IGNORED

Britney Spears - Hold it Against me

Brandi_B

Troll thread? :shrug:

nah, I actually listen to stuff like this. I'm just sharing the joy of typically bland music made a tiny bit more interesting for the masses. And my love of super over compressed glassy mid cut pop production.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Troll thread? :shrug:

nah, I actually listen to stuff like this. I'm just sharing the joy of typically bland music made a tiny bit more interesting for the masses. And my love of super over compressed glassy mid cut pop production.

Sounds like Deadmouse/Skrillex...the 17 year olds will eat it up.

Market demographic, they've got a hit on their hands.

I linked to an article where Skrillex actually spoke about the track as if he was some kind of dubstep spokesperson. It was the most annoying thing I've ever read recently. I don't find Britney Spears annoying at all because she's not faking sincerity...that's probably why I rather listen to her singles of Lady Gaga for instance.

8. even closer (featuring justin timberlake and maynard james keenan)

This track was the standout on that. Trent's best work ever. Justin + Trent + Maynard <3

yes it is very danceable, miserable and cryptic all at once.

I linked to an article where Skrillex actually spoke about the track as if he was some kind of dubstep spokesperson. It was the most annoying thing I've ever read recently. I don't find Britney Spears annoying at all because she's not faking sincerity...that's probably why I rather listen to her singles of Lady Gaga for instance.

Totally dubstep, for sure. Put this Britney track or the latest Skrillex single next to some Loefah or Headhunter. Sounds almost identical.

what terrible, terrible, over-produced, over-funded, almost 'satanic' bullshit, this glossed-up pop music is.

i hope brineys fat, drugged-up, untalented-ass falls off the face of the earth tbh

don't get me wrong, i'm all for 'progressive' electronic music getting more plays, but this is NOT good for the genre at all... this just means that it's become predominant enough of a creative force for the corporate mainstream to do something about it eg. copy it, take all the originality out of it, and sell it with their names and symbolism stamped all over it.

substance = nada

don't get me wrong, i'm all for 'progressive' electronic music getting more plays, but this is NOT good for the genre at all... this just means that it's become predominant enough of a creative force for the corporate mainstream to do something about it eg. copy it, take all the originality out of it, and sell it with their names and symbolism stamped all over it.

substance = nada

And this affects your enjoyment of 'progressive' electronic music how? You are not forced to listen to the mainstream version of it?

Guest analogue wings

What I think Britney is strong at is adding breath and rasp, and cooing like a 16 year-old sex kitten for the mic (no :pedobear: ).

Compare the delivery by whoever sang this demo version, and you'll hear some of what Brit's singing style brings to the track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps0--HM6pYI

It just sounds better w Britney singing it, despite this demo singer's attempts to insert the appropriate gasps and voice-breaking.

Interesting hypothesis encey!

I'm intrigued by the idea that Britney actually adds something to a track other than the obvious non-musical Britney baggage...

You could posit that the reason the final track sounds "better" is actually the producers getting her to do multiple ad-lib passes and coaching her to make a noise like yr getting fingered at yr 14th birthday party or whatever, and that they could achieve the same thing with the demo singer if they spent 3 days on the vocal instead of 20 minutes...

the chick in the demo isn't really trying to be Britney tho, she has a whole different set of pipes and she's singing way more from her diaphragm than her sinuses.

:sorcerer::cat::fear:

Guest Lube Saibot

Brandi I've always related to your love of pop, and found it endearing, but this is just going overboard. You betray your own hesitations towards it with numerous justifications of "production values" or whatever.

The track is awful, the "production" is embarrassing for something with that budget (eurotrance, SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!), the chorus is pure circa 1998 trash and not even in a tongue-in-cheek Alejandro way, the dubstep bit is just :wtf: and once you shrug off the surprise of it it's really quite bad (the bit with the beat-synced stilletos is nice) in a worse-even-than-skrillex way, and worst of all her voice, her figure, her fucking FAAAAACEEEEEEE are just... ugh. She just looks like a pig in fucking dress. Hasn't got moves anymore, her pedobait rasp thing has changed with time and substance abuse and is now a sort of belchy drunken bellow that sounds really quite... aurally exhausting, and her expressions.... her cold dead eyes. Everything about her and especially this song is tragic. And I'm among those who actually thought her "it's britney bitch" comeback was quite a valid and successful one, despite her ostensibly being a fat embarrassing redneck. But she managed to pull off the old Britney energy at least. Not anymore. This is just sad.

Especially considering her competition, most of which has offered some very nice surprises (at least coming from mainstream pop) in the past few years.

Video is good though, I'll give you that (plus, the video is the only reason the "dubstep" bit works for some people).

I'm going to listen to the album now which I've not purchased. Nor will I ever. Because actually owning a Britney CD is fucking embarrassing. Even if it's ironical/a guilty pleasure. Even for a girl. Or a saibot.

There is said it.

The best thing to come out of this track is I know a bunch of people that no longer like dubstep because of its obvious influences in the track. It's about fuckin' time.

The best thing to come out of this track is I know a bunch of people that no longer like dubstep because of its obvious influences in the track. It's about fuckin' time.

Yeah fight the power!!!

I'M SO SICK OF BEING BEAT DOWN BY THE TYRANNY OF IRREGULAR DRUM PATTERNS AND SUB BASS!

4-on-the-floor FOREVER

(eurotrance, SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!), the chorus is pure circa 1998 trash

Well the thing is, I love that kind of music. :) So it's appealing. :flower:

I'm not trying to defend any artists, nor convert anyone. Just wanted to share something I think is nice going on in popular culture & dance music, at the moment. I never said anything about production "values" ....just production in general.

A fair bit of pop/dance music is just electronic music over compressed, and with vocals, so I think it's quite relevant. Especially because there are so many talented artists on this very forum that will most likely end up working on something similar one day. Whether it's for a paycheck, or genuine interest, it's one very profitable option for any current or up and coming electronic musicians that like to wear the producer hat.

I spent a week working on music for a live dvd of something pretty bad. We had to come up with original music becuase the stuff they played during the event recorded was copywritten music, that they were not going to pay to license. So we make this pretty awesome "score" with a somewhat similar vibe to the songs in the video. The customers come back and are like "can you water this down a whole lot, it's too busy and we don't need all that". Reminded me of the scene in Amadeus "too many notes". But meh, we did what we were told and sent them a gigantic turd and they not only loved it, but paid us a bonus, went into financial crisis, and never released the dvd. But hey, we got paid!

Loose correlation but I think my point is in there somewhere.

(eurotrance, SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!), the chorus is pure circa 1998 trash

Well the thing is, I love that kind of music. :) So it's appealing. :flower:

I'm not trying to defend any artists, nor convert anyone. Just wanted to share something I think is nice going on in popular culture & dance music, at the moment. I never said anything about production "values" ....just production in general.

I won't try to speak for any Europeans here, but having lived in the UK from 99-01' I feel that every fucking American top 40 hit, the hip-hop club singles especially, are oozing with the same aesthetic of shitty eurodance/europop from 10 years ago.

In regards to the dubstep aspect of the song, I've recently accepted the fact that the genre name has been re-appropriated and rendered meaningless. At this point, if I say I like dubstep people either respond "I fucking hate dubstep" or "I love dubstep, do you like Bassnecter and Skrillex!?" It's happened before to other electronic subgenres and elsewhere in rock. I had friends who listened to emo in the late 90s and early 00s(Sunny Day Real Estate, Jimmy Eat World, etc.) who watched the label get associated with shitty post-hardcore and screamo bands (i.e. whinecore), then watched the absurd backlash and mockery of the term "emo," and now they can't even use the label in retrospect.

In summary, I could care less if Britney Spears has adopted "dubstep" aesthetics. Yay apathy. But dear god, the Skrillex comments still piss me off, especially since he and people like deadmau5 act like EDM ambassadors:

bout 2:20 into the song, the track slips into a simple dubstep break with Spears calling out, "Gimme something good/ Don't want to wait, I want it now/ Drop it like a hood, and show me how you work it out."

Already, less than 24 hours after the song's official release, some are questioning whether Spears has hammered a nail into dubstep's coffin. Some of underground EDM's purist fans are worried that Spears has watered down their guarded and beloved art form.

But the current prince of dubstep told MTV News he thinks Spears is doing a great thing for the genre, even though he isn't in love with the section used in "Against Me."

"The more the stuff that is underground becomes mainstream, the more the underground is gonna change," Skrillex explained Monday. "I think it's gonna inspire people to obviously do something different."

Los Angeles-based Skrillex, born Sonny Moore, has a background in the post-hardcore metal scene, but in the past two years, has achieved popular success in the EDM world. He signed with deadmau5's mau5trap records and, toward the end of 2010, released a slew of dubstep singles that topped beatport.com's chart, even holding eight positions on the dance-music site's top 10 at one point.

"I thought the track ["Against Me"] was great overall," the face of popular new dubstep said. "I'll be honest, man: I love Max Martin. I think he's an absolute genius. And Dr. Luke did it, right? I think they are a f---ing dream team. I love the track!

"I thought the dubstep part was unnecessary," he continued. "Not to say it was done wrong. I feel like it was very self-aware and consciously put in there to be 'the dubstep part.' I can see a lot of people getting pissed about it — the purist dubstep and drum and bass fans — but at the end of the day, it's cool that people are trying new things. Sooner or later, anything that happens in the underground — be it watered down or not — it always makes itself into the mainstream. It's cool to hear."

:facepalm: It'd be nice for him to tour in London, mosey down to Croydon, and get stabbed.

i've never listened to a britney album in it's entirety . i just save the songs i enjoy... which isn't much. i love toxic though, probably her best.

Blackout is a good album, it was during the time she was going uber crazy, lots of druggy songs on there. Good production on i'd say half the songs. Others are pretty miss.

I like much of Blackout, but can't get into the RuPaul sound of the 'backup singer,' or whatever you want to call the guy who sings the background parts. It's a bit too campy for me.

i got this out of curiosity and half of it sounds like po(o)p music has sounded for the last 20 years (with updated instrumentation), and another half sounds like every hit sounds lately (that david guetta sound). there's only one track that i considered kinda 'forward' in terms of production which now i can't tell which one it was so i guess i was hallucinating, i think it was 'how i roll'.

Yeah fight the power!!!

I'M SO SICK OF BEING BEAT DOWN BY THE TYRANNY OF IRREGULAR DRUM PATTERNS AND SUB BASS!

4-on-the-floor FOREVER

I just can't handle the wicked phat bass in every dubstep track on my skullcandy headphones brosef.

In the past 20 years, there has been an effort to choose the most tacky and blatant musical elements and then amplify them to the point of insanity to create popular music. I'm thinking autotune, eurotrance, "lick my neck and my crack", "do the soulja boy". It's like everyone knows in the back of their mind that these things are annoying but they jump the bandwagon anyway.

I think the death knell of popular music was that Moog "PEEOOOOOW" tom sound used so much in disco. It was proto-autotune. I still love Anita Ward and disco though because a great track was built around the PEEOOOW. Today, it's all PEEOOOW all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_KmivFbTTM

Hah, I like that song, but I know what you mean. I'd rather listen to this, probably because of lack of PEEOOOW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ThIdxK-kU

There's just an inherent laziness to major label artists in general. It's always been there too, we just forget about all of the lame hits from the 50s-early 00's, despite the legions of moronic youtube commentators who say otherwise.

This is about the worst example of what I'm talking about. The looking over the pond mentality has been ongoing for awhile, it's just reaching a climax now. Believe it or not, Will.I.Am. wanted to release this as an official remix. (He didn't thank god, but that was kind of an obvious move) It's an awful mash-up at best. And the original version is just absolute shit, it even uses "Mardi Gras" break in a comical and rather sad breakdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14lG67jahFk

Archived