IGNORED

for the love of chairs

jules

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my buddy found 8 original Herman miller shells tossed after the storm here. they are originals and orange but the fuckers spray painted the tops of the shells black. any ideas on how to strip that? they are fiberglass.

like this?

9-6--shell.jpg

basically you can treat them just like a fibreglass boat or car panel so if you know a guy? or...

use an acetone based paint stripper which will remove the paint without damaging the gel coat and fibreglass... then a fine fine wet sand...

then follow the guide on this website made just for you (and i)... chairfag

edit - also, lucky bastard! are they tops only or with bases?

I found that chairfag site too in researching. lol.

acetone won't damage the fiberglass?

shells only, no bases. but if a little elbow grease gets us some pretty chairs, I am all for it! I will post pics when I get to the office.

acetone won't damage the fiberglass?

if the gel coat layer is in tact acetone won't get through it... if it's not then acetone prob not adviseable. you'd only leave it on for a minute at a time.

i suppose whoever painted them might have sanded them to buggery to get a good key for painting. maybe you can chip off some paint somehow to see what state they're in underneath?

(my friend also rescued one but it wasn't spray painted, just lifeless and cracked - i'll see if he knows anything)

something called EZ-Off recommended here but it sounds like hard work for 8 chairs...

http://forums.iboats...lass-89772.html

• 3 weeks later...

i checked them out, they are pretty heavy with the paint but it is chipping in parts so there is hope in removal. we decided to wait until the nicer weather to do it. i don't want to do it in my garage and be breathing in paint and fiberglass. especially with my little man hanging around. once it gets nicer we are going to give it a go on one of them. i will be sure to keep this updated.

• 4 months later...

still not tackled those seats yet jules?

my parents passed this chair on to me at the weekend as a wee house warming gift. i've always liked it and double bonus boner cos my great grandfather made it...

zufi47.jpg

I've just bought a Steelcase Leap V2. Usually £800, but manged to pay £150 second hand from an office reseller in very good condition. Tried the Aerons but preferred this. Not an aesthetic classic but my arse and back love it.

Leap%20Web%20Main%20banner%20813x304.jpg

i am in desperate need of a comfortable computer chair, i pretty dont make music because the only chair ive got is so uncomfortable. any reccomendations in the 100 odd mark? that one looks good kak, however im not paying anywhere near 850.

Your best bet is or keep an eye out for secondhand through failed company sell offs or used office resellers. Go along and try one out if possible.

In best office chair dicussion the three makes that always come up are various Herman Millers (Aeron, Mirra), the Steelcase Leap, and Humanscale Freedom. The Herman Millers are trendy and command a premium, you'd be lucky to get one for less than £250 second hand. Leaps and Freedoms go for £150-£250, but you might get one closer to £100 in a less desirable colour, finish, earlier version etc. I haggled my price down, and got it delivered for free.

that is an awesome chair keltoi! is that a marble fireplace too? excellent.

have not attempted the chairs yet. it is just starting to get nice out over here so hopefully in the coming months.

that is an awesome chair keltoi! is that a marble fireplace too? excellent.

cheers man. i love the fact my great grandad made it. i have a couple of wooden trunks he made too, he was really talented...

marble fireplace, aye. :beer:

Archived