IGNORED

The Thing 2011 prequel

soundwave

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Trailer is slightly ambiguous to how bad it will suck, but i definitely see any possible way this could be great. There was pretty cheesy lines in there. I think I'm falling in love with.. the girl from Scott Pilgrim. Ah, MARY ELIZABETH WINSTEAD, I will put in your butt.. In my next lucid dream.

mary-elizabeth-winstead9.jpg

mary%2Belizabeth%2Bwallpaper%2B21.jpg

please all you guys talking about the reasons why this movie is stupid please dont see it you shouldnt give them your money dont encourage htis kind of atrocities against humanity

i agree and i wonder if that's why people get so upset about these remakes, because fanboyness won't allow them to resist seeing it.

Recently got a free emulation VST for the Ensoniq SQ-80 and there is Carpenter presets all over it. There's one that you could play the entire Thing soundtrack with. You can never match these: a bearded Russel, Rob Bottin going batshit insane (literally) with all those EFX, Carpenter on synth and camera. I call fail.

i just bought a real SQ-80 yesterday - carpentertastic!

also, this film looks shit

you can't replace the lead character of kurt russell with some chick just because kurt russell had long hair. it'd be like giving the lead role of an alien prequel to jake gyllenhal or justin bieber.

FAIL

prequel or remake, whatever, i don't even know.

yeah, when i first saw this trailer a few months ago i said basically the same things everyone seems to be saying so far.

- the original worked well without any hints of a love interest / female cast, etc.

- no matter now hard we try, it's impossible to capture the essence of an 80's movie in the day and age. we are different now. the 80's were a magical time that cannot be relived. (i struggle with this daily)

my biggest point, however, is that i have no idea why i keep hearing about this being a prequel. if this were a prequel, the original crashed UFO was discovered by a Norwegian base in Antarctica, and therefore would make for a really kick ass subtitled movie. but no one in hollywood is brave enough to do this. this should have taken place in that Norwegian base, not on another, completely different American/Canadian base, with the exact same number of people with similar character roles, and an opening scene with the monster debuting in the dogs pen, dialogue perpetually parallel to the original... this was built to be a remake, and i'm not excited.

anyway, my blood is boiling a bit over this potential aberration, but i will still see it. :/

Guest Wall Bird

Luke, you seem confused on several points.

This is the story of the Norwegian team. As for the characters speaking in English, chalk it up to being an American film.

Also, who said anything about a romance subplot/Canadian base/monster debuting in the dog cage, - which, by the way; dogs in a cage are to be perfectly expected, since it's an antarctic camp.

This is the story of the Norwegian team. As for the characters speaking in English, chalk it up to being an American film.

oh, so it's the Norwegian base after all? well it certainly doesn't seem very fucking Norwegian. because in the original, when they visited the Norwegian camp, those Norwegians were really fucking Norwegian.

Also, who said anything about a romance subplot/Canadian base/monster debuting in the dog cage, - which, by the way; dogs in a cage are to be perfectly expected, since it's an antarctic camp.

that trailer did. that trailer said all of those things. except, i don't know where i got the Canadian thing. i think it's because Essines has, and always will remind me of MacReady.

Guest fondles the cat

looks absolute dogshit. with predators and now this, i'm thankful that ridley scott is the one who is going to fuck over alien and blade runner

The Carpenter version of this may be my favorite film of all time so this is pretty hard for me to deal with. Part of me is happy that I get to see more of The Thing saga, but let's face it, we all know this is going to suck. KURT RUSSELL FOR LIFE BABY!

looks absolute dogshit. with predators and now this, i'm thankful that ridley scott is the one who is going to fuck over alien and blade runner

alexa chung avatar, hmm.

Guest fondles the cat

alexa chung avatar, hmm.

hmm or mmm?

Guest fondles the cat

yeah i mean i'm sure she's a horrible person but then i'm on the internet at half twelve on a friday night moaning about the thing

there is a valid reason why there would be confusion, because the filmmakers of this movie are trying to manipulate fans into thinking it's a genuine prequel while giving a general audience the impression it is a movie taking place in contemporary times, not in the early 1980s. The people who made this movie couldn't decide which one they wanted to do. they didn't respect the original enough to do a true prequel so they make it seem as amorphous as possible. which is why in the end this movie will not win fans of Carpenter's the Thing over. Not to mention that the lead appears to be female, part of what made the original so good was the gruff all male cast.

Archived