IGNORED

Underworld - Barking

Guest Fishtank

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louisana is like a pop version of Stagger.

Bird1 is so Second Toughest In the Infants... it gets a bit retro 80's sounding after a while but the beginning... I mean that vocoder effect is probably the exact same one used on Juanita....

but Stagger is good and Louisiana is pure toss. it's not even the drum patter that bugs me. It's mainly that wah-wah voice effect that i can't stomach, but the pseudo-sad piano ballad is uninteresting as well. there are a couple tracks on there 'that Underworld would do' that aren't all generic dance. Hamburg Hotel, Moon In Water, no? and those are some of the best on there.

Like I said... I don't have all their albums... but as far as I can tell Barking is BY FAR their worst, speaking objectively, but personally I really get into cheesy dance music sometimes. I think the only reason anyone is giving this album a chance is because it's Underworld. It probably would have taken me much longer to admit to liking it (and to go out and actually buy it) if it wasn't Underworld. But I would still really like it.

but Stagger is good and Louisiana is pure toss. it's not even the drum patter that bugs me. It's mainly that wah-wah voice effect that i can't stomach, but the pseudo-sad piano ballad is uninteresting as well. there are a couple tracks on there 'that Underworld would do' that aren't all generic dance. Hamburg Hotel, Moon In Water, no? and those are some of the best on there.

I suppose dubstep doesn't count as dance, so you can just about excuse Hamburg Hotel. Moon In Water sounds really anonymous to me, and if you took the spoken word off, there's no way I'd think it was Underworld. It's so bloody simple, reminds me of something somebody would stick together with a loop pack and a copy of Acid.

I think, mainly, it boils down to the fact I think Louisiana is a beautiful song. It's very simple, but I think it's really effective. It's definitely the track that left the biggest impression on me on the album.

Anyway, much as I enjoy the record, I am hoping they've got the woo-hoo cheesy dance fun out of their systems and go back to pursuing the OWB direction again.

Guest Greg Reason

Finally listened to it. I actually quite like it, it was a pleasant surprise to find that it's not as poxy as I'd imagined from hearing 'Scribble'. I'm really into 'Always Loved a Film', and quite a few of the tracks have a cool Icehouse vibe to them. Not so impressed by the nasty Autotune wobbles on 'Grace' though.

Like I said... I don't have all their albums... but as far as I can tell Barking is BY FAR their worst

I think Dubnobasswithmyheadman is actually far worse *ducks for cover*, and the releases before that don't really count...

Anyway, much as I enjoy the record, I am hoping they've got the woo-hoo cheesy dance fun out of their systems and go back to pursuing the OWB direction again.

Guest Greg Reason

More time to think on it... 'Louisiana' I don't mind at all. It's 'Diamond Jigsaw' and 'Moon in Water' I think are atrocious pieces of shit.

Listening to Oblivion with Bells for the first time right now. I know the first two tracks aren't really representative of the rest of the album but damn... I feel I already got my money's worth with Beautiful Burnout.

I like Diamond Jigsaw when the cheesy trancey bit comes in about halfway through it. And also the vocal melody is almost exactly like this J-pop song that I kinda like...

(I can't believe I'm admitting to liking this kind of thing here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf2JCEHa8iQ

Diamond Jigsaw's my second favourite, it's unashamedly fun.

Using the Japanese bonus track to replace Moon On Water, I've made a version of the album from the two discs that I shall be listening to mostly from now on:

Bird 1

Always Loved A Film

You Do Scribble

Hamburg Hotel Essex

Grace (Telematic Peal)

Between Stars (Lemonworld Mix)

Simple Peal

Diamond Jigsaw

Lousiana

Simple Peal works really well as an ambient break between Between Stars and Diamond Jigsaw, which made me realise that there really aren't enough breaks on the album. The run of tracks with similar beats and tempos gets really draining.

That tracklist makes it an album I like a lot, rather than quite a bit.

Guest Greg Reason

Listening to Oblivion with Bells for the first time right now.

First time!?!

Wait til you get to Faxed Invitation! And Best Mamgu Ever!!!!!! More like Best Underworld Ever

Well I've listened to Oblivion with Bells about 3 times now... and I totally see why it gets so much love on here! So many good songs! I mean.... the only track that hasn't blown me away yet is Boy Boy Boy... and that might grow on me still.

Beautiful Burnout is just such a classic Underworld anthem... and I agree with Best Mamgu Ever it's amazing... those vocal effects are awesome... really hypnotic! But all the ambient moments are amazing as well... It's early days but so far this is my favourite Underworld I've heard. Although I adored Second Toughest back when I got it, I've grown kinda bored of it cos I like music that's rich in melody and OWB offers so much more in regards to that.

Just need to get Dubnobasswithmyheadman and I'll have all the main releases (don't think I'll get Everything Everything... I'm not big on live albums).

(don't think I'll get Everything Everything... I'm not big on live albums).

Get it on DVD though ... it really is bloody awesome and full of energy (plus you get Underworld in big ol' 5.1 !)

Guest Greg Reason

Well I've listened to Oblivion with Bells about 3 times now... and I totally see why it gets so much love on here! So many good songs! I mean.... the only track that hasn't blown me away yet is Boy Boy Boy... and that might grow on me still.

Beautiful Burnout is just such a classic Underworld anthem... and I agree with Best Mamgu Ever it's amazing... those vocal effects are awesome... really hypnotic! But all the ambient moments are amazing as well... It's early days but so far this is my favourite Underworld I've heard. Although I adored Second Toughest back when I got it, I've grown kinda bored of it cos I like music that's rich in melody and OWB offers so much more in regards to that.

You'll probably really get into their Riverrun EPs, all three are amazing: Lovely Broken Thing, Pizza for Eggs and I'm a Big Sister, I'm a Girl, I'm a Princess and This is My Horse. The Riverrun singles are OK, there's some great stuff but also some throwaway material. The remixes tend to be especially bad...

Also their soundtracks are incredible, making those are what inspired them to get so misty and ambient on OWB

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to Oblivion with Bells for the first time right now.

First time!?!

Wait til you get to Faxed Invitation! And Best Mamgu Ever!!!!!! More like Best Underworld Ever

Good Morning Cockerel and Best Mamgu Ever are two of the best things I've ever heard.

IMO, sola sistim > best magmu ever

Im dripping with moisture at the thought of the Brixton gig next month (NEXT MONTH!!!!! :emotawesomepm9: )

Their back catalogue is so expansive now, it must be very difficult for them to pick out a 2 hour gig.

I would love to hear Juanita / Kiteless again. I think they have been opening recent gigs with Downpipe which is a pretty strong track. It really wouldnt bother me now if they dropped Born Slippy Nuxx from the set (thats 10 minutes that could spent on greater things) but it still gets such a massive crowd reaction and I would imagine there is still a chunk of the audience that only know the lager lager song.

When I last saw them at Brixton, their second track was Cowgirl/Rez, such is the awesomeness of their catalogue :emotawesomepm9:

Archived