IGNORED

[WARPbot] Squarepusher: Paris show this Thursday at La Gaîté Lyrique - click to register for free entry

Joyrex

You maid my day man

Training period in Paris = Squarepusher (June 9th) + Ceephax (June 26th)

Holy Jenkynson family !

:rhubear2: :rhubear2: :rhubear2: :rhubear2: :rhubear2: :rhubear2:

:cisfor:

Yep.. saw him at the ATP Japan benefit in May..... himself and Alex Thomas on Drums... mostly Shobaleader stuff......

You just can't tell with the SP what the hell he'll do. Isn't that why we love him?

This Paris thig is an audio/visual fest so I would expect his LED display/bass rave show. What the fook do i know though?

This event makes me sick. They spread the news two days before it happens and made people believe that it was open and free. But there's actually a confirmation mail that no people I know and who got subscribed received. I spend all the day dreaming about those Squarepusher bass / rave set videos and now I feel both angry and sad. The fact is that France is a very bad place for that kind of concert and that one was really a chance.

:facepalm:

Eventually I manage to enter the concert and saw him for about 40 minutes (the set was short so I must have missed about one track). When I entered the room, Squarepusher and his drummer were playing Exciton. Then they quickly played that unreleased track I've always wondered if it was composed by Aphex or Squarepusher (the track was in a fake Analord release, I don't remember which one). Then a Shobaleaderized version of My Red Hot Car. Then a track that I don't know and which could be unreleased yet (it sounded like a more basic Just A Souvenir track with a kind of punk feel). Then Megazine. Then a sweet break with Circlewave (one). They finished with Maximum Planck, which is massive but they missed some hits rhythmically in the blast part (which is understandable though).

(that list might be inexhaustible and in the wrong order)

That's the first time I see him playing live and I was all thrilling smiling and dancing. I didn't like the last album but the few tracks they played from it or the ones they adapted to that album style were amazing to hear live. The overall concert was really cool both for the brain and the body (some of the tracks I quoted contained an additional kick at every beat and that kicked ass :emotawesomepm9: ).

so eventually I'm happy. Can't wait for that "more experimental stuff" he's talking in the last Sound on Sound interview concerning the next release.

:squarepusher_logo: !!!

Eventually I manage to enter the concert and saw him for about 40 minutes (the set was short so I must have missed about one track).

30 mins on youtube ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im1OxAArQpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAkA0vEz35c&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh53u74dlQE&feature=related

When I entered the room, Squarepusher and his drummer were playing Exciton.

... yes they're doing a nice version of this these days!

Then they quickly played that unreleased track I've always wondered if it was composed by Aphex or Squarepusher (the track was in a fake Analord release, I don't remember which one).

Really? Its not in these videos........

Then a Shobaleaderized version of My Red Hot Car.

.. Excellent to see this track being Shobaleader'd. Good ol Tom taking a popular tune and re-inventing it. He did a nice job with this track at warp20 overlaying some acid/bass relentlessness.

Then a track that I don't know and which could be unreleased yet (it sounded like a more basic Just A Souvenir track with a kind of punk feel).

Well there's afew brilliant JAS style tracks. Tom mentioned his foundness for "Lightning Bolt" before and he's clearly going down that route with this project... this Paris show is a further refinement to the London ATP set recently. I reckon a couple more shows and he'll have it 100% nailed.

Then Megazine.
... This version is much better than London ATP one..... more synth and better jamming.

Then a sweet break with Circlewave (one). They finished with Maximum Planck, which is massive but they missed some hits rhythmically in the blast part (which is understandable though).

Its a good ending I recckon after 30 mins of noise/punk raving.

I think this Shobaleader incarnation will do well with more plays. Its got Lighning Bolt all over it and if they keep the electronic drums, the odd fave like MRHC and really let the energy fly it'll puch all thr right buttons with me.

Then they quickly played that unreleased track I've always wondered if it was composed by Aphex or Squarepusher (the track was in a fake Analord release, I don't remember which one).

Really? Its not in these videos........

Look video 2 at around 5:10. The melody of that unreleased track is actually played just four times and after that he makes a variation that he keeps all the live track long.

Anyway thanks a lot for that videos, they allowed me to remember that concert and also to see the mistakes I made in my souvenir of the trackist ^^

Can't wait for Ceephax now ! He plays next Friday in the same place ; I bought my ticket yesterday :emotawesomepm9:

Or one too many, breaks plus live drumming is a bit weird, I think Alex Thomas was just playing the HH's on his kit during those parts, I would say Shobaleader is just Tom and Alex. That version of My Red Hot Car was brilliant, that's what I expected from the live sets, give the old tracks some new life instead of a bass glitch rush overdub.

thanks for the videos

hmm looks like he's (the drummer) actually playing the amen break on a electronic drum kit, not just the hats on top of it

(edit: on exciton)

Archived