Guest Rambo

Where you a nerd in school?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Where you a nerd in school?

• Yes
    • No

son-i-am-disappoint.jpg

rambo, queue B.

LOL. To me nerd implies that they have some abnormal technical prowess, knowledge or interest in something tangible. A geek could just sit in the corner drawing ligers and never be particularly good or smart about anything.

indeed, a nerd implies a talent. a geek implies napoleon dynamite.

son-i-am-disappoint.jpg

kaini, queue B

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rambo

okay for those who think they where nerds in school, would you say that you where perceived as nerds by others?

i was definitely perceived as nerdy/geeky/whatever in primary school. i got bullied a lot because i had a computer and knew how to use it reasonably well, zole (i remember being asked once, "how do you say my name in computer language?" :rolleyes: ).

a bit of that carried on into highschool, but i wasn't nearly smart enough to hang out with the proper nerdy kids who where all about studying maths in the library and chess club and stuff like that. instead, i hung out with the 'middle' group, who where into mildly alternative music and skateboarding and cars and such but still getting reasonably good grades. that said though, i might have been a bit of an odd one out in the group, my only interest was music, that's all i ever talked about, and no girls where ever interested in me, in fact i could barely talk to the pretty girls without getting all giddy. hahah!

Guest Gary C

If nerds were into science, maths and studying; no.

If geeks were into bad music, silly fashion choices and crushing social inadequacy; yes.

Nowadays I'm much more of the nerd I always wanted to be. :sup:

Guest Karnov

I voted yes, but I was somewhere in the middle (like lukewarm water) socially.

Probably more of a nerd/geek/whatever now though; aged 31 I've got no need to pretend to be cool or maintain any kind of ironic detachment. If I spend my Saturday visiting an owl sanctuary now, I'll tell you about it, rather than pretending I spent my weekend "smoking fags and getting drunk".

I always thought of 'nerd' and 'geek' as synonyms but yeah, now I see a difference.

For the sake of the poll, a definite nerd. Chubby (not fat enough to be bullied though), greasy/crap hair and zits, NHS specs from the age of 13, didn't get wimmin, the works. Had a few friends though. I was one of the brightest kids in my year but skived loads and ended up with a measly 2 'O' levels first time round (both in English, ftnerdw).

Not much has changed down the years, apart from losing my virginity and a lot of my hair and paying for my own glasses.

Teeny, big glasses that covered about 25% of my face at least.. I was constantly reading about astronomy and physics, at home I spent hours per day playing piano and programming on my trs-80, or building model rockets or drawing comics. So yes I was an ubergeek and a nerd, best of both worlds. IDM was instant love.

Guest Gary C

I wore glasses from the age of 7 to 14. If I hadn't started wearing contact lenses I would undoubtedly have been much nerdier for those remaining 6 years of teen.

Guest AcrossCanyons

Not really. I has plenty of friends and was never great at school (apart from computers a bit at the time and english). I was a bit socially awkward tho and didn't go out much - I also loved (still do) video games and RPGs in particular. Get called a nerd for that to this day. ("saw you playing that nerd game on xbl last night lol lol lol")

i liked to play video games but who doesn't. Was more a cliché stoner who didn't attend regularly and dropped out of several schools. But now, now i'm a nerd. At art school.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Years of American TV had lead to me to believe I would fall into these social types. By the TV catergorising system I must have been both, I was captain of the basketball team and I took all the science subjects. Basically there is no such thing as a nerdy underclass. The only social divisions within my school were the class groups the school put us in; by jesus I hated the other classes until the last few years when I realised they were mostly normal people too.

first off, no. secondly, fuck nerds man, always nerding things up. WHY DONT YOU MAP THE POLL RESULTS ON YOUR GRAPHING CALCULATOR???? nerds.

Guest ezkerraldean

lol yes

although to be fair most of the rich sporty popular kids did tend to respect me for my amazingness in most lessons plus my sense of humour. :sup:

and i always had plenty of friends outside school, mainly local-minded petrolheads innit, so i was never a total loner or anything

No I am not a nerd at my school

Lots of people at school think I'm on constantly on drugs and if I tell them I'm not, they lose interest in my behavior.

I can relate to this

@ the time i really thought i was great but every time i look back oh my :facepalm:

No I am not a nerd at my school

Lots of people at school think I'm on constantly on drugs and if I tell them I'm not, they lose interest in my behavior.

I can relate to this

me 2

Hmmm, on second thought, I believe I was a skateboarding nerd.

A nerd is someone who is very passionate about something that hardly anybody gives a flying fuck about.

Hmmm, on second thought, I believe I was a skateboarding nerd.

A nerd is someone who is very passionate about something that hardly anybody gives a flying fuck about.

naw, that's geeky

nerds are smart as well as geeky and worse like socially awkward

Guest Calx Sherbet

I wore glasses from the age of 7 to 14. If I hadn't started wearing contact lenses I would undoubtedly have been much nerdier for those remaining 6 years of teen.

i got contacts 6 years ago. and just recently, i decided to see what i looked like in glasses after all this time. i looked ridiculously nerdy, i'm glad i gave that up.

Archived