IGNORED

Desire As Procrastination

ZoeB

I think you take this far too seriously.

if you find yourself pining over gear all the time, then wouldnt it be safe to assume that what interests you predominantly is gear, not the act of using it to make music, but the aquisition and joy of fiddling with it.

I wouldnt say thats a bad thing, its fun to do, can be an expensive hobby but whatever. Just accept the fact you're a tech head and get on with life.

You could probably continue this debate into trying to identify whats digital or analogue in a track. If you're main interest is the musical aspect, then what should it bother you how it's made.

It's like looking at a painting and wondering what brush is used, it bares absolutely no relevance. Except of course if you are WELL into brushes.

I definately lust over kit, but I know it's because I love pissing about with synths, not because i assume it will add anything to the music I write. That's more likely to happen through writting more music.

I think it's healthy (for me at least) to keep those 2 parts seperate. My joy of playing with kit, and my efforts of actual composition. Obviously they can come together a lot of the time, but not in a forced way.

Just dedicate time into just playing with stuff, without the expectations of getting music out of it, and just writting music without feeling like you need expencive kit to finish it.

I started building a home cinema because I love movies and now I just sit there tweaking the equipment, haven't watched a film for months. :facepalm:

Thankfully I'm not the same with my music.

Archived