IGNORED

osx lion

chaosmachine

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah those core i5 macbook airs look nice....can't believe they killed the standard macbook though....thought they would have introduced a core i3/i5 range of white macbooks :(

I'm not supa excite about Lion, but I'm on the upgrade path and it's cheap, so why not?

There's also a simple workaround if you want to do a clean install or install a physical copy on multiple computers, so that takes away a big gripe of mine.

I'm not sure if I should go for it now, though: the last few 10.X.0 releases are usually a bit of a mess. Apple is great at fixing the OS rapidly, but a .0 is still a .0.

yeah those core i5 macbook airs look nice....can't believe they killed the standard macbook though....thought they would have introduced a core i3/i5 range of white macbooks :(

It makes total sense for them to have killed off the Macbook line. The MacbookAir is priced competitively with the Macbooks - and with services moving to the cloud, and external storage being ridiculously cheap, the Macbook serves no real purpose.

Cocoa is the modern OSX API. iTunes was a Carbon application up until now -- Carbon is a legacy API, from the pre-OS X days, and it's basically deprecated and out of whack with some of apple's own current interface guidelines.

A rewrite in Cocoa should make iTunes more consistent with the expected OS behavior, it brings 64 bit support (which is of questionable importance) and maybe most importantly it should clear out a lot of cruft that's built up in the program.

Anyone using PowerPC apps should note that Lion will not run them whatsoever...

I've been thinking of getting a MacBook Pro (my 2006 iMac is aging gracefully, but I've been wanting the portability of a laptop more and more since getting an iPad), but my main issue is I don't want to shell out 2500+ to get a MBP that can support a decent screen resolution - that being, they have the new 27" Cinema Display with Thunderbolt, HD FaceTime and 2.1 speaker system for 999.00, and supports up to 2560x1600 resolution - could I get a lower end MBP (say around 1300-1700) and buy the display, so when I need the ultra high resolution, I can utilize it?

In short, can a MBP display a resolution higher than what it's attached display maximum is? I'd venture a guess and say yes, but I'm not 100% sure and wondered if any MBP owners out there have done this.

Anyone using PowerPC apps should note that Lion will not run them whatsoever...

I've been thinking of getting a MacBook Pro (my 2006 iMac is aging gracefully, but I've been wanting the portability of a laptop more and more since getting an iPad), but my main issue is I don't want to shell out 2500+ to get a MBP that can support a decent screen resolution - that being, they have the new 27" Cinema Display with Thunderbolt, HD FaceTime and 2.1 speaker system for 999.00, and supports up to 2560x1600 resolution - could I get a lower end MBP (say around 1300-1700) and buy the display, so when I need the ultra high resolution, I can utilize it?

In short, can a MBP display a resolution higher than what it's attached display maximum is? I'd venture a guess and say yes, but I'm not 100% sure and wondered if any MBP owners out there have done this.

The apple spec page for the 13 inch MBP (intel graphics and shared memory) says:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

The file sharing via wifi with no network seems pretty sweet!

although...

AirDrop

supports the following Mac models:

MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)

MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)

MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)

iMac (Early 2009 or newer)

Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)

Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)

so being able to run lion doesn't necessarily mean being able to use Airdrop.

:cerious:

The file sharing via wifi with no network seems pretty sweet!

although...

AirDrop

supports the following Mac models:

MacBook Pro (Late 2008 or newer)

MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)

MacBook (Late 2008 or newer)

iMac (Early 2009 or newer)

Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)

Mac Pro (Early 2009 with AirPort Extreme card, or Mid 2010)

so being able to run lion doesn't necessarily mean being able to use Airdrop.

:cerious:

bugger

doesn't seem incredibly different yet.

scrolling is inverted. not sure if this is good or bad in the long run, but it's different, and temporarily disorienting.

you can resize a window from all 8 directions now, instead of just the bottom right corner. finally osx catches up to windows 3.1.

some weird things are broken, like the one adium skin i actually liked (all the rest work...).

back/forward in firefox doesn't work with the new 2-finger system (you can fix this by changing the settings back to 3 fingers in the trackpad prefs).

in the past, you could repeat a gesture to undo it (hide/show desktop, hide/show expose). this doesn't work with the new thumb+fingers gestures, which is annoying, you have to do the opposite gesture, or hit escape... also, gestures involving the thumb are considerably harder than four fingers up/down... in fact, i find all of the new gesture changes infuriating.

ooh, spotlight finally opens in fullscreen applications. now i can get rid of alfred.

they do work on my early '08 MacBook Pro, i think that was the first model that had a trackpad which supported all the multitouch.

Bummed about the lack of AirDrop though.

I upgraded earlier today, but I'm not sure that I'll 100% switch for a few weeks. It'd be nice if some patches came out, hints* were released, etc.

Things I really liked included making everything fullscreen (11" screen here, so it's quite nice), hiding scrollbars until you start scrolling, three finger-scrolling between desktops and fullscreen apps, and the blurring of things underneath <100% opacity windows (like Terminals). I'd really like the ability to disable* some of the animations. Also, when I installed, the "Customize" choice just before you install was greyed out. I'm not sure why, and I'm curious what sorts of customizations would be available.

also cool thing is, they introduced a new mac mini i5, starting at 599 euros here, not bad.

kinda off topic but:

if you bought a 2007 mac with a core 2 duo, you got the most bang for the buck, its still usable imho,

if you bought a mac short before i5/i7, congrats, you're a typical apple user. a year later you already had to scroll down for your benchmark results.

depends how fast intel comes up with new shit, but I think its not a bad time to invest, if you die for logic etc. I hope apple still provides snow leopard support for a long time.

also the prices on ebay for low end core 2 duo macbooks are absurd.

you can fix it by buying a new Mac

lol, the new Air models don't seem too shabby yeah?

can't bring myself to upgrade just yet.. tempted to buy the maxed out 11" Air, but what i actually want is its Pro counterpart which would essentially be a flattened MacBook Pro without rotating drives, whenever that may come out.

also, chaosmachine: you can change two finger scrolling direction back to what you're used to in the trackpad system prefs (if you hadn't noticed)

For anyone who has upgraded, how does Lion work without multitouch?

My late 2007 MBP is still brilliant for a lot of things and hardly shows its age except in gaming, but it can't do multitouch gestures and, apparently, Apple doesn't think it's good enough for Airdrop. :cerious:

Is it true you have to upgrade to Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to Lion? I heard that recently, and I don't really want to pay $60 to upgrade.

there's no protection / serial numbers / drm on snow leopard, so it's pretty easy to just borrow/acquire it. apple has $76.2 billion in cash reserves, they aren't gonna miss your $30.

Thanks for that bit of info. Gf's Macbook is now on SL :sup:

Archived