IGNORED

Steven Spielberg's Adventures of TINTIN

karmakramer

Guest disparaissant

wow that was a pretty solid mix of WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?!?! and OH MY GOD I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!!!! definitely parts where the massive tintin nerd in me was like FUCK YES though. can't wait either way.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whaaaaa, this just looks wrong :(

Tintin just looks too young, like a 11 year old maybe. Not right. I'm sure I will go and see it when it comes out but I suspect I'll have to comfort myself with the original animated version afterwards.

also, not surprised they didn't have the dialogue in French, but they could at least have got Canadian voices like the English dubs for the originals. Pfff, would say I'm dissapointed but can't say I'm surprised.

Guest disparaissant

oh and re haddock's nose

captain-haddock.gif

looks like a tumourball to me

i mean he's an alcoholic, it's a "drinkin far too much" nose. like pt barnum when he was getting old.

Guest disparaissant

Ì thought it would look worse, but it's not half bad. Maybe it will turn out to be OK.

yeah that teaser was worrying, this is still a bit worrying, but actually a LOT better than i was expecting. even with the weird uncanny valley stuff

Guest Gary C

When one of the twins hit the lamppost the physics looked really odd.

And every face looks very Fronds.

3367263963_ff7e5b4859.jpg

yeah the dog tripping and lampost hitting physics looks really bad, but maybe it's like "a cartoon" or something.

but yeah this acutally looks pretty great. and yes the HUGE tintin nerd in me was really excited.

BUT COME ON, WE'RE NOT GONNA GET "A TEN THOUSAND THUNDERING TYPHOONS" IN THE FUCKING PREVIEW????

Whaaaaa, this just looks wrong :(

Tintin just looks too young, like a 11 year old maybe. Not right. I'm sure I will go and see it when it comes out but I suspect I'll have to comfort myself with the original animated version afterwards.

also, not surprised they didn't have the dialogue in French, but they could at least have got Canadian voices like the English dubs for the originals. Pfff, would say I'm dissapointed but can't say I'm surprised.

Canadian voices would have pissed me right off. That's your childhood, mine was from reading the books. I do agree though that tin tin could have looked a little older, but then again, he's drawn almost like an adolescent anyway.

I think that this might be passable.

Screenplay is by Steven Moffat (Doctor Who), so I have high hopes

That's had the opposite effect on me. Plus they don't need a real screen play, so much as just shoot the comic. No 'this would be clever, we're so good at filmvision (repeat)' moments would creep in then.

Whaaaaa, this just looks wrong :(Tintin just looks too young, like a 11 year old maybe. Not right. I'm sure I will go and see it when it comes out but I suspect I'll have to comfort myself with the original animated version afterwards. also, not surprised they didn't have the dialogue in French, but they could at least have got Canadian voices like the English dubs for the originals. Pfff, would say I'm dissapointed but can't say I'm surprised.
Canadian voices would have pissed me right off. That's your childhood, mine was from reading the books. I do agree though that tin tin could have looked a little older, but then again, he's drawn almost like an adolescent anyway. I think that this might be passable.
That's had the opposite effect on me. Plus they don't need a real screen play, so much as just shoot the comic. No 'this would be clever, we're so good at filmvision (repeat)' moments would creep in then.

No, to be fair I'm the same, read them all long before seeing the animated versions, but never the less. it was exciting to see the animations, see the characters come to life, and his voice in those has stayed in my head as Tintin's voice. just wondering if they're using real dog barks for snowy, or a guy doing them.

had no idea that Steven Moffat was involved. adds an interesting slant. he's written some cracking Dr Who episodes but the last series was pretty terrible. wish Rory would just fkn die already!!

anyways, kinda off topic, my girlfriend is from the flemish part of Belgium, her dad (like most Belgian guys his age) is a massive comic fan. Tintin, Jommeke, Kiekeboe, etc, and so she's been raised with all that kinda stuff around the house. anyways, showed her the trailer for the film and she goes "what the fuck TINTIN??, his names Kuifje, and his dog is called Bobby!!"

I just wonder if, when they release the dubbed or subbed versions, they'll use the original character names for the French and Flemish versions, somehow I doubt it..

Interesting point. It wouldn't cost them anything to adhere to the local cultural sensibilities, so i don't see why they wouldn't use the correct names. Also you would imagine, that most involved in the francophone dub would eagerly point out the dichotomy, just as your girlfriend did.

my girlfriend is from the flemish part of Belgium, her dad (like most Belgian guys his age) is a massive comic fan. Tintin, Jommeke, Kiekeboe, etc, and so she's been raised with all that kinda stuff around the house. anyways, showed her the trailer for the film and she goes "what the fuck TINTIN??, his names Kuifje, and his dog is called Bobby!!"

As a flemish guy, I must say it's kinda ignorant of her if she never heard that Kuifje is called Tintin nearly everywhere else in the world (it is his friggin' original name)

And it would be nice if at least one or two voices had some Belgian accents in them, whether it be french, flemish or even german. And Tintin does look too frigging young.

All in all, I guess it doesn't look all THAT bad. I still don't think I would like the movie tho.

Guest rumbo

I don't think Uncanny Valley really applies here. There's enough stylisation for it to not affect me. My biggest worry is that the lip syncing is not right. Already the animals don't behave correctly. In most cartoony 3D animation it's not a problem, but this has enough of a realism factor that I think it will bother me.

Guest analogue wings

Yeah they rejected the Russel T Davies screenplay...

In that one, Tintin and Haddock wake up (in separate beds but wearing matching PJs), and Haddock declares "I'm going down t'shop tae git some fags innit och ae leprechaun guvnor"

At this point Murray Gold's "epic" and "emotional" "score" begins to play (ft Celene Dion and the London Philharmonic). If you wear special earphones you can actually hear the cheese.

Tintin and Haddock spend the remainder of the film's 2 hour runtime tearfully saying goodbye to each other.

I don't think Uncanny Valley really applies here. There's enough stylisation for it to not affect me. My biggest worry is that the lip syncing is not right. Already the animals don't behave correctly. In most cartoony 3D animation it's not a problem, but this has enough of a realism factor that I think it will bother me.

:shrug:

my girlfriend is from the flemish part of Belgium, her dad (like most Belgian guys his age) is a massive comic fan. Tintin, Jommeke, Kiekeboe, etc, and so she's been raised with all that kinda stuff around the house. anyways, showed her the trailer for the film and she goes "what the fuck TINTIN??, his names Kuifje, and his dog is called Bobby!!"

As a flemish guy, I must say it's kinda ignorant of her if she never heard that Kuifje is called Tintin nearly everywhere else in the world (it is his friggin' original name)

And it would be nice if at least one or two voices had some Belgian accents in them, whether it be french, flemish or even german. And Tintin does look too frigging young.

All in all, I guess it doesn't look all THAT bad. I still don't think I would like the movie tho.

ah noo, sure she realises that in the French version his name is Tintin, I meant more in terms of secondary characters. In the originals, both French and Flemish, Snowy is not called snowy, Thompson and Thomson are not called Thompson and Thomson, Prof Calculus is not called Prof Calculus etc etc... Those are the ones I'm curious about.

But exactly, would be nice if they had some accents in there, not just bland British and US voices. It's like that film In Bruges, where there are no accents to speak of, aside from one 'local' with a French accent?! Just seemed a bit ignorant..

I'd always thought Tintin was in his late teens early 20s, he does look a bit young in the comics, but then, all the characters do. the trailers make him look like a boy, not a young man.

Guest rumbo

:shrug:

I knew someone would pick up on that! The humans are obviously mocap, but the animals don't seem to move with the same realism.

ah noo, sure she realises that in the French version his name is Tintin, I meant more in terms of secondary characters. In the originals, both French and Flemish, Snowy is not called snowy, Thompson and Thomson are not called Thompson and Thomson, Prof Calculus is not called Prof Calculus etc etc... Those are the ones I'm curious about.

Yeah for me the only real names are Tintin, Milou (the dog), Dupont et Dupond, Professeur Tournesol et le Capitaine Haddock!

Guest futuregirlfriend

semi-autobiographical comic series by jimmy somerville published by dc in the early '90s.

Archived