IGNORED

Britney Spears - Hold it Against me

Brandi_B

Guest Lube Saibot

also, the conclusion of the thread, imo, is:

there is nothing of value in the production technique known as "throw cash at it until it sounds good"

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In summary - there's no right or wrong to enjoying something, and if you can't stand it, provide a reason. Eh? :shrug:

i guess i'm not very good at getting my point across huh

Actually, I think you are and you aren't being acknowledged, especially since you're commenting on Skrillex's sound more than his sincerity and background. And MrSparkle666 hasn't posted since, personally speaking, my rebuttal was in response to his post more than anything.

well put. i guess i just get a little worked up sometimes when people like/dislike something due to popularity. i'm the same when it comes to people ejaculating over bob dylan (for example), and thinking i'm some kind of uncultured idiot for not being interested in his music. but lol that's for another thread

1st three tracks are bangers. been a fan since toxic. sometimes i think people get too caught up in the game behind the music . . it's always a process, however strange. either you like the end product or not!

ps encey, i totally agree w your post

1st three tracks are bangers. been a fan since toxic. sometimes i think people get too caught up in the game behind the music . . it's always a process, however strange. either you like the end product or not!

:)

Pop music is just fun silly stuff to dance around too and be happy. People put too much thought into it. When it's a little more interesting than typical, ie pulling in people that make something a little different than "pop" production [though i'm sure 'dubstep is pop now' is somewhat arguable] , I think it's win, whether it's "good" or not it's at least a little different. I've been listening to this album pretty non stop since I got it. Sure it doesn't take me deep in thought like Dark Side of the Moon, but it's nice uplifting fun music with some good breakdowns, and interesting production styles spread out across the album. However the dubstep elements are there throughout the album but it's not necessarily the key ingredient, a lot of the songs are just "weird" (as far as typical pop). Others are your typical affair, but it's fun, it flows, and is just as good on headphones/at home as it is on the dance floor.

also, i believe she's interested in the creative part just because of her braggadacio about her own production. "if you want this good shit/sicker than the remix" come on, that's fucking hardcore!! and it's probably true!! the production is ridiculous . .

Cheers m8.

I like some BT songs and some Britney songs, but few Lady Gaga or Katy Perry songs. It's hard for me to say what the difference is. All of them have really catchy and simple hooks, which--combined with fun, danceable beats--is what I enjoy in pop music. But for some reason I find Katy Perry's songs to sound like they're just trying too hard, and Lady Gaga's songs to be a bit weak and unoriginal ... ? I dunno if that's it, I mean, are Britney's songs 'original'? It's more like, the way in which "Alejandro" sounds like Ace of Base and "Born This Way" sounds like "Express Yourself" is less inspired than the way "Until the World Ends" sounds like Ke$ha (who, of course, wrote the song). I can at least say that "Until the World Ends" has a nice rhythm to the chorus against the drums, and that it does a great job saving the most intense part for the end. The other nice thing it has (which BT's "Somnambulist" has really well, too) is a really harmonically rich chorus, where you can easily sing along in harmony in a variety of ways, some of which are double-tracked by the singer him/herself, and others which are merely implied. I dunno if that makes sense, but in general, I find that Gaga and Perry don't leave a lot of room for harmony, but just force the main melody upon you without an easy way to sing along at a different interval. God, I can't say what I'm trying to say; I hope it makes sense, fuuu!

<3

Awepittance, who exactly was your post about? Did someone specific brutally diss BT and then profess love for Britney on account of her production value?

However the dubstep elements are there throughout the album but it's not necessarily the key ingredient, a lot of the songs are just "weird" (as far as typical pop). Others are your typical affair, but it's fun, it flows, and is just as good on headphones/at home as it is on the dance floor.

I think "(Drop Dead) Beautiful" is really cheesy and awful.

"Seal it With a Kiss" is a case where I was disappointed that they arranged the song with more of that typical, growly 'dubstep' bass sound. The 'oooeeeooo' in the chorus would be perfect in a, like, cheeky retro Cardigans kind of context, or a Peter Bjorn & John type of treatment -- can you hear what I'm imagining there? I like the chorus of this song a lot.

Sorry, also: I really wish it were Fergie singing 'Big Fat Bass.' It just sounds like it was made for her voice, and I think she would bring so much more personality to it.

Guest Lube Saibot

wowwowowowww, pop music deconstructed, as if there were any merit to that endeavor. :wtf:

the only thing that ever brings me back to pop is never the fucking SONGS, which by their very definition are a dime a dozen. what DOES brings me back is, yes, the FUN factor: the simple-minded spectacle of a great voice, a tight ass, lascivious dance moves, heaps of charisma, and the ability to successfully carry over the grand delusion of pop (i.e. the Bret Easton Ellis rhetoric). lady gaga, katy perry, rihanna, and so on achieve this in spades. britney can't anymore, and doesn't. kesha never did. and the reason there's so much room for harmonizing over britney shit (which is an odd quality to gush over, unless you're REALLY into the karaoke scene) is because the bitch can't sing and has a range of one fucking octave, octa-tracks over herself to have even at least a semblance of oomph, and all her harmony is fifths so there's no harmonic boundaries established, you can sing whatever the fuck you want over it. if this doesn't quite make sense, listen to all the justin bieber mash-ups out there: this is why that "baby" tune eerily works with almost everything out there, it's quite literally two-note music.

and since awepittance is late to defend his own point, I'll do it for him: everybody hates on BT (and rightfully so) because he tries too hard and achieves very little. pop on the other hand doesn't try at all, and sometimes randomly achieves, and said achievements should be lovingly celebrated (i somewhat agree with this). what happens when pop DOES try too hard, as the case is on this shitpile of an album? awepittance (and I as well) expected watmmers to be consistent in their derision of misappropriated musical tropes. they aren't.

sorry, gonna go puke now.

Guest AcrossCanyons

i just thought it sounded good because it's melodic. i'm a sucker for a nice melody in electronic music. and too much dubstep is just really minimal in that department. which is why i like stuff like rustie, because he blends that hyperactive chiptune melodic style with dubsteppy rhythms.

i didn't actually know of skrillex until he was mentioned in this thread!

it's okay I like skrillex too. sure he's a faggot but that means nothing when it comes to the music. whoever produced/created monsters and nice sprites did a good job imo. it's great for what it is. too many people are too scared of liking stuff considered "uncool" by there peers to give anything like this a proper listen.

and the reason there's so much room for harmonizing over britney shit (which is an odd quality to gush over, unless you're REALLY into the karaoke scene)

Why would anybody go to karaoke and sing the harmony?

all her harmony is fifths so there's no harmonic boundaries established, you can sing whatever the fuck you want over it.

The part I like so much in "Until the World Ends" has harmonies in thirds.

and since awepittance is late to defend his own point, I'll do it for him: everybody

I was asking literally for names. I think the idea that 'everyone' hates BT while loving Britney is a straw man, an excuse to try to make people feel less cool than oneself.

I like the faux-Aphex breakdown in the latter half of the song under discussion - tells me more and more producers are taking cues from watching the Windowlicker video over and over :emotawesomepm9:

Brandi, have you heard Sky Ferreira's music? I'm curious what you think of it, being a Brit-pop lover. (Get it? ... :trashbear: )

Seriously though, there's some good Bloodshy & Avant production in there, though the songs are pretty weak.

(Edit: Re: the Sky Ferreira, that is)

Archived