IGNORED

osx lion

chaosmachine

also, chaosmachine: you can change two finger scrolling direction back to what you're used to in the trackpad system prefs (if you hadn't noticed)

yeah, i'm trying to decide if there's any advantage...

edit: ugh, yeah, changed it back. the old gestures were designed for laptops. the new ones were designed for touchscreens. the mental model is totally different, it's painful to try to consolidate them, and i don't see a reason to try. there's no efficiency gain here.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ryanmcallister

i had to shutdown/startup about 5 times before it recognized any input/output audio devices at all, including built-in. scared the shit outta me. other than that a big fat MEH! i just upgraded to stay current.

ARS Technica has a great, exhaustive write up on the new OS:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/1

Another thing: Your mac has to be 64-bit to install Lion - I don't think my 2006 iMac Core 2 Duo is (I don't recall seeing anything 64-bit when I upgraded to Snow Leopard), so that leaves me (and I suspect a lot of Mac users who typically get 5+ years of use out of their Macs) out in the cold if you want any of the Lion goodness.

I wished they'd stop with the big cat naming - I like numbers.

Although, it's not as bad as Adobe with their "CS" version confusion...

Ars Technica says that there's supposed to be a wizard/assistant that walks you through the new scrolling behavior before you can use Lion, but I never got any sort of orientation wizard. Weird. Could be the fact that I don't have multitouch gesture support on the laptop and no multitouch peripheral?

Anyway, without that wizard, the new scrolling behavior was pretty disconcerting, even as I was expecting it. It makes sense for touch gestures, but for a mouse scroll wheel it feels awkward and counter-intuitive (especially since I need to use standard Win7 scrolling all day at work). I'm glad there's an option to revert to the old-style scrolling.

Also, Lion seems to have detected my logitech mouse at set-up and decided to prevent the scroll bars from autohiding.

Things are a little laggy feeling now (mail especially), and I'm getting a weird semi-lockup when I try to assign Mission Control to a mouse button. point-oh.

Pretty happy with it on my 15” laptop. The only major annoyances i’ve noticed are stuttery scrolling Mail as you mentioned, and a bug where Safari gets messed up when in full screen mode and then merging windows..

But it's less than very good on the new 27” iMac i use at work though, full screen apps are just plain silly and the gesture implementation for that Magic Mouse is a bleh compared to a trackpad.

Been using the inverted scrolling for personal use for a couple of months now and it just took a bit of adjustment.. i can perfectly see how this seems awkward if you're mainly using a mouse though.. but if you happen to regularly use an iOS thing it’s no big deal.

Yeah, it's sort of a confusion of input methods for me. I use iOS frequently because I have an iPhone, and manipulating a screen to drag it in the direction of your finger makes perfect sense. If I could do it with my trackpad it would be a bit more of an abstraction but it would still make sense. But going from standard scrolling on a logitech mouse at work to inverted scrolling on a nearly identical logitech mouse at home just fucks my shit up. It's not a huge problem, but that little brief mental translation (where am I now, home or work? What OS am I running?)is probably going to keep me away from inverted scrolling until (a) I cave and get a magic trackpad or something or (b) I upgrade to a new MBP with a true multitouch trackpad. I'm hoping to put either of those off as long as possible.

(I usually keep my MBP on a stand to raise the screen to eye level, so I'm using an external keyboard and mouse when I'm at my desk. If the magic trackpad dropped to, say, 40 bucks I might actually grab one and relegate the mouse to gaming and hardcore doc editing. )

Yeah, it's sort of a confusion of input methods for me. I use iOS frequently because I have an iPhone, and manipulating a screen to drag it in the direction of your finger makes perfect sense. If I could do it with my trackpad it would be a bit more of an abstraction but it would still make sense. But going from standard scrolling on a logitech mouse at work to inverted scrolling on a nearly identical logitech mouse at home just fucks my shit up. It's not a huge problem, but that little brief mental translation (where am I now, home or work? What OS am I running?)is probably going to keep me away from inverted scrolling until (a) I cave and get a magic trackpad or something or (b) I upgrade to a new MBP with a true multitouch trackpad. I'm hoping to put either of those off as long as possible.

(I usually keep my MBP on a stand to raise the screen to eye level, so I'm using an external keyboard and mouse when I'm at my desk. If the magic trackpad dropped to, say, 40 bucks I might actually grab one and relegate the mouse to gaming and hardcore doc editing. )

I too, was considering the Magic Trackpad (because of the gestures, plus something different) but then I started having reservations about doing any work in Photoshop or coding (I use the mouse a lot for coding, dragging around code and duping it, highlighting, etc. I like the fact it's Bluetooth and won't eat up a USB port like most wireless mice do, but the price too (69.99) is a bit high, IMO.

So I have installed Lion and I am trying to use the inverted trackpad.. seems easy, but I use a mouse mostly so I think I'll have to revert it. The new features are pretty darn cool though!

So am I the only one who didn't get that intro-how-to-scroll tutorial?

I'm a little weirded out that it didn't launch for me.

ableton, akai, and native instruments all tweeted that they do not recommend updating to lion yet. seeing as I have a show in 2 days, no upgrading for now! (and probably not until all of the companies, whose products I use give the go ahead)

yeah my 2006 MBP is just a core duo - runs snow leopard fine, but no lion for me.

Oscillik - snide comments about the availability of software for an OS are never becoming, even more so from one who is a proponent of Linux.

For NI - you can run in 32 bit mode.

Oscillik - snide comments about the availability of software for an OS are never becoming, even more so from one who is a proponent of Linux.

i'm not the only one who is irked by Apple's marketing.

Also, this is watmm don't forget - someone has to be the annoying guy that pops in with snide comments that have absolutely no use whatsoever in the thread other than to infuriate those that actually like the product / music / burrtio. i guess in this thread, that guy is me.

also, i'm not that big into Linux...i just use it occasionally and like to keep myself informed.

as it stands, i shall bow out now that someone has mentioned their distaste at my comments. i can take a hint!

do you mean the tone of their tv commercials?

i mean everything about their marketing. the way they imply that everything they make is magical, or that they're innovating when in fact they just bought another small company, or just implemented cut & paste almost 10 years after it was a standard feature on a smartphone.

i mean everything about their marketing. the way they imply that everything they make is magical, or that they're innovating when in fact they just bought another small company, or just implemented cut & paste almost 10 years after it was a standard feature on a smartphone.

true. but for what it's worth, wouldn't they be considered good marketers? especially (or at the very least) towards the portion of the public that doesn't recognize how condescending their marketing angle is.

true. but for what it's worth, wouldn't they be considered good marketers? especially (or at the very least) towards the portion of the public that doesn't recognize how condescending their marketing angle is.

yes this. i dont disagree with you osc and i am an apple user. but every time they introduce a new product, it is a game changer, like it or not.

Also, this is watmm don't forget - someone has to be the annoying guy that pops in with snide comments that have absolutely no use whatsoever in the thread other than to infuriate those that actually like the product / music / burrtio. i guess in this thread, that guy is me.

Just this thread?

just kidding, I wubu.

Archived