IGNORED

Pixies

halisray

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I used to be obsessed with this band. so much so that I barely ever need to hear them again, but I do go on the occasional nostalgia trip. I've got all the cd singles from before that b side compilation came out. the songwriting (those chord progressions), the lyrics, the mood and the energy all combine to make them one the best rock bands. oh, and trompe le monde is their best album. it's kind of their weirdest album in a way; it has this winding, convoluted structure. plus it has their best playing. they sound more like a band on the last album than on any of the others.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest analogue wings

I used to be obsessed with this band. so much so that I barely ever need to hear them again, but I do go on the occasional nostalgia trip. I've got all the cd singles from before that b side compilation came out.

Same here - I was so shitted when that comp came out and now everone's like "oh yea Bailey's Walk thats on the bside comp" and I'm like "months... of... searching... for... overpriced... single..."

The Pixies played here a couple of months ago and I didnt go. Tempted as fuck, but I decided that I wanted to remember them how they were and not as 4 fat fucks doing it for the money in front of a crowd of balding 30somethings.

I've been a huge fan since I heard "Where is my Mind" (yeah I know, :facepalm: ) but its the song that made me want to check out the rest of their stuff.

It's ok, same thing for me. I know of them long before, but that's what made me more curious because it's such an awesome song and was very moving in the movie.

wow make that three for this.

sidewinder, sometimes you scare me how much you post things that i would say...

That's because I am secretly you. :emotawesomepm9:

Bossanova's a pretty good album but something about it bothers me. Possibly the production or mastering or something technical I don't understand. I "like" it but something doesn't sit well with me overall. I think Trompe le Monde was better, as most people here seem to agree. Some really great tracks on that one.

Guest analogue wings

Pixies drum sounds are epic fail.

Here's who should remix the albums for their delux reissues (picked for drum skillz in particular)

Doolittle - Calexico (cos it's basically the granddaddy of modern alt country)

Bossavova - Dave Fridmann (cos its like the ancestor of Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi)

Trompe Le Monde - Brendan O'Brien (don't like any of the bands he's produced but he gets a really "live" sound)

Jazz, btw...

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/45615-pixies/page__hl__pixies

The Pixies were my favorite band from about 1993 to 2000.

As I stated in the other Pixies thread...

When I was a kid, the Pixies were my all time favorite band. I didn't have any other friends who liked them and it seemed like no one even knew who they were. This made it feel like they were my own special private good thing. I liked thinking that no one cared about the best band in the world but me.

Then came the fight club soundtrack and everything changed.

Call me a cunt for thinking so, but they don't seem as special anymore now that everyone thinks they are rock gods.

I still think their music is some of the best ever made, though.

fave albums in order...

doolittle

surfer rosa

trompe le monde

bossa nova

come on pilgrim

also first got a record player 15 years ago or so just to start collecting Pixies records so that I could have every b-side from all of their vinyl LPs what were too hard to find on cd. That was before they released the B-sides cd.

whatever.

I did see them twice on their reunion tour. It was amazing, but once was enough.

Best bands ever:

Beatles

Kinks

Pink Floyd

Smiths

Guns N Roses

Pixies

*edit*

my thoughts on Pixies drum sounds are epic fail.

fixd

Surfer Rosa - Steve Albini

Yeah, but Albini doesn't shit gold. For instance I just found out last week that he produced Jawbreaker's 24 Hour Revenge Therapy, and the production sounds fucking terrible.

Best bands ever:

Beatles

Kinks

Pink Floyd

Smiths

Guns N Roses

Pixies

Is this a joke?! :wtf: Seriously out of place in that list...but to each his own if you're serious.

bossanova - overrall enjoyable album

doolittle - some fucking amazing songs on here

surfer rosa - this album just feels good, great hits

come on pilgrim - amazing intro to pixies

trompe le monde - having trouble getting into this one.. not sure

Best bands ever:

Beatles

Kinks

Pink Floyd

Smiths

Guns N Roses

Pixies

Is this a joke?! :wtf: Seriously out of place in that list...but to each his own if you're serious.

I am serious. The original lineup anyway.

I wouldn't say they are "overrated". They definitely deserve the praise they get. I think the problem is that they became a bit of a buzz word that generated a bunch of hype that didn't fit with who they actually were... Or who they used to be anyway.

They were total underdogs and not rock legends. Musically though, they whoop any other band's ass.

Pavement is overrated.

See in reality, Husker Du are a thousand times better and more influential than the pixies. That's all I meant y overrated. Like I said, they are still an enjoyable band who wrote some good stuff for sure.

Guest Rabid

Personally I dont care if they're overrated or not but I love their music and I'm glad other people do too.

Guest Dirty Protest

entertaining and they wrote some good songs, but oh so slightly overrated.

I concur.

I wont, reply to your next post, as I think Sugar are so much better.

Best bands ever:

Beatles

Kinks

Pink Floyd

Smiths

Guns N Roses

Pixies

I am serious. The original lineup anyway.

Wheres Joy Division?

Sugar were proper class. Not listened to them in an age.

I love Beaster. That ep is off the hook!

I know a lot of people who think the Pixies are the greatest band ever. No questions.

Sugar were proper class. Not listened to them in an age.

I love Beaster. That ep is off the hook!

Me too, that was the record that made me take notice of them. As for Husker Du, I don't think I've ever given them the attention that they deserve.

Guest Dirty Protest

Theyre slightly more abrasive than Sugar, but Bob Moulds always known how to write a tune.

I think Husker Du are overrated. Can't get into 'em. Still trying though. I understand their influence but that doesn't automatically make them good.

Like Bob Dylan?

*runs away*

Archived