IGNORED

OK, Time For A Rant

Joyrex

OK, first one of these I heard of was Wevie Stonder, and recently I've heard of the likes of:

Com Truse

Joy Oribison

I mean, WTF - do they think they're clever riffing off a popular artist's name?

Are there any other examples of stupid shit like this?

Oh, and GET THE FUCK off mah lawn! :emotawesomepm9:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Duran Duran Duran is a great name for a band, to be honest.

That's probably the worst offender - not only is he riffing off a popular 80's/90's band, (who in turn took their name from a sci-fi movie, Barbarella), but then he directly riffs off the reference the original band refers to, but doesn't bother changing it at all!

There's also Jah Division (not new, though)

That could be some sort of coinkidink. Do they play reggae ye? I mean division isnt exactly the most abstract of words for a band name.

You could tell me that their name has nothing to do with Joy Division and I'd believe it.

i'm gonna go ahead and call this thread hipster.

a few years ago I was in a noise group called "the roy joy orbivision" (hadn't heard of joy orbison at that point)... but that group was actually nothing but creepy roy orbison covers about hannah montana and anal with the uptown girl, etc.

anyway. the trend may or may not have gained popularity with the rise of gnarls barkeley, which is actually an ok name.

Com Truse

Joy Oribison

I agree that it is kind of cheesy, but these two get a pass because they make really good music!

I haven't heard Joy Orbison but Com Truise does get a pass.

Very lame, this one. :facepalm:

Bit Meddler is the cleverest one.

Indeed! I like. Never heard the music though.

But yeah all in all, it's kind of a lame trend that does indeed seem to have started with Gnarls Barkley.

Guest dilbthelame

Bit Meddler is the cleverest one.

Indeed! I like. Never heard the music though.

But yeah all in all, it's kind of a lame trend that does indeed seem to have started with Gnarls Barkley.

i don't get either of these. am i doing it wrong?

also, i'm looking forward to about 10 years or so when these bands get the same thing happening to them.

weviestevie stonderwonder

duran duran duran duran duran.

Is it a big deal or problem for you with that? Jesus. I like Duran Duran Duran, and also would like his music even when his name was Marylin Monroe, Jesus, John Pope or whatever. I'm completely neutral about artists name.

Is it a big deal or problem for you with that? Jesus. I like Duran Duran Duran, and also would like his music even when his name was Marylin Monroe, Jesus, John Pope or whatever. I'm completely neutral about artists name.

Exactly, I'd still love the music of Richard D James even if he called himself Gaysex Chin, it's all about the music mannnn, etc.

Guest Z_B_Z

yeah i dont like this trend. lame. i dont think it would annoy me if it was just one or two bands but it seems like theres a shitload. its just being lazy.. not creative at all..

Archived