IGNORED

Pretty Hate Machine re-issue

Guest Fishtank

Guest Greg Reason

Yeah I don't think it sounds particularly dated. Been a while since I played it, but still.

I think this is one of those you-had-to-be-there sort of albums. I love NIN to bits but I find this album to be extremely dated sounding. General MIDI as all fuck!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't think it sounds particularly dated. Been a while since I played it, but still.

I think this is one of those you-had-to-be-there sort of albums. I love NIN to bits but I find this album to be extremely dated sounding. General MIDI as all fuck!!

General MIDI? lol

General MIDI wasn't even a standard in 1989

Guest Greg Reason

General MIDI? lol

General MIDI wasn't even a standard in 1989

Holy shit so it's pre pre historic :cisfor:

Oh man, it really does sound dated. Hahaha

Doesn't really need a remaster though I agree. A lot of the time the "sound" of an album is what makes it so memorable. Although, there are some albums that could use touching up... Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate by Skinny Puppy stands out as one for me.

Ok "not dated" was probably the wrong choice of words. Of course it's dated in the sense that it sounds like it came out when it did, but the recording quality doesn't sound bad enough that I would have thought "hmm I wish this would get remastered". Remastering an album won't make it sound like it was written/recorded in 2010. Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique, for example. I can't hear much of a difference to be honest, and even if the bass is a bit clearer or something, it still sounds like it's from 1989. A better example might be Licensed to Ill, no way any remaster is going to make that sound current, lol.

I'm not too fussed about this if it's just a straight remaster. If there's some kind of bonus track action then I might be tempted but I dunno I get more of a nostalgia kick of it as it is...

...which is why I don't understand that sentiment. This album and Broken are the only ones that have a bit of sonic identity - everything from TDS onwards is shooting from the same hip. Which is OK but I definitely wish Trendy would just change things a bit sometimes.

Doesn't really need a remaster though I agree. A lot of the time the "sound" of an album is what makes it so memorable. Although, there are some albums that could use touching up... Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate by Skinny Puppy stands out as one for me.

No need to be dissing the CF&M. It's fine the way it is... if it was touched up they probably trying make the vocals more understandable and I don't think anybody needs that.

No need to be dissing the CF&M. It's fine the way it is... if it was touched up they probably trying make the vocals more understandable and I don't think anybody needs that.

No no, I'm not dissing it, I love the album! Maybe it's my copy, it just doesn't sound right to me... Like, even Bites and Mind sound better, quality wise. Probably just me.

Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate sounds fine to me. I played Remission and Bites last week and they don't sound like they need a remaster either. They are a product of their time, but the production doesn't sound too thin or too quiet or anything.

Guest Greg Reason

Burn is the only song i can still listen to .. that was a fine track.

What about Eraser?! The Becoming? Leaving Hope? The Downward Spiral? Just Like You Imagined? Ripe (With Decay)? The Way Out is Through?

Guest Deep Fried Everything

An album from the same era that desperately needs a remaster is Faith No More's The Real Thing.

AGREED

i don't think PHM needs a remaster, but whatev's. if he would've instead remastered purest feeling and released that as a bonus disc i would've bought this in a second.

Burn is the only song i can still listen to .. that was a fine track.

What about Eraser?! The Becoming? Leaving Hope? The Downward Spiral? Just Like You Imagined? Ripe (With Decay)? The Way Out is Through?

ok yea, the becoming is good. interesting that CFM came up earlier as parts of PHM remind me of it, like some of the synth lines in Tear or Beat.

^I like NIN, but I do have to admit some of the lyrics on PHM are pretty emo:

How could you turn me into this?

After you just taught me how to kiss you.

I told you I'd never say goodbye.

Now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry.

Really, though, how many people here listen to NIN primarily for the lyrics? *doesn't raise hand*

I agree, I have never really enjoyed a lot of Trent's lyrics anyway throughout the whole of his work. I do however think that he did an excellent job putting together the music behind PHM hence why I rate it as one of his best -- the synths he used were used very well. Some of his catchiest work is on that album.

• 4 weeks later...

Do they just brickwall shit so that DJ's can play it in clubs or what?

the loudness war

Trent :facepalm:

i was gonna get the remaster of The Fragile on vinyl, after this i shall not be spending any money on any new Nine Inch Nails records. this is fucking terrible.

ok, i found one on a site ("2010 Remaster"), but the uploader mastered himself ("jim"), so... probably is this version that's wandering around, and not the original that's coming on monday.

ok, i found one on a site ("2010 Remaster"), but the uploader mastered himself ("jim"), so... probably is this version that's wandering around, and not the original that's coming on monday.

i got mine from what.cd

not the same the one you're talking about

Guest Lucy Faringold

Just been doing some direct comparisons between the two versions on my Sennheisers. First impressions are that it's really fucking loud! Some will say too loud. Taking volume difference into account they've certainly added a significant amount of body to the low frequencies. Sounds like the mids are more aggressive too; certainly a lot more bite in certain areas. Basically it's very punchy; every element of the mix jumps out more. The flipside is that it's a more fatiguing listen and you could argue that it takes away from the 'feel' of the original. Certainly the new mix feels less 'of its time' than the original and some might argue it has less character as a result.

To be honest though I think it's good that they've gone to town on it. It's not like there was anything 'wrong' with the original that they needed to fix, so that's always there to listen to if you want to. I prefer to think of this reissue as a new version rather a remaster and I think what they've done with the artwork reflects that.

Archived