IGNORED

Films you love..

eugene

Guest disparaissant

^^ not a bad list at all.

I could probably go on and on. I think the failure of rating systems is that there are certain qualities that some movies possess that are hard to quantify. Some of that might be nostalgia but some of it is something else that isn't easily defined.

yeah, krull is def a nostalgia movie for me, taking a step back and looking at it makes one wonder why they can even stand to watch it. there was a family guy episode that put it best, with chris talking to his boss at the convenience store

boss: oh, hey, have you ever seen krull?

chris: no.

boss: oh... yeah. you don't have to see krull.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't understand why the older cronenbergs get rated so harshly. pretty amazing films IMO. scanners is like the quintessential early cyberpunk film.. amazingly shot and wicked soundtrack too

i don't understand why the older cronenbergs get rated so harshly. pretty amazing films IMO. scanners is like the quintessential early cyberpunk film.. amazingly shot and wicked soundtrack too

:cisfor:

Guest Sprigg

Chocolate by Prachya Prinkaew

Mirror Mask

Pandorum

All I can think of at the moment... don't watch too many movies.

Guest Calx Sherbet

i'm well aware they aren't good, but i love Cabin Fever and Hostel. and any Saw movie that's under a 7.0.

and let's not forget the Maniac Cop trilogy

Session 9

Tommy Boy

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

TRON

Children of the Corn

The Lost Boys

Mad Max

All great choices

Troll 2 - 2.0

YES!! oh god thank you. can anyone beat that??

this is a great thread

Twin Peaks is something I have never gotten round to watching. I love Lynch's work though, so its only a matter of time. It is watch the series first, and then the film? Or vice verca...

SPACEBALLS - genius film (6.9)

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0094012/

Series first; the film is chronologically a prequel but it assumes knowledge of the show and would spoil it otherwise.

Note that season two of the series is incredibly uneven, though. I love Twin Peaks and it still took some effort.

Guest Calx Sherbet

Wayne's World (rated 6.9)

this too.

Dumb and Dumber and From Dusk til Dawn came pretty close

Guest Z_B_Z

seems like people are more harsh on his newer stuff, what with the discarding of his "body horror" theme and all..

just watched scanners and that film does indeed have a kick ass soundtrack.

Twin Peaks is something I have never gotten round to watching. I love Lynch's work though, so its only a matter of time. It is watch the series first, and then the film? Or vice verca...

SPACEBALLS - genius film (6.9)

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0094012/

Series first; the film is chronologically a prequel but it assumes knowledge of the show and would spoil it otherwise.

Note that season two of the series is incredibly uneven, though. I love Twin Peaks and it still took some effort.

I think that's partially because the networks took over and Lynch relinquished control of the series around then and only come back for the last episode.

wonderous thread!

my pick is

The Ninth Gate (6.6)

fuck all of you who hate this film...

fuck you in your butts!!!

and in your 13 year olds! :ohmy:

Guest theSun

wonderous thread!

my pick is

The Ninth Gate (6.6)

fuck all of you who hate this film...

fuck you in your butts!!!

and in your 13 year olds! :ohmy:

haha! the best thing about the 9th gate is that they filmed the whole thing with just 1 camera

wonderous thread!

my pick is

The Ninth Gate (6.6)

Good call. I actually like this movie because everyone seems almost bored in it. With so many movies trying so hard to get your attention, it's nice to see one where everyone's parts are kind of underacted. I also like the subject matter. Even the silly finale with the weird sex scene and Frank Langella setting himself on fire.

Guest theSun

wonderous thread!

my pick is

The Ninth Gate (6.6)

Good call. I actually like this movie because everyone seems almost bored in it. With so many movies trying so hard to get your attention, it's nice to see one where everyone's parts are kind of underacted. I also like the subject matter. Even the silly finale with the weird sex scene and Frank Langella setting himself on fire.

yeah that's probably one of the weirdest endings ever in a film. love the shot of the dead handicapped granny tho

Z_B_Z

wonderous thread!

my pick is

The Ninth Gate (6.6)

This, the music, the look and feel is amazing in it.....

The subject matter interests me greatly, not just the 'Satan' aspects, but the occult/esoteric stuff....

Depp being a book detective (which I have never seen portrayed)....

Searching for a book written by Satan himself is just a great idea...

Depp is usually a pretty cool cat in most of his films but in this one he seems cooler than usual, in a 'beat' kind of way....

the film comes alive with more viewings and was the perfect match up with 'Eyes Wide Shut' the year it came out....

felt like I was seeing films made for just myself that year and Frank Langella, oh how I love this man, so fucking dark and deceptive in this film, great actor!

The mysterious, 'answer for yourself' aspects of the film also make me love it, giving a depth that most films don't have....

Ed Wood's filmography.

Oh yeah I saw Plan 9 From Outer Space in a cinema during a festival with a friend of mine and we were like : "Omfg this thing is really fun yet impressive".

I'm adding Daft Punk's Electroma to my list. Rating 6.7 ! That's a shame.

Weird Science and Pretty in Pink because I like lame John Hughes/brat pack teen movies.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Gummo

Scanners

eXistenZ

and fuck yes, Troll 2

Guest abusivegeorge

Z_B_Z

wonderous thread!

my pick is

The Ninth Gate (6.6)

This, the music, the look and feel is amazing in it.....

The subject matter interests me greatly, not just the 'Satan' aspects, but the occult/esoteric stuff....

Depp being a book detective (which I have never seen portrayed)....

Searching for a book written by Satan himself is just a great idea...

Depp is usually a pretty cool cat in most of his films but in this one he seems cooler than usual, in a 'beat' kind of way....

the film comes alive with more viewings and was the perfect match up with 'Eyes Wide Shut' the year it came out....

felt like I was seeing films made for just myself that year and Frank Langella, oh how I love this man, so fucking dark and deceptive in this film, great actor!

The mysterious, 'answer for yourself' aspects of the film also make me love it, giving a depth that most films don't have....

Fucking yes, I too love this film.

Guest analogue wings

I get sad every time I see a big up for Gummo. If you can't spot all the art movie cliches in that movie (i.e. 100% of the movie), than you need to enrich your life and watch more art movies

IMDB has it right on that one :sorcerer:

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I vaguely remember watching The Ninth Gate when I was like 11 years old or something and I thought it was slightly boring and cheesy. I will have to see it again.

Archived