IGNORED

diggin' on tea

Guest Deep Fried Everything

At the cost of poor tasting tea! It doesn't take much longer either.

I have a theory that putting in the milk before the tea back has brewed inhibits flavour as the lactose binds to the tea leaves, but that's just a thought.

I 100% agree with this. The milk definitely "puts a stop" to the brewing and you end up with much less flavor.

Also, I like to pour my milk into a little cream pitcher to sit while I'm making the tea to get it to room temp before pouring it in. Don't want it too cool the tea down too fast.

Flavors are fun to experiment with but the go-to teas are PG Tips with milk n sugar or Earl Grey straight up. It's hard to beat the scent of Earl Grey leaves in the tin.

ARH! I'm glad you think this! Let's do an experiment.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

you are amazed people have preferences?

welcome to the world

aren't you the wizened old chap !

no, it just surprises me that people are religious about the stumpy buggers. i always bunged the mug in the microwave without so much as a second thought. kettle? grandma had one... she made jam preserves to store in the cellar too. how can you fuck up heated/boiling water?

Guest ezkerraldean

who the fuck makes tea in a microwave jesus christ :facepalm:

i risked life and limb fighting the nazis and for what? so the folks at home could make their tea in the microwave? sickening.

I haven't been able to take snopes seriously since

snopes.png

i am a chemical engineer and i believe that that article is mostly true. it takes near perfect conditions to superheat that amount of water. a perfectly clean cup, no dirt, little vibration, etc.

on topic, i work for unilever and as such can get any kind of lipton tea, gourmet or not, for cheap. plus they have a shit ton of it in the cafeteria for free, so i have been trying all the gourmet flavors for the past month or so.

Give me unilever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall make some tea.

booyah

although i've experienced superheating myself (it hurt).

if it's a relatively clean cup with only one or two nucleation sites and you don't provide the additional sites required (wooden stirrer or whatever) it can still happen. nucleation is a localised thing.

Guest hahathhat

I haven't been able to take snopes seriously since

snopes.png

i am a chemical engineer and i believe that that article is mostly true. it takes near perfect conditions to superheat that amount of water. a perfectly clean cup, no dirt, little vibration, etc.

on topic, i work for unilever and as such can get any kind of lipton tea, gourmet or not, for cheap. plus they have a shit ton of it in the cafeteria for free, so i have been trying all the gourmet flavors for the past month or so.

too bad lipton is shit.

also, i've had water superheat on me once. it was like a middle-school science project little BLARPPP of water on my kitchen table and no more. never happened since.

My electric kettle will boil a cup's worth in about 2 minutes, without risk of that crusty stuff at the top of the microwave falling in.

Just kidding, I clean that bitch frequently.

But there's always the residue you can't see.

RaAhBBk4Tpiwr9bf2lNxDGrco1_400.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nene multiple assgasms

I drink almost exclusively properly designated Darjeeling 1st Flush tea. :ok:

I recently got some second flush darjeeling, but I'm thinking I should have gone with first flush. so far I find it too bitter when brewed per the instructions (1 tsp per cup with 185 F water). maybe I've gotten too used to mellow green teas. I guess I'll try brewing it for a shorter time before I resort to adding any sugar or milk.

as far as using a thermometer goes, it can take the guesswork out of brewing teas that require cooler than boiling water. using one makes me feel sort of like alton brown. you can experiment to find just the right temperature for your favorite tea. just observing the bubbles in the pot works too, though. of course if all you drink is stuff that needs boiling water it's pointless.

i've wanted to get more into tea but didn't really know where or how to start (i wanna try loose leaf stuff) any suggestions for a good resource.

i've had mate de coca a couple times, it's decent as long as you don't try to psyche yourself into the whole cocaine angle, it's just a caffeine-like effect (different but certainly not intense or anything one would call a high)

as far as using a thermometer goes, it can take the guesswork out of brewing teas that require cooler than boiling water. using one makes me feel sort of like alton brown.

you, sir, have just sold me on tea-snobbery. now i just need to find a source for good tea.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

as far as using a thermometer goes, it can take the guesswork out of brewing teas that require cooler than boiling water. using one makes me feel sort of like alton brown.

you, sir, have just sold me on tea-snobbery. now i just need to find a source for good tea.

you could start by browsing amazon.

I haven't ordered from these sites, but they're supposedly good:

http://www.rishi-tea.com/

http://www.adagio.com/

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/

http://www.silkroadteas.com/

Archived