IGNORED

Autonomic DNB / Minimal DNB

autopilot

Got some goodies for yall.

First is a free download. New mix of this style. About 40% original tunes:
https://soundcloud.com/vaxxn/street-spirit

This single just came out today!
https://soundcloud.com/gradient-audio/grd054-vax-sleight-embody

If you'd like you can grab that single from Gradient Audio's Bandcamp for a measly $2. Links to that & all the other retailers on the Soundcloud page.

Big ups!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

interview with DBridge with some comments re Autonomic/Heart Drive

How did you meet Instra:Mental?

Down at Swerve too, but I also wanted to meet them after I heard their thing on Soul:R. It really blew my mind. It was nice to meet someone who is likeminded. I just seemed to get on with them really well and we bonded over Jägermeister, I think. (laughs)

Yeah, that’s a special bond. And was there also something special for you working with them?

Yeah, definitely. It was quite a way to get to their studio, it was literally on the other side of London. So I had to get on the Tube every day to the end of the line, get picked up and taken to their studio, which was on an Island in the middle of the Thames. So it was always a big adventure to get there and then we got there and there was all this outboard equipment and it was just fun again. We’ve gotten used to kind of working in a box, on laptops. It was almost like they were stuck in the past, but it was good they had that approach. And it was nice as well to look around in the studio and realise, “Actually I’ve got most of this stuff.” It just has been dotted around London, because I left it in certain places and let people borrow it. So it was good to bring all my stuff back together and up to their studio. Yeah, the period around 2007-2009 was a really good time musically with Autonomic and where that took us. Really good time.

You did the Autonomic Podcast and also a label called Autonomic. Did you do the podcast just to promote the label? What was the connection between the both of them?

Not at all, we actually did the label because people got on us, cause they wanted to have the tunes. So we realised that we have to release them. We kind of did envisage releasing a lot of stuff that we made for the podcast. It just never really happened and I am kind of glad in some ways, cause the podcast is a slice of history which I like. Good solid 12 layers and we didn’t like overdo it or water it down. I enjoy listen back to it and I can’t even remember half of the tunes.
I talked to Damon (Kid Drama from Intra:Mental) the other day, because someone started to upload some unreleased Instra:Mental tunes and there was a lot of the stuff, that we’ve done together, that I’ve completely forgotten about. And I literally went through my hard drive and found a lot of these great tunes, that still haven’t seen the light of day and hopefully never will.

Speaking of hard drive, is there any connection between Autonomic and your new podcast series HeartDrive?

I think there is kind of, it’s a connection between me and Damon at the core of it. You see Al (Boddika, the other half of Instra:Mental) isn’t there, but I think it’s again our interpretation of it. Some people maybe thought Autonomic was something else and they tried – and that’s the same with all music – to deconstruct it and reverse engineer it and then thought, “Oh, Autonomic is these snares and these sounds and this kind of thing.” But it’s not really about that. Me and Damon talking and looking back it’s more about emotion, friendly competition and pushing each other musically, fucking with rhythms and trying things out. So I think the emotion and the connection is definitely there. HeartDrive has parallels to Autonomic, but what we created there is hard to even try to repeat. Damon and me just wanted to work again together, so that’s probably the core of it and this is what we’ve come up with. Just the fact we were both involved will always give it that sort of sense running through it.

The work is different though, because Damon is based in Australia half the time so we’re getting used to working without being around. But I’m liking what’s coming out of it. I really enjoyed the third one, there’s some really good stuff on it – the Module Eight stuff. But for the next one we’ve set quite a little a challenge for ourselves. So I’m looking forward for the next one.

And Boddika didn’t want to join?

Boddika is doing his own thing. I know that Damon and him have been talking – I am not sure if they make any tunes again but maybe. I think he said something that was like, he will never do Drum & Bass again, so he is not allowed to come back. (laughs) No, of course he is. I’m sure that in time, if he’s around, it will happen. It’s hard to say something like, “I am not gonna do that again.” It’s just his talent at that tempo, so I’m sure, he has done some stuff that he has never played to anyone, secretly he is probably making a lot of it.

Now that you are making the HeartDrive podcast with a lot of new tunes as well, are you going to revive the Autonomic label to release some of them?

Not at the Autonomic label, but we’ve got something in production. We did in some ways regret, that a lot of that Autonomic stuff didn’t come out, so we are doing our best to get the HeartDrive stuff out. I don’t want to say too much, but we are working on it. They’ll be available this year.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

Good stuff! Thanks for posting.

That Kid Drama 'In Mind' EP on Exit is ridiculously good, and most of those tunes are in the Heart Drive podcasts.

yes, that was one of my favorite eps from last year.

• 2 years later...

That just sounds like generic mid 2000s idm tho

No offense tho. It is a deece track.

You are right, the tempo is pretty slow for being in the dnb area BUT the atmosphere is amazing. :) 

Archived