IGNORED

If The Earth Stood Still

Joyrex

Guest mafted

cool article. he forgot the having no gravity part, though. there'd be nothing to hold the oceans, let alone us and the atmosphere.

i was waiting for him to go in to how it would stop, or if it were a gradual slow down. the oceans would move around in that situation, but if it just stopped we'd all fly out in to the cosmos at 26,000 mph or so.

Guest Drahken

I'm surprised I haven't seen this on ATS...oh wait, I forgot they don't like science unless it involves reptilians or conspiracy.

Guest mafted

there would still be gravity

yea, i guess that's true. i keep thinking gravity is from rotation like the space station in 2001.

when superman tried stopping the earth and rotating it backwards he caused TIME to run backwards. so that's obviously what would happen.

do you think you could "scratch" with the earth? a bit like when eddie murphy does that thing in that eastern temple in goldenchild.

there would still be gravity

a million percent this. but if the earth stopped rotating, we'd all be wrecked.

I think so. I'd imagine huge chunks of the earth's crust would dislodge and enter orbit. Unless the force that stopped the earth from spinning wasn't god's hand pinching a marble but more like some kind of temporary change of physics which would stop every subatomic particle at exactly the same time in the same way, then we wouldn't immediately notice the drastic velocity change. basically if everything in earths vicinity lost inertia for a split second.

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

The speed of rotation varies between the poles and the equator.

it takes an infinite time for the North Pole to spin around Earth's axis

Depends which pole you're talking about. There's the magnetic pole and the actual pole.

Thanks, Earth, for wobbling.

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

Depends which pole you're talking about. There's the magnetic pole and the actual pole.

Thanks, Earth, for wobbling.

I'm clearly talking about the southern north pole

edit: added clearly for clarity

There would also be 6 months of daylight leading into 6 months of darkness, now that would be fucked up.

That's how it is up North...

Well yes, but if this were to happen the rest of us would experience it too.

Archived