IGNORED

Firefox updates

chenGOD

Since Mozilla has decided that more releases equals better product, let's use this thread to discuss what shit their updates break, or if they don't break anything, what the good points are.

So. Firefox 6 - break anything?

For me it breaks my password extension manager. So umm, no thanks.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

all my extensions are working fine. when I first updated to fx 4 cookiesafe no longer worked, but it turned out that the author had pretty much abandoned the project, so I switched to cookie monster, which does what I need. in fx 6 they started highlighting the domain in the url, which I disabled in about:config.

They're so competing against Google Chrome for who has the highest version number. It was like when I was in playschool and we'd draw racing cars and the best person was the one who could fit the most amount of '9's on the side of the car ....

They're so competing against Google Chrome for who has the highest version number. It was like when I was in playschool and we'd draw racing cars and the best person was the one who could fit the most amount of '9's on the side of the car ....

it's more like they're competing with chrome for who can have the latest features.

yeah Chrome doesn't make a huge deal about version numbering, it just autoupdates... constantly. I see they passed Opera, at version 13 now lol.

going to install Firefox see how they're doing.. kinda lost track after they added features like sync that wasn't working very well and that open window management system thingy...

Definetly falling victim to feature creep, which is kind of funny since the whole reason Firefox got popular is because it was a lightweight version of Mozilla Suite. Maybe they should spawn a lightweight version of this one too.

Definetly falling victim to feature creep, which is kind of funny since the whole reason Firefox got popular is because it was a lightweight version of Mozilla Suite. Maybe they should spawn a lightweight version of this one too.

As a long time FF user this is beginning to wear on me, since the whole reason I went to it in the first place was that it was lightweight and efficient.

Also, the way they keep changing how you update your extensions and plug-ins is just unnecessarily confusing. I'm using 6 and there's no immediately apparent way to check for updates to extensions. Nor is there any apparent way to dispose of extensions incompatible with 6.

Also, updating Flash automatically installs google chrome on your system without so much as even asking for your permission. Fuck you adobe.

Also, the way they keep changing how you update your extensions and plug-ins is just unnecessarily confusing. I'm using 6 and there's no immediately apparent way to check for updates to extensions.

click on the firefox button then addons (or ctrl+shift+a) then click on the gear button and check for updates.

Nor is there any apparent way to dispose of extensions incompatible with 6.

from the same tab click on disable or remove.

Also, updating Flash automatically installs google chrome on your system without so much as even asking for your permission. Fuck you adobe.

disable automatic updates for flash (and any other program available from filehippo.com) and install the filehippo.com update checker.

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Also, the way they keep changing how you update your extensions and plug-ins is just unnecessarily confusing. I'm using 6 and there's no immediately apparent way to check for updates to extensions.

click on the firefox button then addons (or ctrl+shift+a) then click on the gear button and check for updates.

Thanks. Did not see tiny gear button.

Nor is there any apparent way to dispose of extensions incompatible with 6.

from the same tab click on disable or remove.

The extensions that are automatically disabled b/c they're incompatible w/ 6.0 are greyed out, so you can't remove them. Any ideas?

Cqy4C.jpg

optional.

No. Not so when updating via the Add-ons Manager - Plugins.

Firefox has gesture support as well. It's worth getting because it's the most flexible browser.

I've seen a lot of OSX Firefox installations hang like crazy though.

if you're not already hooked on firefox extensions, you don't really need it. i have a bunch of addons for firefox that i find indispensable for web development, though.

chrome is probably better for casual browsing.

Guest inteeliguntdesign

if you're not already hooked on firefox extensions, you don't really need it. i have a bunch of addons for firefox that i find indispensable for web development, though.

chrome is probably better for casual browsing.

What ff extensions are you using for web dev?

I'm finding chrome's inbuilt debugger much better than firebug these days.

Yeah the webkit debug tools are pretty much on par with Firebug. And they have more advanced profiling tools. On Firefox I also use good old web developer toolbar for easy access to disable cache, cookies and resizing to specific resolutions. Oh and GridFox for when I need to make sure everything aligns correctly.

I cycled back and forth between google chrome and firefox for years but inevitably both would break on me with enough forceful operations (too many tabs or wierd extensions).

I've been using Safari since June, I don't think I'm going back to any of those browsers.

Archived