IGNORED

The Chemical Brothers - Further

joshuatxuk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jsd

same. i've been listening to "brothers gonna work it out" for the past month or two constantly. what a classic.

I used to love the Chems, then they used one of my tracks on BGWIO and i loved them even more (they paid for my studio revamp in 2000!)... but man, how the mighty have fallen... The two tracks posted in this thread do not do it for me at all. Even the latest Prodigy was better (actually I quite liked it, especially all the 92 rave throwback stuff.)

which track was yours? i've been listening to that for like 10 years now man. weird.

swoon is pretty nice i think. the other one was a little too repetitive. they really have fallen but i figure they've done their artistically brilliant work, now they're free to just make some money you know?

exit planet dust - dig your own hole - surrender - brothers gonna work it out - loops of fury - are all 10/10 classics for me.

i need to hear invaders must die! i was about to buy it yesterday after reading this thread but then i got fat of the land instead for memory's sake. . .sort of a mistake because i pretty much only want to listen to "diesel power."

but yeah, which part of brothers gonna work it out was yours?

favorite moments on that album-

the two remixes at the very end - spiritualized and manic street preachers

the first 8 minutes of track 2 are flawless

and the whole first 10 minutes or so of the intro track are just...massively brilliant and fun as can be.

now i need to hear the dirtchamber sessions. and that fatboy slim mix album.

oh shit and morning lemon is cool, and mars needs women. my cd skips on most of the other parts so i don't know about those

same. i've been listening to "brothers gonna work it out" for the past month or two constantly. what a classic.

I used to love the Chems, then they used one of my tracks on BGWIO and i loved them even more (they paid for my studio revamp in 2000!)... but man, how the mighty have fallen... The two tracks posted in this thread do not do it for me at all. Even the latest Prodigy was better (actually I quite liked it, especially all the 92 rave throwback stuff.)

No shit?! Let me guess...Dubtribe Sound System?

Guest jsd

which track was yours? i've been listening to that for like 10 years now man. weird.

the ultraviolet catastrophe.

swoon is pretty nice i think. the other one was a little too repetitive. they really have fallen but i figure they've done their artistically brilliant work, now they're free to just make some money you know?

i get royalty/sales statements for Brothers Gonna Work It Out and believe me, they've been making plenty of money.

now i need to hear the dirtchamber sessions. and that fatboy slim mix album.

dirtchamber sessions is very good.

-jsd-

nice, is there anywhere we can hear the original track? are you a performing musician around here these days? i may know who you are :emotawesomepm9:

this explains a lot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfl5oIRmE2c

at first i thought you were Space Tribe being unfamiliar with that chem bros compilation, but it would be very hard for me to imagine a goa trance producer hanging out on this message board

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't know what to expect from this album, but after one full listen and a bunch of rewinds on various tracks, it's VERY good. "Snow" is an absolutely beautiful opener, the drop on "Dissolve" is fantastic, and "Swoon" just makes me smile. Not as much emphasis on vocals, no "ft." after all the tracks. I'm not really into the more pure dance tracks so far, like "Horse Power," but maybe that'll change. All in all, a really pleasant surprise.

deleted it right after the first listen. not a single spark of interest from my side in any track. they could have stopped after exit planet dust. should have.

I listened to about the first half of it last night (and samples from the other tracks) and I was pleasantly surprised as well! From just hearing Swoon & Escape Velocity I wasn't too excited, but hearing everything together really works. The video samples for the tracks look awesome as well... really looking forward to 'watching' the whole album!

I'll probably check out the itunes pass deal when I get home later.

(video samples for those who haven't seen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-Ayauei3s

I like "Escape Velocity" for about 7 minutes...not sure why they tacked on the final 4 or 5. Most of the reviews I've read say "Horse Power" is one of, if not the best track on the album, and I have no idea where they're getting that from. It does nothing for me in almost the exact same way that "Hey Boy, Hey Girl" did nothing for me. But other than "Another World," which sounds like it belongs on one of the last two albums, I like most of what they're doing here.

I dunno old Chemical Brothers tracks kind of made me laugh even if it wasn't laugh out loud. I definitely think there was some quissential change in their sound between Come With Us/Push The Button. And "Hey Boy Hey Girl" even if the song itself sucks I think it illustrates what I'm talking about, like it's the corniest sample humanly possible without taking it all the way and being like 'you've got to move it' or whatever the ultimate cheesy dance music vocal is like oh godddd I don't want to find this groovy but I am. I get the same vibe from breakcore stuff now like you will rock out to samples of Charles Manson or whatever we are in complete control of what your brain perceives as cool but yeah new Chemical Brothers is completely humorless Swoon was ok in some kind of euphoric way but I don't want euphoric I want incredibly fucking classic-sounding shit and it's not classic it's like some soulless ipod commercial crap

I still need to listen to everything though I guess I'll give it that much of a chance

also like old chemical brothers stuff like I said it made me laugh just try to beatbox that beat on "It Doesn't Matter" it would sound ridiculous. Now beatbox Swoon it's like meh

I also agree about horse power not being all that... my least favorite on the album for sure. I gave the "visual experience" a watch last night (the whole album set to visuals, available on itunes) and it was quite awesome! I was glued to the screen the whole time... the videos really enhance the music. Anyways, horse power was my least favorite segment of the video as well. The geometric horse is awesome, but its just the same thing over and over until the song ends. Another world has to be my favorite (song & video).

If anyone is interested in the album, give the full video a try... it's worth it!

Listened to it yesterday on NPR. It's a bit underwhelming, but damn, it's such an improvement over the last two albums, especially that mess of tracks on We Are The Night, witht the exception of "Saturate."

Guest Masonic Boom

I like it. It's certainly the best thing they've done since Surrender.

Though obviously, it's Chemical Brothers, if you don't like what they *do* you're not gonna like it. It's completely commercial and ridiculous but I've got such a soft spot for what they do (or at least used to do.) They just kind of apply big, over the top Classic Psychedelic Rock affectations over the dynamics of dance music.

I have been caning "Escape Velocity" all day today. Not so much for the marimba repeat but because the tilting effect of the rest of the song really reminds me of Electric Mainline which was the last time Spiritualized were any good.

The Horsepower song is quite ridiculous, not to mentioned very recycled. It's a crappy redo of "It Doesn't Matter," which I'm pretty sure uses the same Horse whinny sample. :facepalm:

But that said, it's about the only real bad moment on the album. They've broken their streak of using the same formula that wore off after Surrender. I just read the pitchfork review and they worded it quite well. Before Further I thought they were done with making anything worthy, beyond a decent single or the EBW releases.

God, I don't know, I can't even get past this first track, holy fuck..

..the next track is 12 minutes long, I don't think I'll be disappointed

What?

God, I don't know, I can't even get past this first track, holy fuck..

..the next track is 12 minutes long, I don't think I'll be disappointed

What?

Ah, I had started a new thread on this topic cause I searched for a thread on 'Further' and couldn't find one. That was my original posting in my thread, Joyrex must have thrown it in here so it probably sounds out of context. Anyways, what I was saying was that I love the first track because it's awesome

I listened to this today. The only other Chem Bros I like is Surrender. I don't think this is as good as that but nearly. It's just a little bit samey... I like albums with a lot of variation. But I do really like the feel of it. Horse Power was not as embarrassing as I was expecting, there's a really sweet little melody somewhere in the middle of it that I thought was awesome.

I do like that it sounds about 12 years old. No one makes music like this any more.

Guest Masonic Boom

I keep coming back to it. Some of those songs (especially Swoon and... erm, forgotten the name of it now) are super earwormy.

I'm actually quite embarrassed to admit that it's pushed Aphex Twin off the top of my last.fm weekly chart for the first time all year. :blush:

Archived