IGNORED

osx lion

chaosmachine

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it true you have to upgrade to Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to Lion? I heard that recently, and I don't really want to pay $60 to upgrade.

Is it true you have to upgrade to Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to Lion? I heard that recently, and I don't really want to pay $60 to upgrade.

there's no protection / serial numbers / drm on snow leopard, so it's pretty easy to just borrow/acquire it. apple has $76.2 billion in cash reserves, they aren't gonna miss your $30.

Guest Wall Bird

I wouldn't rush into upgrading. Odds are that several of your applications/plugins/etc are gonna end up as incompatible and need updates from the developers, so long as they're still supporting said programs.

I wouldn't rush into upgrading. Odds are that several of your applications/plugins/etc are gonna end up as incompatible and need updates from the developers, so long as they're still supporting said programs.

I was aware of this, but I'm going to have to update eventually...

Guest Coalbucket PI

I will probably leave this one to settle in for a few months and make sure its any good. I haven’t bought an OS for a while but $30 seems awfully cheap?

well, the os is part of every mac, its included in the price, so theres no serial, where should you install it, if not on a mac (omit hackintosh installations with that huge marketshare they have). Lion will run only on a dual core minimum. Not everything is sunshine with os x imho. Its a stable system due to be a unix derivate, the performance is rather poor,imho. Under the hood there won't be much to screw arround probably, so they will blow more eyecandy up your ass, you will able to run apps fullscreen, yay. I have a weaker Mac with less RAM and I'm not going to update. :cerious:

there's no protection / serial numbers / drm on snow leopard, so it's pretty easy to just borrow/acquire it. apple has $76.2 billion in cash reserves, they aren't gonna miss your $30.

apple is so rich

The normal process is: download 10.7 from the App Store. For the App Store, you need to have SL. Go figure.

But the actual Lion installer disk image is a regular .dmg file inside the package from the App Store, this can be burnt as a bootable disk / put on a bootable thumb drive. You can install 10.7 on a freshly wiped drive this way.

I shall be updating. I have a mid 2007 MacBook Core 2 Duo upgraded to 3gb RAM...should run fine!

jaahaha

this is how your dock will look like:

:beer::cisfor::cerious::duckhunt::pedobear::facepalm::braindance::aphexsign::emotawesomepm9:

I am awaiting your report captain!

Guest Coalbucket PI

I don't have a trackpad and I don't use Mail - is there any point in me getting this?

I have and I do but it still doesn't seem that much is new. The point in getting it will come when you start feeling left behind because software stops being updated for Snow Leopard.

That said it's £21 so I might as well buy it as soon as it looks stable

they've done things to text interaction for instance, like grammar checking/spelling correction has improved a lot, stuff like creating calendar events from within e-mails, Quick Look is much more useful.. there's a lot of usability things which got some treatment. In fact, you can read about it all here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

Many of the improvements are not tat flashy, but very handy once you have them..

Archived