IGNORED

chatmm

MAXIMUS MISCHIEF

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I think the man has a point. We were making Chatmm too sexual guyes. We just have to tone down all the sexyness about 11 notches to the left and Joyrex will be moderately comfortable with himself.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had probably one of the most insightful discussions on watmm just two days ago with a number of people. It was very educational and entertaining. I won't go into what the discussion was because it was too involved to summarize and well it'd probably sound lame if I tried.

Chatmm serves so many purposes to those that use it. People share their own work and listen to albums together. The style of humor and word play is more alive and spontaneous.

Sure we can all do this in other chatrooms, but watmm is a jungle of IDMers and at any moment someone new might stop in and add to the discussion and atmosphere.

joyrex if its such a hassle to keep this site going, it seems like u have big problems almost every month ,maybe you should think about selling the site to someone who actually enjoys coming here and wants to be part of the community

itd be nice to have an admin who doesnt dislike the majority of things going on here, some1 who actually doesnt mind paying to keep it runing

idk just an idea

seriously... the logic behind this decision makes zero sense. Let's go over this together, so it can be clear how irrational this decision is.

List of reasons why chatmm is gone

1) Costs

2) Moderation

3) Illegal File Sharing

List of solutions

1) Acidphakist will kindly pick up the check / other members I am sure will chip in.

2) Self Moderation aka sending PM's to mods, screen capping inappropriate behavior, avoid chatmm if you find it to be too "adult" / "mature".

3) Just like with drugs, people will use them if they want to. Killing chatmm will not prevent people from downloading illegally.

*awaits response*

Whilst it's quieter than it was briefly, some great times have been had in chattum. Loads of great knowledge and hilarity shared amongst us

Not only that but simply as a matter of meeting wattumers irl was a lot more interesting simply because you'd all been talking on chattum for a while and sort of knew the kind of character you'd be meeting (it made such an idea far more acceptable and interesting)

It MAY be quiet now, but there is nothing to say it won't be quiet in the future. I think it should be around because it'll give folks the same chance to possibly gain something from wattum that is far more inciteful than the posts on the board ;)

again, I'll rehearse the lines of links wouldn't bounce back to wattum even if illicitly shared via chattum. We also have some rules, you know one that says "anything you post here is your own shit, if you get caught by some company for sharing illegal links YOU are taking the shit, NOT wattum" (not as if that'd ever happen anyway since we're all sharing mostly hard to get music or obtuse/obscure artists that are actually happy of the idea of people enthusiastically sharing their music and still talking about it for whatever reasons).

It's really no money in the long term to keep it up and running considering there are members here who have stated they'd happily chip a few squid in to cover costs.

pros of keeping chattum: Wattum in return enriches itself because people have good times in chattum and get something far more satisfying from it than the posts

cons of chucking it: No chance of positive experience in chattum in the absence of chattum, the community slowly declines from an unfavourable decision via the host which is Joyrex.

It IS your website Joyrex, I'm not here to argue that, nor am I contesting your idea of "it's my roof, I'll run this boat as i please either" even if I disagree with it. You do however have to listen to what your users want, and they want chattum up and running. You might say you have no obligation to listen to what your users want because again it is your roof, however you are creating a social community here, co operation and friendliness is the name of the game here if you want to happily run a thriving and vibrant/interesting community.

I have gained many a friendship and spoken to many a character, my life has most definitely been enriched because of chattum/wattum. Please don't break it all up, other people deserve the same chances I did to enjoy the community in a similar manner.

I'm not even sure why I bothered to post this all, I have the sinking feeling that you are a closed radio on the matter and will not listen to the logical and politely made points that show chattum being beneficial to wattum in the long run regardless of the current state of activity or content within.

but hey, it's the internet "srs business" and all that jazz, if I don't like the house rules i should leave right?

PS: any chattum veterans/wattumers using an IRC line or some other client as an alternative, feel free to PM me the details (O.S is windows 7 for any chat client I might require).

Guest futuregirlfriend

I think that xchat2, the one osc linked to, lets you save your password in the program when you're setting up what server and channels you want to join, but if you're using mirc you may want to do this

watmmircperform.jpg

Guest Enter a new display name

Yep, gone - waste of money. It wasn't being fully utilized anyways, and only a small group of people were actually using it - not to mention the amount of illegal links to copyrighted material that was being freely passed around.

i don't get why you guys can't just pretend that stuff doesn't happen....do you have record companies on your ass or something? i think watmm is more low key than you think IMO

I got personally warned by a label once. Not for saying LEAKED though.

:sup:

Yep, gone - waste of money. It wasn't being fully utilized anyways, and only a small group of people were actually using it - not to mention the amount of illegal links to copyrighted material that was being freely passed around.

i don't get why you guys can't just pretend that stuff doesn't happen....do you have record companies on your ass or something? i think watmm is more low key than you think IMO

you'd be surprised the amount of people that are 'in the biz' who actually check this place...

Autechre personally messaged me and asked for the links to the soundboards. They were so high they didn't even remember doing the set and wanted to archive it for reasons of "the lulz". I gave them a link and then they immediately sent me a cease and desist letter. After cutting the letter up and rearranging it I found that it was actually a secret note that included their newest MAX/MSP patch and a link to all of their self-recorded home studio sets!! They called my mum and told her great job! Then they e-mailed me and asked me to never tell anyone about that time or else they would kil

and joyrex is somehow responsible for what people post?

i never said he was, i was merely pointing out that your assumption that this place is rather low key is a bit off the mark.

Joyrex's stance on posting links isn't entirely a legal responsibility, at least that's the way he comes across a lot of the time. i could be very wrong here, but that's the problem with communicating over the internet - there is room for subjective interpretation between the lines.

Autechre personally messaged me and asked for the links to the soundboards. They were so high they didn't even remember doing the set and wanted to archive it for reasons of "the lulz". I gave them a link and then they immediately sent me a cease and desist letter. After cutting the letter up and rearranging it I found that it was actually a secret note that included their newest MAX/MSP patch and a link to all of their self-recorded home studio sets!! They called my mum and told her great job! Then they e-mailed me and asked me to never tell anyone about that time or else they would kil

lol

Archived