IGNORED

Activists arrested, accused of feeding homeless in Orlando

Dale

those people serving food were really annoying they knew what they were getting into, if i was the cops i would have body slammed all of them until they urinated themselves, and if Rosa Parks were alive today i would tase her ass off that bus

:yeah:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say from my 4 day stay in San Fran a few years ago, you guys have some fucking crazy bums. I dunno if I'd want to try to feed them.

They're worse in Boston. Especially since they actually are crazy. Apparently, there was a mental hospital in the back bay in the 80s or 90s that ran out of state funding, so they just let everyone out.

Maybe this may seem a bit stupid and I haven't read a lot into it but, it seems to only state that you can't give food to large groups of people in the parks. Why can't they head outside the park to do it, maybe see if any local businesses allow them pavement space, and get people to stay inside the park and direct others where to go.

If your only cause to be there is to make sure people are eating then why do it somewhere that you obviously aren't allowed? To prove a point? To drum up crowds of protesters fighting the cause? Well why you are doing this there are other people not being able to eat so you have failed in what you set out to do in the first place.

what the christ, like they cover their trash in bleach? explain more

They literally take buckets of bleach water and pour them over the garbage in their dumpsters. It is awesome. It has cut back a bit but the fact that it happens disgusts me.

what the christ, like they cover their trash in bleach? explain more

They literally take buckets of bleach water and pour them over the garbage in their dumpsters. It is awesome. It has cut back a bit but the fact that it happens disgusts me.

Weird, first I've heard of this. That is truly disgusting.

I was driving with my friend a couple weeks ago when he ran a red light to give half his sandwich to a homeless man. "That man looks hungry, I must get this sandwich to him immediately!" The red-light-running was unintentional, but it makes the act seem so much more heroic. It was at a monitored intersection, so we'll probably both be kidnapped and tazed to death any day now.

I will say from my 4 day stay in San Fran a few years ago, you guys have some fucking crazy bums. I dunno if I'd want to try to feed them.

They're worse in Boston. Especially since they actually are crazy. Apparently, there was a mental hospital in the back bay in the 80s or 90s that ran out of state funding, so they just let everyone out.

Cheers, Reagan

Next up for the republicans - reanimate John Wayne's corpse and run him in 2012.

Cheers, Reagan

Next up for the republicans - reanimate John Wayne's corpse and run him in 2012.

not necessary, all you have to do is have the president be an erudite black man (who's family never experienced Jim Crow laws or connections to slavery) who puts an educated well spoken face on the current state of US imperliasm which has far outgrown the Reagan paradigm, wait whoops!

I dunno if the Obama administration's version of US imperialism has far outgrown the Reagan administration's though.

Under Reagan - Nicaragua, Grenada, Guatemala, Panama, El Salvador, Afghanistan, "evil empire", support of both Iran and Iraq.

Obama - Mexico, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya...

Also I'm not sure what the Jim Crow laws and slavery have to do with any modern politician (beyond any fringe idiocy)? As far as I can tell after a quick Google (US politics is not what I care about, but as this is a board with a lot of US members, it is inevitable), Obama has discussed slavery once - and that was saying that resolving slavery took time, and implementing what he thinks of as progress will also take time.

The obameter seems to swing a little in his favour, although there are still a lot of promises "in the works"...

I mean I'm not particularly sympathetic to homeless people

Why the fuck not?!

Cause a lot of them are lazy, shiftless cunts. I'm not saying don't give them welfare, or provide social housing, or feed them. I'm just saying I'm not particularly sympathetic to a lot of them.

I'm sure that's true of a few of them but, by and large, I find it hard to imagine someone being so incredibly lazy that they'd choose to sleep in the street rather than doing some simple job.

Guest yikes

Why the fuck not?!

Cause a lot of them are lazy, shiftless cunts. I'm not saying don't give them welfare, or provide social housing, or feed them. I'm just saying I'm not particularly sympathetic to a lot of them.

so therein lies a lazy pathetic summation of "homelessness" in america

you like to portray yourself as some bastion of truth knowledge and decency ,a man who detests poorly reported /written news briefs

why didn't you do a lil research before hitting the submit button mousey?

"I DON'T LIKE THEM THEY ARE CUNTS THEY ARE DIRTY AND LAZY "

uh yea ok "chen god"

here we have our forum moderator,a man who is so logical and level headed that there should never be any doubt about HIS inherent intellect as it applies sociological issues.

you pontificate cavalier statements displayed in the the vapid recess of your so called brain in an attempt to show us…..what?

that you don't have the time or energy to use google?

In recognition of the reality that homelessness is most often caused by job loss and other economic factors, this report explores economic indicators for homeless people and people at risk of homelessness. The economic indicators examined in this report point to worsening conditions across the nation and all states. Using data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and RealtyTrac, this report chronicles the changes in four economic indicators from 2008 to 2009.

Key findings of the report on economic indicators:

Conditions worsened among all four economic indicators examined in this report: housing affordability for poor people, unemployment, poor workers’ income, and foreclosure status.

From 2008 to 2009, the number of unemployed people in America increased by 60 percent from 8.9 to 14.3 million. Every state and the District of Columbia had an increase in the number of unemployed people. The number of unemployed people in Wyoming doubled.

Nearly three-quarters of all U.S. households with incomes below the federal poverty line spend over 50 percent of monthly household income on rent. Over 80 percent of households below the federal poverty line in Florida, Nevada, and California spend more than 50 percent of income on rent. Forty states saw an increase in the number of poor households experiencing severe housing cost burden from 2008 to 2009.

While real income among all U.S. workers decreased by 1 percent in 2009, poor workers’ income decreased even more, dropping by 2 percent to $9,151. Poor workers in Alaska, the District of Columbia, Maine, and Rhode Island saw their incomes decrease by more than 10 percent.

Foreclosure affected nearly half a million more households in 2009 than in 2008, a 21 percent increase for a total of 2.8 million foreclosed units in 2009. The number of foreclosed units more than doubled in Alabama, Hawaii, Id

Key findings of the report on homelessness:

The nation’s homeless population increased by approximately 20,000 people from 2008 to 2009 (3 percent increase). There were also increased numbers of people experiencing homelessness in each of the subpopulations examined in this report: families, individuals, chronic, unsheltered.

A majority – 31 of 50 states and the District of Columbia - had increases in their homeless counts. The largest increase was in Louisiana, where the homeless population doubled.

Among subpopulations, the largest percentage increase was in the number of family households, which increased by over 3,200 households (4 percent increase). Also, the number of persons in families increased by more than 6,000 people (3 percent increase). In Mississippi, the number of people in homeless families increased by 260 percent.

After population reductions from 2005 to 2008, the number of chronically homeless people in the country remained stagnant from 2008 to 2009, despite an 11 percent increase in the number of permanent supportive housing units.

While most people experiencing homelessness are sheltered, nearly 4 in 10 were living on the street, in a car, or in another place not intended for human habitation. In Wisconsin, twice as many people experienced homelessness without shelter in 2009 as did in 2008.

It is widely agreed upon that there is a vast undercount of the number of young people experiencing homelessness. Underscoring this is the fact that 35 percent of all communities reported that there were no homeless youth in their communities in 2009.

Guest yikes

and…….

Approximately 20 - 25% of the single adult homeless population suffers from some form of severe and persistent mental illness (National Resource and Training Center on Homelessness and Mental Illness, 2003). While 22% of the American population suffers from a mental illness, a small percentage of the 44 million people who have a serious mental illness are homeless at any given point in time (National Institute of Mental Health, 2005).

Despite the disproportionate number of mentally ill people among the homeless population, the growth in homelessness is not attributable to the release of seriously mentally ill people from institutions. Most patients were released from mental hospitals in the 1950s and 1960s, yet vast increases in homelessness did not occur until the 1980s, when incomes and housing options for those living on the margins began to diminish rapidly (see "Why Are People Homeless?," NCH Fact Sheet #1). However, a new wave of deinstitutionalization and the denial of services or premature and unplanned discharge brought about by managed care arrangements may be contributing to the continued presence of seriously mentally ill persons within the homeless population.

Mental disorders prevent people from carrying out essential aspects of daily life, such as self- care, household management and interpersonal relationships. Homeless people with mental disorders remain homeless for longer periods of time and have less contact with family and friends. They encounter more barriers to employment, tend to be in poorer physical health, and have more contact with the legal system than homeless people who do not suffer from mental disorder. All people with mental disorders, including those who are homeless, require ongoing access to a full range of treatment and rehabilitation services to lessen the impairment and disruption produced by their condition. However, most people with mental disorder do not need hospitalization, and even fewer require long-term institutional care. According to the 2003 U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Report, most homeless persons with mental illness do not need to be institutionalized, but can live in the community with the appropriate supportive housing options (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2003). Unfortunately, there are not enough community-based treatment services, nor enough appropriate, affordable housing, to accommodate the number of people disabled by mental disorders in the U.S.

Why the fuck not?!

People without homes, sleeping rough on the streets, are a product of the social environment they are embedded in. They are typically very troubled individuals who need empathy and assistance.

Hey guys, guess what - I've taken some sociology as well. I'm fully aware of how society impacts people. And like I said - I believe we have a moral obligation to shelter and feed the homeless. You can't ignore the effects of urbanization and suburban sprawl on poverty.

However, having been homeless at some point in my life, I know the mindset of many of them.

Refusal to follow simple rules - like not being drunk in social housing, disregard for social convention, not making any effort to find work.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Inside+controversial+Howe+Street+homeless+shelter/1798474/story.html

http://www2.canada.com/cowichanvalleycitizen/news/story.html?id=96537375-614a-4500-8e4e-01e8c3123850

Look at the number one complaint from homeless people on why they don't want to sleep in shelters:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:LDgxYJjmghEJ:www.gvss.ca/PDF/Including%2520Homeless%2520Voices%2520report%2520Oct%252011,%25202007.pdf+vancouver+homeless+shelter+rules&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShwKQThjaYPmk8kuQDyakIh1XEPNfJv-ltek2JCI8Kbji9BrAqjDlm7-TscF_MSDOxA9wQSTEcplP4LjBQL2DkxsllaHvUTk__s_kXkamaZnX9wr-EdvPyqTlLKdRUjUACobPvS&sig=AHIEtbQotbBN5j1bocuiQAi5BB2_Q3ncQA

Yikes do you even read the shit you cite?

Despite the disproportionate number of mentally ill people among the homeless population, the growth in homelessness is not attributable to the release of seriously mentally ill people from institutions.

At some point you have to realize that a lot of these people do not want to live in a society where they have to make much effort for what seems like little gain.

There are many homeless who suffer from mental illness, it's true, and the proportion of homeless who are mentally ill is higher than the "normal" population. However, as the material that yikes posted demonstrates - homeless people who are mentally ill do not form a majority of the homeless (it is less than 25% - as compared with around 20% for all americans) - and the growth in homelessness cannot be attributed to the release of mentally ill people from institutions.

I realize that my opinion might come off as cold and heartless - let me reiterate that I do believe we as a society have a moral obligation to shelter and feed the homeless, and that nation states such as Japan and Korea who have very little in terms of social welfare programs need to do much more. The reality is though that many of the homeless in Canada and the US simply refuse to work.

Guest uptown devil

when i was in vancouver i paid a homeless guy $20 to get me weed and he just went running off with my money. homeless people suck.

Guest yikes

when i was in vancouver i paid a homeless guy $20 to get me weed and he just went running off with my money. homeless people suck.

seems like homeless people are smarter than you

of all places on the planet to fail at scoring weed…you played yourself sonny…you deserve to be vicked outta 20 smackeroos……. ,with about 10 minutes of forethought you could have easily met someone online in a pro cannabis forum -maybe even thru this very forum itself!!!- and hooked up insane kind kush for weeks at regular retail :duckhunt::facepalm:

Archived