IGNORED

Bikes

Guest theSun

Yeah, mech or derailleur. Just can't spell that word right without checking :)

Sorry for getting confused over your shifter problem. Sounds like the front mech is fine. As you say, it could simply be a naff cable, a bit of rust somewhere perhaps, fingers crossed for not being the shifter :)

and yeah, wearing a helmet makes a lot of sense. I never really used to, but looking back on it now, I was very lucky not to have hurt myself. I'd wear one if I was out at our local trails, I'd be expecting to crash hard at some point, but if I was just out riding somewhere I wouldn't bother. But the more road riding I do now, and just noticing how little consideration some drivers have for cyclists, going out without a hat seams suicidal!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Coalbucket PI

Sorry for getting confused over your shifter problem. Sounds like the front mech is fine. As you say, it could simply be a naff cable, a bit of rust somewhere perhaps, fingers crossed for not being the shifter :)

Yeah in my head I call it a derailleur but I can't spell it or pronounce it and I usually just say or write mech, haha...

Anyway they just phoned me, they are changing a few cables and fixing the spoke and new rear mech for £60. He had to stop himself from using the word 'fucked' but the left shifter is dead and its £100 for the replacement pair, but I had to say leave that for now and I'll bring it back in a few weeks when I have that money. 5 gears is enough for any real man anyway.

Guest fiznuthian

Yeah in my head I call it a derailleur but I can't spell it or pronounce it and I usually just say or write mech, haha...

Anyway they just phoned me, they are changing a few cables and fixing the spoke and new rear mech for £60. He had to stop himself from using the word 'fucked' but the left shifter is dead and its £100 for the replacement pair, but I had to say leave that for now and I'll bring it back in a few weeks when I have that money. 5 gears is enough for any real man anyway.

oh okay cool, yeah i was confused because i had heard cyclists call them "mechs" a lot.

never occurred to me they were referring to the derailleur.

see thats why i love bikes, £60 and your bike is working again.

had it been one of the thousands of things that could fail on car, the repair would have been £150+. more than likely a LOT more than that.

Guest theSun

hey guys, i'm looking at craigslist now trying to find a bangin deal.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/2501473936.html

i would pay 400 for this one - yay/nay?

Jamis is rock solid IMO

I would absolutely pay 400 for it, its worth that.

Just make sure it's what you want.

well i'll give it a test ride, but as i said i'm looking to ride on the road about 60% of the time and on non-technical trails the other 40%. basically i don't want a heavy tough bike as much as light and versatile that won't break if i play rough with it sometimes.

hey guys, i'm looking at craigslist now trying to find a bangin deal.http://buffalo.craigslist.org/bik/2501473936.htmli would pay 400 for this one - yay/nay?
Jamis is rock solid IMOI would absolutely pay 400 for it, its worth that.Just make sure it's what you want.
well i'll give it a test ride, but as i said i'm looking to ride on the road about 60% of the time and on non-technical trails the other 40%. basically i don't want a heavy tough bike as much as light and versatile that won't break if i play rough with it sometimes.

yeah man, that's looks pretty sorted. nice frame, can't tell wheat the forks are from the shitty pic. should def be happy bounding down some fire roads no problem. if it's all in as good condition as the guys says, it's a good price!

Be sure to give it a thorough check over mind, bottom bracket play and headset wear would be main concerns, double check the rims for cracks or splits as well. says its only been ridden 6 times, but with some people that's enough to have shafted it sideways.

this is what I've been lusting over recently.. Completely impractical bike that's awesome for aggresive street riding. It's all about 24s!!!!

<3

p4pb4604041.jpg

about £650 which at the moment feels like a lifetime away :(

Try and get in at least 100 miles a week on my beloved 2006 s-works ht mtb. I like to vary my ride with tarmac riding and do some miles off road too.. you gotta get up the hills to come down!

Anyone see le tour today? Andy Schleck rode an amazing race winning stage 18! putting him only 15 seconds behide the yellow jersey. One of the best stage wins ever in le tour de france!

Guest fiznuthian

i'm so fucking excited to get back on a bike

fuck

yes! :beer::yeah:

i'm still riding this to work

mongoose1_copy3_lg.jpg

how is riding on a bmx bike?

i have honestly never been on one, and i have a very difficult time grasping how to ride one comfortably.

bmx bikes seem squashed, with low seats and high handlebars. is the ride different than they look?

I really need to clean my bike up and whip it into shape. I've been slacking off on maintenance and barely riding. It's starting to make me sad. I don't even want to take a picture of it. :sad:

Guest fiznuthian

I really need to clean my bike up and whip it into shape. I've been slacking off on maintenance and barely riding. It's starting to make me sad. I don't even want to take a picture of it. :sad:

what kind of bike is it?

how do you like bullhorn handlebars?

i am looking to purchase or fix a road bike soon and am considering bullhorn style bars.

can you still get low to cut headwind like drops? i envision myself arching, extending my arms and it feels like it might be an aerodynamic position..

but i dont know.. drops are sweet, its so thrilling staring down and slicing through the breeze

:shrug:

I love them. Mostly because they're not very wide, so I can get in between stopped traffic and parked cars easily. I put my breaks on the top, but I know many people that put them at the end, which gives you a more aerodynamic posture. I would figure that drop bars are still better for that, but I guess it could depend on what angle they're pointed. Bullhorns also give you a little more leverage for going up hills, and are extremely light. Mine are made by SOMA, and they weigh like 2lbs max.

Again, I would say they're mostly useful for city riding, rather than racing.

I keep breaking the spokes on my back tire, so I want to get an Aerospoke wheel:

Aerospoke.jpg

They're like $400 though :wtf:

Guest Deep Fried Everything

I love them. Mostly because they're not very wide, so I can get in between stopped traffic and parked cars easily. I put my breaks on the top, but I know many people that put them at the end, which gives you a more aerodynamic posture. I would figure that drop bars are still better for that, but I guess it could depend on what angle they're pointed. Bullhorns also give you a little more leverage for going up hills, and are extremely light. Mine are made by SOMA, and they weigh like 2lbs max.

Again, I would say they're mostly useful for city riding, rather than racing.

word, i rebuilt a gitane grantour (road/touring) this past winter, and chopped the original drops (italian i think?) off so now they are bullhorn. i really like the configuration, i have my brakes mounted on the end of the tubes as opposed to in the middle, but haven't yet tried the other way around. it's a Great way to ride for commuting, but if i was doing proper unbroken road riding drops would definitely be better.

:wub: but it's too damn hot outside this week to do anything, much less ride a bike

but it's too damn hot outside this week to do anything, much less ride a bike

lucky bastards! Classic British summer here, as in, every time I've decided to out on my bike this week, it's started pissing with rain after 5 minutes of being outside, sucks :(

Guest Deep Fried Everything

if there's not a shower waiting for you at your destination this week, its probably best to just stay indoors (or drive... *gulp*)

i'mma try to take the bus later on though, hopefully it's on the coolish.

edit: spokes/rims for thread relevance :cisfor:

what kind of bike is it?

It's an old Esprit 10-speed that I converted to a single speed and threw some bullhorns on.

NBNVfa.jpg

neat, that's the only place for tube-style switchers: within reach. do you have a pic from the other side?

Guest theSun

not a whole lot, one of em have slightly better brakes, and a slightly better deraillerurure. Different rims as well, a few small differences here n there.

Different model year, companies do that kinda thing, rename a model, or slightly alter some of its components.. Dunno why really, to be difficult perhaps?

anyways, out of the two, I'd favour the 2009 for exactly the reasons the list on the side..

better brakes, tektro aren't amazing, but they're better than the other bike, and will be easier to get replacements pads for, well know brand..

better gears, Deore Rear mech is kinda entry level rear gear changer, will shift smoother and faster than the other, also 8 gears on the back, not 7

better rear hub as well. The 2009 uses what's called a cassette, the 2010 has a free wheel. without going to into detail, the free wheel is far heavier, less reliable, and potentially more expensive to fix when something brakes.

Better rims I think, zak19s are really bog standard stuff, the Alex ones I'm not sure about. again, will make a difference to weight.

Don't know either fork tbh, but RST aren't so bad, I had a pair some years ago, pretty reliable either way.

Yeah 2009 seams like a pretty decent bike man.

Archived