IGNORED

Is Squarepusher Attempting To Go "Mainstream"?

Joyrex

it's not catchy enough to go mainstream, if it was then your theory would make more sense. maybe WArp really believes in him, after all they did release 'solo electric bass'

Ooooh, burn. 100% agree with you there though :closedeyes:

I personally don't think Tom himself is trying to go "mainstream", but I would argue this is his most accessible music to date, and the most resembling (at least on the surface) the other WARP acts they've been apt to sign recently in pursuit of the almighty pound sterling - Perhaps he's starting to see the commercial value in his talents, and is starting to finally reap the benefits (nothing at all wrong with that).

And really, by mainstream I mean more in a WARP Records sense of mainstream, akin to the current signings they have that fit that mould, versus the camp Tom came from that WARP originally consisted of.

Guest maantecaaa!!!

I don't think he's going mainstream. What's been released so far is not electronic enough to attract dance music listeners, not funky enough to attract people who like a good groove, and not 'rocky' enough to attract people who like guitar-based music.

I pray to god the actual album is better than the steaming pile that's been released so far.

I don't think he's going mainstream. What's been released so far is not electronic enough to attract dance music listeners, not funky enough to attract people who like a good groove, and not 'rocky' enough to attract people who like guitar-based music.

I pray to god the actual album is better than the steaming pile that's been released so far.

Spot on! And his melodies are too elevator for people who like jazz.

Guest Gbiscuit

Curious... but what's the problem with the 'Pusher going mainstream? I'm not feeling the new stuff at all but if he gets more recognition from the mainstream music press, more power to him, at least I'll have more real people to talk with about Tom Jenkinson and (hopefully) the numerous intellectual merits of various other Braindance acts. :emotawesomepm9:

I may not like where he's going, but as long as he's having fun. Respect.

Archived