofribas posts)and for the most part they are met with complaints and the diversions i just mentioned.

sorry didn't mean to speak generally (or even to most of the people here voicing criticisms of the movie) in my comments, it was specifically directed at people who forgive Avatar because it was 'obviously made ot be a popcorn movie and nothing more' like assuming they are psychic and can actually gauge Cameron's intentions. Of course the guy didn't think he was just making a 'fun popcorn movie'. Anyone remember quotes from Cameron equating the milestone of Avatar being like when man walked on the moon? guy took that shit way more seriously than Michael bay takes transformers 2. Thats just my take on it but yeah this wasn't directed at people who are offering more thought out critiques of Inception, it was for those who hold some sort of double standard for 2 different projected classes of movies: popcorn movies and intellectually challenging movies.....faggot

Lets call a duck a duck. You're specifically referring to my comment earlier, correct? Well I think its interesting someone can tell someone else how they should sub-consciously anticipate a hollywood blockbuster. From adverts, readings, and other things I got what I expected out of Avatar. Incredible visuals with a cliche but emotionally gripping story. You could read the reviews and gather this expectation... its not exactly something easily avoidable.

So I can't control my sub-conscious. We should all be well aware of this now that we have seen the beard scratching Inception. And because I can't control it, I can't simply critique everything from the same plane or mood.

A person once told me, "Elf was good, but it was no Antwone Fisher." And your argument is reminding me of this idiotic statement. How you experience something is as important as what you experience. Mood, display, sound, expectations, all play a part in your overall outlook. You mentioned how you did a 180 on Nolan cause of this movie. So its safe to say you didn't have the highest expectations. I thought the Prestige and Memento were good films and Inception deals with similar themes as those two films. So my expextations were high. But because it failed to emotionally engage me or stimulate me on an intellectual level, I felt bored. Avatar has boring parts as well, but I think all of the action sequences were masterful and I cared for some of the characters. Which as I said earlier is what I expected with Avatar. Though I have just as many complaints with it as I have with Inception, because I can step away from it and anaylze it if I want to. But I had a lot less reasons to do that while watching, and that is exactly the point of films... entertainment.

Guest abusivegeorge

Though I have just as many complaints with it as I have with Inception, because I can step away from it and anaylze it if I want to. But I had a lot less reasons to do that while watching, and that is exactly the point of films... entertainment.

So....are you single?

Coz, err, well ya know.

I'll date you.

(I'm not being sarcastic, this is exactly the point i was trying to make)

Though I have just as many complaints with it as I have with Inception, because I can step away from it and anaylze it if I want to. But I had a lot less reasons to do that while watching, and that is exactly the point of films... entertainment.

So....are you single?

Coz, err, well ya know.

I'll date you.

(I'm not being sarcastic, this is exactly the point i was trying to make)

:wub:

Once I figure out how to get a passport for Ireland or some European country, we shoudl go out and watch hollywood blockbusters and laugh about them as we analyically break down their coponents! HAHAHAHAHA IT WILL BE SO MUCH FUN!

Guest abusivegeorge

lmao

Seriously though we should definetly hit up the cinema, and you should definetly come to the UK. I'm sure we've discussed that before actually.

Guest the anonymous forumite

Once I figure out how to get a passport for Ireland or some European country, we shoudl go out and watch hollywood blockbusters and laugh about them as we analyically break down their coponents! HAHAHAHAHA IT WILL BE SO MUCH FUN!

You meant anally, right ? :whistling: :whistling:

Guest blicero

I said one rabid thing in this thread and it was more or less because blicero sent me a private message begging me to take all the bait he's been laying down in here...I think what I did was noble and, in return, he kindly ate a dick.

WTF are you on about? i sent you a PM?! so now you're just completely delusional?

you can't ask for everyone to high five and be friendly, and then tell me to eat a dick. fuck off. i would respect your criticism if you could express it like an adult instead of like a 13 year-old youtube commenter.

also, in your fist point, you admit that you were unable to suspend disbelief during a sci-fi film which you yourself state requires that the viewer suspend their disbelief! WTF?!?

Guest Mirezzi

I said one rabid thing in this thread and it was more or less because blicero sent me a private message begging me to take all the bait he's been laying down in here...I think what I did was noble and, in return, he kindly ate a dick.

WTF are you on about? i sent you a PM?! so now you're just completely delusional?

you can't ask for everyone to high five and be friendly, and then tell me to eat a dick. fuck off. i would respect your criticism if you could express it like an adult instead of like a 13 year-old youtube commenter.

also, in your fist point, you admit that you were unable to suspend disbelief during a sci-fi film which you yourself state requires that the viewer suspend their disbelief! WTF?!?

You might be the most humorless of humorless pussies I've encountered yet on this bulletin board. Aren't you the guy who defends Microsoft all the time? I now have also learned you don't think Louie CK is funny. I think you and I are just destined to hate each other.

So how about you keep eating a dick and I'll do you a favor and fuck off.

Guest blicero

You might be the most humorless of humorless pussies I've encountered yet on this bulletin board. Aren't you the guy who defends Microsoft all the time? I now have also learned you don't think Louie CK is funny. I think you and I are just destined to hate each other.

So how about you keep eating a dick and I'll do you a favor and fuck off.

you do have a way with words.

Archived