IGNORED

back john cage's 4'33" to beat cowell's next shite

keltoi

Guest disparaissant

man the comments on that article are priceless. HOW ABOUT WE USE CHRISTMAS SONG BY DAVE MATTHEWS how about you're missing the point entirely? 4'33" is far superior to anything cowell could back

if they wanted to use a christmas song though i'd recommend something from karl blau's "coconutcracker suite" (lo fi reggae covers of tchaikovsky) or john maus' this is the beat

Guest Gary C

4'33" is the best possible song to make a protest against mainstream music, but I seriously doubt that enough people can get behind it to trump Cowell.

Killing in the Name isn't a great song, but there are at least a lot of metal/alternative fans who genuinely enjoy that music and only needed a little nudge to buy it.

People spending money on silence might be too much.

4'33" is the best possible song to make a protest against mainstream music, but I seriously doubt that enough people can get behind it to trump Cowell.

Killing in the Name isn't a great song, but there are at least a lot of metal/alternative fans who genuinely enjoy that music and only needed a little nudge to buy it.

remember all those arseholes bought killing in the name and cowell laughed all the way to the bank (was on his label innit).

Guest Dirty Protest

The commentators should be tied to a chair and beaten with a kettle lead. There isnt enough silence in media anymore, was a time when BBC2 was full of it, I miss that.

Wasnt like that in my day, had to queue 8 hours for a potato......etc

Guest Coalbucket PI

remember all those arseholes bought killing in the name and cowell laughed all the way to the bank (was on his label innit).

They were both on Sony BMG but I don't think Simon Cowell owns that.

This won't work again because every cunt and his mum has a suggestion so there isn't much chance of any one campaign getting enough support

I have my doubts too but who knows; cage is an icon in a way that rage against the machine can never be and the silent piece is his most iconic work. I'll buy it anyway.

Here is a really interesting conversation between the man himself and morton feldman (for my money, the greatest composer america has ever produced) in which they discuss the "intrusion" of popular music being played in public on transistor radios on the beach. Cage takes the view that it's just incidental noise and can be regarded as music of an aleatoric sort... sooooo if cowell wins it could still be seen as a posthumously composed cage piece when combined with ambient noise... in my mind.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I read this as BEAT JOHHNNY CAGE even though I already read the the thread title a few times before... MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest futuregirlfriend

you can buy the track for nuthin'

MORNING. TODAY, GET 4'33" ON M-FLOW. THEY PAY, NOT YOU - MONEY STILL GOES TO CHARITY, AND IT EFFECTS THE CHART.

1) register or log in at http://www.mflow.com/

2) click on your name in the top right of the screen

3) on the drop down menu click 'redeem code'

4) Type in XMAS to the redeem code box-it then puts £1 credit in your account

5) Search 'Cage Against The Machine' and then click to buy it with the credit.

then further down the facebook comments someone says "Apparently BIRDISTHEWORD also adds anothr quid"

Guest Adjective

10. Mary - Tue 5 Oct 2010 15:34 BST

So much for the intelligensia. For that kind of money I can do silence too. Wake up and smell the coffee. The Sound of Silence would be a better choice.

Guest Dirty Protest

Against all the odds, Im glad ive never signed up to face book.

I started using Twitter a couple of weeks ago. I dont like it.

Edit: Anyone got the midweek chart placings? If its close I could be bothered doing that.

Edit: Looks like it isnt even in the running.

X Factor winner Matt Cardle is poised to clinch this year's Christmas number one as he tops the midweek charts.

Matt's single, a cover of Biffy Clyro's When We Collide, has now sold more than 170,000 copies in its first two days of release, more than three times that of current second place single What's My Name by Rihanna.

Despite several online campaigns from anti-X Factor groups also competiting for the coveted number one slot, Matt's single looks almost certain to stay on top.

The leading artist in the Christmas rebellion so far is The Trashmen, with a resurgence of their infectious 1963 single Surfin' Bird, which is currently at the number three slot.

The Black Eyed Peas look set to hold at number four with their Dirty Dancing remix The Time (Dirty Bit) while Ellie Goulding's cover of Your Song will be pushed back to number five

In the Official Album Charts, Take That's Progress is leading the way and looks set to be the biggest selling album right through the Christmas season, having left the chart since its release in November.

Is it strange that my first thought upon reading the thread title was Henry Cowell?

no.

thought this was about a duel between john cage and henry cowell lol

thought this was about a duel between john cage and henry cowell lol

I did too.

Archived