IGNORED

worst music-related buzzword

Guest tht tne

Guest tht tne

i nominate any form of the word "swagger..." also the suffix "-esque" unless it is in the very rare, almost nonexistent "butthole-surferseqsue" acclamation

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

swag and esque don't bother me... i can't think of anything that does... i never thought of epic being bad because i've only probably heard it being used for something that deserves it.

I nominate the phrase "face-melting," especially in regard to electronic jam bands :facepalm:

see also, "epic" and "heady"

everytime I hear "that music melted my face" i have this terrible urge to remind them that it was the LSD, the MDMA, or the K melting their face, not the light jazz stylings of STS9

Guest disparaissant

mishka just described a whole slew of bands from different genres as "grave wave."

somehow oOoOO and gatekeeper and zola jesus and pop. 1280 and xiu xiu are all part of the same genre movement now, and that movement is called grave wave.

what the fuck mishka. i mean you generally suck but this is a whole new level of lazy.

epic is pretty bad.

Guest Beefuncle

"electronica" - its used to label any and all music that may include some sort of synth, so over used its just lazy.

also pitchfork reviews are a good source for stupid words. Every sentence contains at least 4 words that don't belong outside the thesaurus, their bigotry is hilarious.

"experimental" as most tracks that are labeled as such do not sound like it. if you really think about the word, it doesn't suit any track. for whom was it an experiment? the audience? the artist?

The only descriptors that make me cringe are some of the subgenre names and their usage (example sentence: "This album bridges the gap between illbient and chill wave." )

honestly i hate everything so haha, ya know what i mean?

if something is described as "sunny, lo-fi pop" then i pretty much automatically not only avoid it but also hate it and people who like it

though i kind of like the band Girls.

Guest Wall Bird

"experimental" as most tracks that are labeled as such do not sound like it. if you really think about the word, it doesn't suit any track. for whom was it an experiment? the audience? the artist?

Yes. Yes. Yes. A million times yes.

The only descriptors that make me cringe are some of the subgenre names and their usage (example sentence: "This album bridges the gap between illbient and chill wave." )

agree but for slightly different reasons,

the term 'experimental' as it's mostly used rarely ever refers to actual experimentation, it refers to established sub genres within the 'experimental' musical genre like noise, ambient, improvised music, or conceptual modern classical

I hated the use of the word "emo"

because at a certain point, it wasn't used to refer to emocore anymore, but anything that had a bit of emotion in it

"classical music is so emo"

fuuuuck

but i think that trend is passed now

Archived