IGNORED

Pixies

halisray

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohhhh, fucking yes :music:. Another of my long-time favourites. You have the best two albums there IMO, but you desperately need 'Come On Pilgrim' as well (unless it's on your 'Surfer Rosa' CD). In fact fill in the gaps and get everything (even Bossanova). The B-sides are all well worth checking out, not least for the mind-blowing 'Into The White'. Sorry if you know all this already.

Guest Rabid

Pixies are great, they always meet a lot of love from elitists and this forum is no exception, this is maybe the third thread I've seen about them. I've been a huge fan since I heard "Where is my Mind" (yeah I know, :facepalm: ) but its the song that made me want to check out the rest of their stuff. "No. 13 Baby" has the most epic outro I've ever heard in a pop song.

Never understood the fascination behind this band.

listen to Doolittle - actually any of their albums are stellar

They're good, for sure, the Come on Pilgrim EP and Surfer Rosa in particular, but other than that don't really seem to live up to the level of excellence they've been ascribed. I guess they were quite influential though.

I've been a huge fan since I heard "Where is my Mind" (yeah I know, :facepalm: ) but its the song that made me want to check out the rest of their stuff.

It's ok, same thing for me. I know of them long before, but that's what made me more curious because it's such an awesome song and was very moving in the movie.

they're good BUT i really don't like how those records sound... so metallic and gated 80s sounding. and yeah mr albini, it's all room reverb but it still sounds like gash.

i think that kim deal's a better songwriter and singer by quite some margin though...

Ive never seen you stress satisfaction, just saying.

Guest analogue wings

Yeah there's a "prevailing wisdom" - perpetuated by white guilt middle class uptight Q magazine reading types - that the early screamy punky stuff is more "authentic". Which is an absolute crock of shit.

Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde are two of the greatest rock records ever made (Bossanova is Black Francis' favourite btw).

Bossanova is my personal fave - blissed out psych pop sci fi gorgeousness with random bouts of teeth gnashing. It was the first one I bought so I didnt know the Pixies were "supposed" to be "punk" I just liked what I heard.

Trompe Le Monde though, if anything it's getting better with age. Rediscovered it this year and holy fuck it's got to be the best air guitar record ever.

FUK DA HATAHS

Trompe Le Monde is a fucking great album with some amazing songs on it, it was a good album to bow out on (at the time). I wouldn't like to think I've never been a Pixies purist or snob, I just remember being more and more excited as each record came out, and then feeling like Bossanova was a big let-down. It just hasn't got better with age for me and I can't enjoy it like the other albums.

I've been a huge fan since I heard "Where is my Mind" (yeah I know, :facepalm: ) but its the song that made me want to check out the rest of their stuff.

It's ok, same thing for me. I know of them long before, but that's what made me more curious because it's such an awesome song and was very moving in the movie.

wow make that three for this.

sidewinder, sometimes you scare me how much you post things that i would say...

they're good BUT i really don't like how those records sound... so metallic and gated 80s sounding. and yeah mr albini, it's all room reverb but it still sounds like gash.

i think that kim deal's a better songwriter and singer by quite some margin though...

Ive never seen you stress satisfaction, just saying.

que?

lol

I was hammered when I wrote that. But its true, Ive never seen a post from you that 100% satisfaction with relation to what you're talking about.

Right now on an obscure indie forum there's a thread about the Aphex Twins which consists mainly of people born in the 90s complaining about how SAW1 sounds and commenting how they're held in high regard by elitists, but that they just don't really get it.

Bossanova is my personal fave - blissed out psych pop sci fi gorgeousness with random bouts of teeth gnashing. It was the first one I bought so I didnt know the Pixies were "supposed" to be "punk" I just liked what I heard.

Pretty much my experience too. Santiago's one note riff followed by Francis' power chord riff in Rock Music is about as good as music gets.

Guest Rabid

Actually, I didn't hear it in Fight Club but in a flash cartoon parody of Fight Club (that I didnt know was a parody at the time) about ten years ago. Totally agreed on WIMM being an awesome song.

Archived