IGNORED

watmm photographers

keltoi

Not really hdr in film, no. They do colour grading, and lately crushing blacks and turning highlights into a muddy brown/green/grey mess seems to be the cool thing to do, especially if its some "edgy" b grade sci fi stuff. I don't understand it.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got myself a macro lens last week (Canon 100mm f2.8 USM), still very much a beginner with that lens type and my shaky hands from medication are not the very best of friends with it in all but the best of lighting conditions. This came out OK though -

a908fa4afb8e4648b1b0294af0f9476f.JPEG

If I identified it correctly, this animal is a real cunt! I mistook it for a cranefly once and it bit or stung me, hurt like hell! Seriously it is SUCH a cunt of an animal...!

I had that bastard lens stolen from my house last week (along with Dvds, PS3 games and my old laptop). We highly suspect my flat mates ex girlfriend has / sold it all.

But yeah I didn't get a chance to see if the insect was a cunt or not - it looked like one so I squashed the bastard.

Not really hdr in film, no. They do colour grading, and lately crushing blacks and turning highlights into a muddy brown/green/grey mess seems to be the cool thing to do, especially if its some "edgy" b grade sci fi stuff. I don't understand it.

i didn't mean in film film, i mean movies in general, whether film or digital, but yeah, what you said...

So I just bought a flash for my camera and a friend lent me his 30mm so I'm having a lot of fun taking shots at gigs and such. It's a whole other thing now when working out the right exposure etc as I had this pretty much down when taking shots without flash. a bit frustrating but I'm learning.

Next up I'm ebaying a microscoping and then drilling/fitting a new eye piece to have a go at photomicrography. I'll post pics when I have it all set up; should be fun :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got this for christmas

tumblr_llsg1sCQy11qzzvi3o1_400.jpg

Looking forward to learning a bit and taking some better photos. I'm probably off to New Zealand on holiday at the end of the year and so want to get some cool photos of hobbits and shit.

I'm waiting for my new computer to come in so I can actually do thangs with my camera again. I had to go and order one of those new iMacs and get into a months long queue for delivery. I am stupid.

So... question: Aperture or Lightroom for OS X?

I really need to be able to tweak pics again. My current computer is shot to hell. Got some decent compositions here and there on my last trip, but pretty much all of them need minor editing which I couldn't do.

can any of you photography fans recommend other shooters like leon levinstein? b&w street style photography... i imagine goffer might be able to make a suggestion or 2?

(sorry for photography 'appreciation' tangent rather than 'taking', it wasn't worth making a thread)

^ inspiration to shoot some b&w film.

btw, i like louis faurer and brassai in a similar vein (although i believe brassai meticulously staged his shots rather than captured real life).

and just found harold feinstein...

images-feinstein2.jpg?w=753&h=494

can any of you photography fans recommend other shooters like leon levinstein? b&w street style photography... i imagine goffer might be able to make a suggestion or 2?

(sorry for photography 'appreciation' tangent rather than 'taking', it wasn't worth making a thread)

Levinstein is great... you can start at the source:

Henri Cartier-Bresson:

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/henri_cartier_bresson_bicycle.jpg

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/henri_cartier_bresson_children.jpg

Garry Winogrand:

http://www.masters-of-photography.com/images/full/winogrand/winogrand_flip.jpg

William Eggleston: (not really "street", but he has some very interesting people shots)

http://www.fandor.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/william-eggleston2.jpeg

Bruce Gilden:

Joel Meyerowitz: (does great color work)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mduok82Ue11qmmzzq.jpg

That should get you started... also a really good video to checkout:

http://vimeo.com/6497905

Just spent a huge chunk of my savings on the new Voightlander 21mm f1.8 and a Leica M-E... pretty sure I'm sick in the head.

• 1 month later...

question

shoot in colour or black and white?

i like black and white a LOT but sometimes a bit of colour i OK

or shoot in colour and change to b&w in photoshop

i just dunno

question

shoot in colour or black and white?

i like black and white a LOT but sometimes a bit of colour i OK

or shoot in colour and change to b&w in photoshop

i just dunno

Shoot colour then change it in photoshop. Shooting black and white in Camera gives you less options.

I normally convert to b & w if I have a busy and distracting background.

I've not used my camera in weeks! :(

delicatessen , city of lost children and amelie, what's going on there??

Archived