IGNORED

Activists arrested, accused of feeding homeless in Orlando

Dale

News article (with video): http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/5-more-arrested-accused-of-feeding-homeless-in-1528523.html

Orlando police arrested five more activists from behind a makeshift buffet table at Lake Eola Park on Wednesday evening, bringing to a dozen the number charged in the past week with violating city restrictions on feeding the homeless.

The members of the group Food Not Bombs were ladling out corn on the cob, rice, beans and watermelon to about 35 people when they were handcuffed. About two dozen activists and homeless people booed and chanted "Food is a right, not a privilege" as they were loaded into a waiting police van.

recent arrests last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDD6FtNMpNw

Discuss

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus what the fuck is wrong with the people in orlando - vote the fuckers who passed that ordinance out of office.

I mean I'm not particularly sympathetic to homeless people, but everyone should have access to food - especially in the climate of waste that goes on in the US and Canada.

Come on XXX - there are soup kitchens and food banks in all kinds of cities. There are plenty of events of this kind. If the homeless start dying off suspiciously - then the person feeding them poisoned shit gets arrested.

Jesus what the fuck is wrong with the people in orlando - vote the fuckers who passed that ordinance out of office.

They're Republican?

Come on XXX - there are soup kitchens and food banks in all kinds of cities. There are plenty of events of this kind. If the homeless start dying off suspiciously - then the person feeding them poisoned shit gets arrested.

Or becomes your next Republican councilman.

Ok, I'll stop.

Guest Ranky Redlof

here they arrest the homeless for "stealing" food that was already thrown away in the garbage container

it was bad for buisiness

capitalism ftw

those people serving food were really annoying they knew what they were getting into, if i was the cops i would have body slammed all of them until they urinated themselves, and if Rosa Parks were alive today i would tase her ass off that bus

i've volunteered with friends at this food not bombs setup in lake eola park on several occasions, cops always hovering around, but not once did i think they'd stoop to this level and actually make arrests, and not once was anyone, being fed, serving food, or just taking in the communal atmosphere, not smiling and eager to go out of their way to help their fellow man. how can anyone follow such orders with dignity? what did they say to the kids they arrested? there's no excuse... just a waste of good peoples time and hard earned money. good 'ole pigs are at it again... i'll be sure to volunteer in this public buffet line in the near future, they aren't going to stop these good people's hard work, no way.

those people serving food were really annoying they knew what they were getting into, if i was the cops i would have body slammed all of them until they urinated themselves, and if Rosa Parks were alive today i would tase her ass off that bus

your next Orlando councilman Governor of The Entire Unified South

here they arrest the homeless for "stealing" food that was already thrown away in the garbage container

in mars?

In LA a couple years ago they tried to basically use those-- remember Soylent Green? Those devices that plowed and scooped the peop--yeah? Those.

XXX yeah - when you're running a for profit business like a restaurant or bar, then of course. We have something similar in BC. But when your objective is to feed the homeless? I don't think I've seen one soup kitchen/food bank get inspected. They're generally run out of church halls and shit.

And really, all the licensing/permits/food safety courses don't mean shit unless the people actually follow the guidelines.

And really, all the licensing/permits/food safety courses don't mean shit unless the people actually follow the guidelines.

Actually, if they don't follow the guidelines it very often does mean shi-- (sigh) it very often does me-- I can't even finish this.

Actually, if they don't follow the guidelines it very often does mean shi-- (sigh) it very often does me-- I can't even finish this.

You know you want to....

In Victoria a lot of businesses bleach dumpsters to quell dumpster diving as it is such a pest. Some folk still refuse to do so and i commend them. Fuck my ass.

Is that on Church Street (in regards to the OP)? I remember a group of people that fed homeless on that street when I lived in FL.

Guest Coalbucket PI

It does look ridiculous the way they just walk up and arrest them. You'd think they could just seize the food and tell them to move along. I don't know how strict this law is but I'm sure there are ways to get the food handed out legally still. It is unfair how homeless people hava absolutely no voice most of the time.

Oh wow, I guess the Disneyworld 'burb adopted Objectivism as a legal code. What a fucking hellhole: SHARING IS FUTILE. Before, I've always just assumed it lame but harmless mecca of people like this:

group-photo-header.png

Archived