IGNORED

do you work out?

oyster

if you're out on your bike - don't be put off wearing a helmet by all the cool kids not wearing their helmets. fuck those assholes.

Just stick some mdma gel caps in the helmet so the more you ride the more your sweat disintegrates them and you absorb it through your scalp directly into your brain, thus linking increased exertion and the pleasure centers of your brain, extreme!

wait is mdma skin permeable?

nevermind, enjoy riding your bike. yo303

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first week biking and holy shit! i can already see a difference. The energy levels are increasing and its interacting well with adderall (feel adderall is working for the first time since i began treatment and i'm just taking half my dose!). I go to sleep every night happy knowing that in the morning i will ride my bike, its awesome.

Happy for you that the adderall is working. Bike riding is great, great release of endorphins, muscle building/cardio, sunshine, chicks in tight biking shorts, etc. I need to get my bike back out!

:beer:

The next step i plan to take is to eat healthier. Right now my diet consists of steaks, fried stuff and cheap shit microwave food (no fruits or vegetables). Changing my diet is by far the hardest thing for me to do, i don't like vegetables/fruits (i'll eat an apple once in a while).

A month ago riding a bike seemed like a distant goal that i'll never accomplished but i did it, hopefully it will happen the same with the diet thing.

My first week biking and holy shit! i can already see a difference. The energy levels are increasing and its interacting well with adderall (feel adderall is working for the first time since i began treatment and i'm just taking half my dose!). I go to sleep every night happy knowing that in the morning i will ride my bike, its awesome.

Happy for you that the adderall is working. Bike riding is great, great release of endorphins, muscle building/cardio, sunshine, chicks in tight biking shorts, etc. I need to get my bike back out!

The next step i plan to take is to eat healthier. Right now my diet consists of steaks, fried stuff and cheap shit microwave food (no fruits or vegetables). Changing my diet is by far the hardest thing for me to do, i don't like vegetables/fruits (i'll eat an apple once in a while).

A month ago riding a bike seemed like a distant goal that i'll never accomplished but i did it, hopefully it will happen the same with the diet thing.

hell yeah man good for you! Take it one step, one hurdle at a time. You will be successful I'm sure. :biggrin:

Bike riding is great, great release of endorphins, muscle building/cardio, sunshine, chicks in tight biking shorts, etc. I need to get my bike back out!

wow i really need to start biking. I've done it before and it was very enjoyable and i totally forgot about it until right now

damn man...good luck with it!! use the setback as further motivation....like...fuck you fibro im gettin swole, ya fuckin dick disease ya

but in all seriousness I hope it goes well..and be sure not to overexert yourself!

Thanks man. :beer:

Yeah changing diets is some of the hardest shit. I've been used to drinking a lot of soda, eating a lot of pizza, chicken tenders, burgers, sandwiches, etc. Right now I've been off soda for about two weeks, drinking plenty of water, and I'm eating much better.

Trying for 3 meals a day, usually a yogurt and some sort of fruit for breakfast, sometimes toast. Lunch is usually a sandwich with plenty of vegetables on it. Dinner is usually some sort of lean meat, steak, or chicken.

Yeah changing diets is some of the hardest shit. I've been used to drinking a lot of soda, eating a lot of pizza, chicken tenders, burgers, sandwiches, etc. Right now I've been off soda for about two weeks, drinking plenty of water, and I'm eating much better.

Trying for 3 meals a day, usually a yogurt and some sort of fruit for breakfast, sometimes toast. Lunch is usually a sandwich with plenty of vegetables on it. Dinner is usually some sort of lean meat, steak, or chicken.

Changing diet has made the world of difference for me. I was never particularly huge, but put on a bit of flab over the last three or so years, peaking at 100kg. I got down to 96kg before changing my diet proper, one month later and I've lost about a stone. I'm down to 89kg now, with the endgame being about 75kg. I've not joined the gym yet, will be joining next week (finance allowing) and firing this along. For the meantime I've been playing tennis and riding my bike, plus doing some working out at home semi-regularly.

My diet is so easy to maintain and I absolutely love it. For the first time in a month I had a bar of chocolate yesterday and it made me feel like shit, so I'm not likely to stray from my good eating now. Here's basically what I do:

Between 5-6 meals a day.

Breakfast is always a smoothie (although my blender broke and I'm waiting for a replacement part, which fucks me up). Smoothie consists of 1 scoop of soya protein, a banana, blueberries, oats, three ice cubes, a touch of acacia honey and skimmed milk. This is fucking delicious and really fills you up nicely.

Morning snack, about two hours before lunch I have something like raw nuts (almonds are a favourite) with dried cranberries and raisins. Not many, probably a handful.

Lunch I usually base around tuna. There's a cafe near where I work that do a nice little tuna mix, with peppers and sweetcorn in it. I'll have the tuna mix with a salad, or in a toasted sandwich, wholemeal bread of course. Always have a boiled egg with it.

Afternoon snack I buy loads of these wholefood Trek snacks from Holland and Barrett. Zero saturated fat, nice and proteiny, very very tasty and fill a hole. I just eat one of those.

Dinner I base around animal protein. Mostly turkey meat, or chicken if I have no turkey. I cook a mean chili con carne, so I make that with turkey mince. It's lean as hell and much tastier than beef mince, no fat to drain out of it. I usually cook a massive batch at a weekend and this will give me two weeks worth of dinner if I had it every day, which I don't. I freeze this so I only have to defrost it in the pan while I cook up some wholegrain rice. Takes about 25 minutes, nice and easy.

Evening snack I usually have some berries. If it has berry in the name then it's a good fruit to eat.

I drink water all through the day and recently I drink a glass full of two squeezed grapefruits, all the bits and gunk thrown in as well. Delicious and fat burny.

The thing about my diet is that I love it. I'm not making sacrifices, I enjoy all the food I make and it makes me feel wide awake every day, I seriously never yawn. I've never been in a better, more placid mood and it shows. Plus the weight loss is making me more confident than ever and just generally my happiness levels are higher than normal (read: slightly above zero).

So in conclusion. Healthy living is great.

fanx

I have a question but i don't know how to ask google so maybe you guys can help.

I have a very active job, it requires for me to move around all day (8-10 hours), my heart beat during my work day is between 102-120 bpm (it only rest during breaks).

So my question is ... is this healthy/normal? i don't want to overwork my heart but i don't also want to lose my job, i can't find anywhere on the internet what the normal heart rate should be during a 8-hour active work day.

Uhg,

I've been pretty sick the last week and a half, and I am only now starting to feel like I am getting back to normal. I'm at maybe 85-90%. It's really frustrating, as I always seem to come down with something right when I am really happy with my workout routine, and then it takes me several weeks to get back to normal and to where I was before I got sick.

I am currently house sitting, and they have a pullup bar that is actually high enough for me to use in good form (I'm 6'4 so this is hard to find) and I haven't even been able to take advantage of it since I've been sick.

I also haven't ridden my bike in about 2 weeks either, and so I feel like I'll have to catch up with that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Uhg,

I've been pretty sick the last week and a half, and I am only now starting to feel like I am getting back to normal. I'm at maybe 85-90%. It's really frustrating, as I always seem to come down with something right when I am really happy with my workout routine, and then it takes me several weeks to get back to normal and to where I was before I got sick.

I am currently house sitting, and they have a pullup bar that is actually high enough for me to use in good form (I'm 6'4 so this is hard to find) and I haven't even been able to take advantage of it since I've been sick.

I also haven't ridden my bike in about 2 weeks either, and so I feel like I'll have to catch up with that as well.

ah man, i hear ya on the pullup bars (im 6'3" myself)

just restart slowly until you get back into the groove! no need to overexert yourself to "catch back up"

Had to keep bumping this thread to keep the good vibes alive to all the worker outers out there.

Finally starting to see a lot of results from using resistance machines for a month. Pretty toned, and Ive increased the weights between 5-10 pound increments...so there is obviously some progress. but god damn chest presses fucking KILL me...I must have the weakest chest of any man my size on earth.

Started doing freeweights for biceps, triceps, and shoulders...and that seems to be working well...i have incredibly scrawny arms for my size, so Im hoping to thicken them up a bit...

Does this make sense, Ive been adopting this plan:

basically (for bicep curls/tricep overhead lifty things):

Set 1: 8 times

Set 2: 8 times

Set 3: as many as you can do before you compromise your form (at least 8)

Ive been doing each of these sets incredibly slowly to maintain good form and maximize the workout. Its very slow progress though, so far ive only been able to add about one additional rep to the 3rd set every successive workout...hopefully next week I can move up to the next weight set!

for those of you that doubt the practical benefits of weightlifting, doing my early morning stock job is far, far easier now that Ive been building up my arms...every package i lift seems a good 10-15% lighter...no joke...its fantastic! Seems far better on my back too.

other question for those more seasoned lifters: do you or have you ever maintained a journal of your progress? Im considering doing this now to see the numerical improvements.

I have a question but i don't know how to ask google so maybe you guys can help.

I have a very active job, it requires for me to move around all day (8-10 hours), my heart beat during my work day is between 102-120 bpm (it only rest during breaks).

So my question is ... is this healthy/normal? i don't want to overwork my heart but i don't also want to lose my job, i can't find anywhere on the internet what the normal heart rate should be during a 8-hour active work day.

Dude - what do you do and how old are you?

Smetty- yes keep a log - it's great seeing the improvements in numerical form. Also you should use free weights as much as possible, even if it means initially reducing the weight that you can do on a machine.

I just looked up outdoor pull up bars, and apparently there is a fitness area in the park, about 15 min bike-ride away. I'm about to go check them out... hopefully they are high enough for me, at least higher than if I were do them with a door frame pull up bar. This world just isn't made for tall people...

Smetty- yes keep a log - it's great seeing the improvements in numerical form. Also you should use free weights as much as possible, even if it means initially reducing the weight that you can do on a machine.

i was about to say, 102-120 sounds pretty low/normal for active work rate...unless you are 50 or 60. now, if you are working and you have a bpm of 160-170, thats a serious problem.

chen: im doing a gradual transition to freeweights...i want to practice getting the forms down right so as to prevent injury or waste of time.

just for a rule of thumb, if you are doing high-intensity cardio workout at my age, you aim for a sustained heart rate between approx. 150-165 bpm...anything over that can potentially be dangerous..especially if you over exert yourself and do it for too long.

i was about to say, 102-120 sounds pretty low/normal for active work rate...unless you are 50 or 60. now, if you are working and you have a bpm of 160-170, thats a serious problem.

chen: im doing a gradual transition to freeweights...i want to practice getting the forms down right so as to prevent injury or waste of time.

just for a rule of thumb, if you are doing high-intensity cardio workout at my age, you aim for a sustained heart rate between approx. 150-165 bpm...anything over that can potentially be dangerous..especially if you over exert yourself and do it for too long.

Smetty - get the form right using free weights from the start. Machines really impede your progress - you barely have to use any stabilizer muscles when using machines.

Your heart rate for exercise - general rule of thumb - 220 minus your age = MAX heart rate. For fat burning, shoot for about 60-70% of that MAX, for increased cardio, up it to 80%. Higher than that should only be used for interval training, and you have to work up to that kind of level by establishing a good cardio base first. The more in shape you get, the harder it will be to get to your target heart rate.

Smetty - get the form right using free weights from the start. Machines really impede your progress - you barely have to use any stabilizer muscles when using machines.

Your heart rate for exercise - general rule of thumb - 220 minus your age = MAX heart rate. For fat burning, shoot for about 60-70% of that MAX, for increased cardio, up it to 80%. Higher than that should only be used for interval training, and you have to work up to that kind of level by establishing a good cardio base first. The more in shape you get, the harder it will be to get to your target heart rate.

right...so unless this guy is 60, a heart rate of 120 while working should be absolutely fine.

as for freeweights, i agree with what you say, but there is one reason im doing a slow transition: safety. theres more risk of injury with freeweights, period. and being that I haven't lifted for about ten years now, I wanna start where im comfortable and gradually move over to a completely freeweight work out. trust, i hear what you be sayin, this is after talking to a lot of associates at my gym and consulting some websites. ill get there eventually.

Just drop the weight so you're comfortable, because you will have to do a lot of readjustment with the amount of weight you lift moving over from machines to free weights. Even if it means just starting out with the bar. There's no increased risk of injury with free weights as long as you start with a weight that's comfortable for you and you use good form. Of course, this is just from personal experience and discussions with trainers, I'm no HKIN guy.

A heart rate of 120 while working seems a bit high to me, but I guess it's not a serious issue.

Found the pull up bars in the park... I'm so excited! The bar is actually tall enough that I have to do a little hop to reach them, so I can, for the first time, do pull ups with proper form, not bent legs at all.

I got an app for my iphone that trains you to be able to do, in one set, 100 push ups, 200 sit ups, 50 pull ups, and 200 squats. You do as many as you can in one set the first time, to find out your level. It then adjusts a workout plan automatically to start increasing your reps. It breaks it down into 5 sets of each exercise, and tells you how many to do each time. The last set you go until you can't do anymore. If you exceed your previous number, it continues, otherwise, the next time you work out, you have to re-complete that exercise until you make progress. The plan is you exercise 3 times a week, for 9 weeks. I like having it broken down for me so I know how many to do each time, and in a way that makes sense.

The app is called Fitness 4-in-1. You can buy the individual routine apps separately as well (dont know their names that way) but if you buy the 4 in 1 app, you save several dollars.

i started doing yoga and pilates last week and i thought i'd mention it here cause i'm proud of myself as i've never done any regular exercise before. fuck yeah!

hell yeahs Hoodie!! glad that you are enjoying it, and soon you shall reap the rewards of being healthy(or at least, healthier).

ive been tempted to try yoga if the price tag wasnt always so high.

it's $109 a month for unlimited classes, which is about the same as a gym membership, i guess? i've been going every day though, so it's definitely worth it.

and thanks, smetty :D

Guest Franklin

Yo303 your heart rate is absolutely fine. Don't worry about it!

on topic, I just discovered a picture of me from 9 years ago when I used to be a road racer (bicycling) and it has inspired me to get back into some sort of shape... 9 years of steaks and on/off again working out gives you a really sweet-looking gut that hangs down almost obscuring vision of your toes.

shortly after this pic was taken I was riding and hit head-on by some chick in a car on her way to a maths exam and unconscious for over 10 mins with all my toes broken, torn shit in my knees and various problems now in my mid-thoracic spine. Let's all reminisce shall we.

For maybe the first time I want that body back watmm.

post-466-0-24070800-1343184411_thumb.jpg

Franklin, you can do it lad! Dare to dream!!

Question: is it normal to increase lifting regiment by about 1-2 reps every successive time? I figure that seems like a really good pace. Im lifting for building, not toning just yet.

Also started to change up my diet to a slightly less awful one. Bought some natural high-protein wholegrain bread, some sugarless blackberry jam, and some all natural peanut butter to make some high protein post-workout PBJs.

Guest AcrossCanyons

it's $109 a month for unlimited classes, which is about the same as a gym membership, i guess? i've been going every day though, so it's definitely worth it.

and thanks, smetty :D

Is $109 a month actually normal? That is crazy money to spend imo altho I know nothing about yoga. My gym costs £10 a month...

Archived