IGNORED

Being Festive

YEK

This is my favorite Christmas thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sz1j2Z7GQc

I 2nd that. Although it cuts out the bit where he drops it on him and he beats the crap outa him.

Yeah - but it took me forever to find this video because all the other videos were uploaded by idiots who had slowed it down, looped it for 2 minutes, 5 minutes, 60 minutes, and played it in reverse.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not celebrated Christmas in the conventional sense in a long while now, I just don't go in for it. I have enjoyed the last couple though drunk as a skunk on WATMM of all places. This year I'm working for the first time since perhaps 2005 (Xmas Eve and Xmas Day), and will have spent a maximum of £10 on presents which is my works Secret Santa.

So, any presents to self? Although I don't bother with Xmas, I figure I shouldn't miss out completely on all the mindless consumerism (especially as this is the first one I'll have been earning money for a while rather than being a student), and I've splashed out on a customised pair of Adidas Superstar via miadidas. For the rest of my booty, I can't decide between a new 24" monitor for my desktop or pushing things a bit and getting an iPad. Oh the joys of working/being single/not liking Xmas at Xmas. Wouldn't swap it for owt.

i chipped in on a cheap-ish laptop with my sister for my moms... it is the makings of her. she was completely computer-ignorant up until this point, but she's picking it up very quickly. gonna buy her a sweet external kb/mouse and mavis beacon teaches typing to give her on xmas day. she emailed me the other day to tell me she was cooking a nice dinner. my jaw dropped.

my sis, i never know what to get her, so imma get her vouchers you can spend in loads of different places.

my boy is easy to shop for - gonna get him steam bucks and a new headset for TF2 pwnage :emotawesomepm9:

we started decorating today... my oldest son is now at that age where he understands christmas. so it was pretty exciting to see him get all into it when we were putting up the tree, and my youngest son who is 16 months old feeds off of his big brother's enthusiasm and it's all good. so yeah... i do it for family. back in the day i hated christmas and the music. but now with children i like it.

yeah, christmas kinda loses meaning for a while til you have kids. i would argue that it then becomes even more awesome than it was when you were a kid... especially if you have a shared interest (ie FPS pwnage) with your offspring! :emotawesomepm9:

yeah, christmas kinda loses meaning for a while til you have kids. i would argue that it then becomes even more awesome than it was when you were a kid... especially if you have a shared interest (ie FPS pwnage) with your offspring!

That I can believe. OK then, I no longer see Christmas as shit, I'm just holding it in abeyance (no sarcasm). In the interim I'll try and get some cash stashed away in readiness.

I don't like christmas and I generally do a very good job of ignoring it aside from the 3 or 4 days I go back to visit my family... at which point I drink huge® amounts of booze and fall into serious seasonal depression.

Guest happycase

I'm actually disgusted with how middle class people "celebrate christmas." The spirit of this song called life is lost in all this consumption. People are only giving (a heart activity) vicariously.

Heart -> Money -> Giving

Anyway, that's what's to be expected of us as we are now.

Guest tht tne

i'll list the gifts i got for everyone i bought for:

mom - 1950s retro candy crate

hannah - $50 cash

ashley - $50 cash

gavin - simulacra & simulation, bluebeard, and quantum reality

mike - perry bible fellowship almanack

jenny - margaret becker's soul cd

tim - dallas cowboys' greatest games 10-dvd set

tanner - the complete wallace and gromit

helen - a poinsettia

Guest disparaissant

made the mistake of going to the mall yesterday. oh boy. social anxiety + a general dislike of christmas came to a near panic-inducing head when a marching band blocked the exit and started playing christmas music, gathering a huge crowd. it was like a madcap comedy. except only funny in retrospect.

but yeah. i dunno. despite my dislike of the holiday i don't mind the general season as long as i'm not really out and about. it's so... unchristmasy around the mall. we got cut off like 8 times and honked at and people were all just in their own bubble and EVERYONE FOR THEMSELVES and i dunno.

humbug

Our Xmas tree...

74658_10150354280245287_813245286_16357253_1174695_n.jpg

Getting the tree was a uniquely "Brooklyn" experience.

Our Christmas tree vendor, when a Hummer honked at him for blocking the street while showing us a tree: "Get the fuck out of my face, I don't give a fuck, I'll cut you."

At one point, a group of bikers that looked The Hells Angels almost ran me over and pulled up next to his tree stand. He then said under his breath something like "These fuckin guys are always riding my ass" and Frances asked if he was talk...ing about the bikers. He said "No. Those are my boys... When you grow up in Brooklyn, you know those are the guys you don't fuck with".

When we were leaving, we paid for the tree and asked about tree stands. He said we should get the plastic one that you can pour water in. My wife asked "What about the metal ones?", to which he passionately replied "The metal ones suck!". It was like something hit a sore spot. That was my favorite part.

He did wished us happy holidays about 3 times though (although he sounded really upset every time).

No tree this year or any Christmas decorations this year, it's probably for the best as the Halloween ones only came down about two weeks ago.

Archived