IGNORED

Occupy Oakland confronted with tear gas

awepittance

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oakland mayor backing down...

http://blog.sfgate.c...lice-crackdown/

Jean Quan wrote that she will “personally monitor” investigations of police misconduct. Yesterday, the ACLU of Northern California and the National Lawyers’ Guild demanded a full investigation. The groups also asked the Oakland Police Department to immediately produce records about the use of force in responding to the early morning raid of the Occupy Oakland encampment and the evening demonstration, and the detention of those who were arrested.Her statement also expressed “deepest concern for all of those who were injured last night, and we are committed to ensuring this does not happen again.” Iraq Vet Scott Olsen was critically injured by a police projectile and remains at Highland Hospital. Hundreds of others were sickened by tear gas or injured by police violence or projectiles.

Occupy Oakland protestors tore down the fences surrounding Frank Ogawa Plaza Wednesday night and held a general assembly of 2,000. There were no police in sight. The protestors voted for a general strike on November 2nd, the first in over 65 years of Oakland history.

http://www.occupyoak...-day-of-action/

I had friends there but no one hurt and woke up by helicopters all night.

My roommate works directly above the plaza and had to leave his building by 3pm on the day of the first response to being kicked out.

With all our earthquakes recently I'm waiting for a mass action to coincide with the next "big one" lolol

Just got word Michael Moore is going to Occupy oakland to Oscar grant plaza any second to speak to the crowd, i went earlier today but didnt want to wait around for 3 hours for him to show up.

also - Free RecordLabelRecords show tonight at 751 3rd st in Oakland FOR Anybody coming from or involved in Occupy will get in for free as long as you mention it at the door. 9pm-6am , live dave smith tempest techno and Mike Dunkley DSP idmery

dunkley.jpg

3 Oakland cops identified as 'protestors' during the Occupy rally. I wonder how many more infiltrators/provocateurs there are in the crowd?

it's really all too easy for a provocateur to ruin a protest, all an undercover cop has to do is either instigate someone to start some violence or just throw a projectile themselves and run away.

edit: forgot the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VIpIKrh7Z8&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlzfAwTs5hU&feature=related

NYPD punches female protestor in the face and knocks her on the ground in front of crowd full of people (look closely in the first 4 seconds, the girl has a bright green shirt on in the center right of the frame)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlzfAwTs5hU&feature=related NYPD punches female protestor in the face and knocks her on the ground in front of crowd full of people (look closely in the first 4 seconds, the girl has a bright green shirt on in the center right of the frame)

I'd like to see the events just prior to this. It basically starts with the punch. I do see a bit of arm flinging by the woman in green right as it begins. I don't like seeing anyone punched in the face by cops, but I do want to see the context.

Guest Ricky Downtown

i don't mean to imply that the occupy wall street protests are the liberal version of the tea party, but i do think it's pretty funny how different the police treat tea party protesters compared to how they treat the occupiers..

http://www.usnews.co...ot-tea-partyers

edit: after watching the video in the post above me, it's obvious "funny" isn't the right word to use

i saw some of your signs!

i just experienced my first tear gassing, shit was intense. I am fine but more details will follow. I took a pretty good field recording of the whole flash gernade police barrage

here is some video i took right before the gas was unleashed -

i high tailed it out of there as soon as the pellets started flying (i expected canisters, but they were these weird cluster smoke bombs, tiny things that spread all over the place) and didn't have a chance to film.

the protests were completely peaceful until a bunch of black block anarchists lit fires in dumpsters and started created makeshift barricades. All it took was 20-30 of these assholes to give everything a bad name

Did anyone try and stop the black-block anarchists?

no. the violent ones remain as an excuse to create media and popular pressure to put down the protestors acting non-violently.

i hate how its always just a few idiots that make thousands look bad. all i see in the headlines today is "occupy oakland protest turns violent" or some variation of that....

If these guys aren't agent provocateurs (hell even if they are) in a non-violent protest, the others protesting should make every effort to stop those idiots.

Note, I am not condoning the tear-gassing of the protestors.

If these guys aren't agent provocateurs (hell even if they are) in a non-violent protest, the others protesting should make every effort to stop those idiots.

Note, I am not condoning the tear-gassing of the protestors.

agreed, but its usually not that easy. cameras will show sectarian violence within the group; hence, police are called in to protect the occupy group from themselves.

its completely beyond me how anyone can think smashing a few windows and defacing atms is going to change anything at all. bunch of fucking children.

exactly. what sorts of efforts do you think people would make to stop anarchists burning things? "i don't suppose you'd like to lay down your spray paints and we'll talk this over"

non-violent resistance only works best if there is a gigantic active population sympathetic to a very sympathetic cause.

Gandhi-non-violent resistance movement for Indian independence...there were very few ethnic Indians opposed to independence

MLK-civil rights movement-there were very few Af.Amers opposed to civil equality.

OSW-tons of different people from a plethora of ideological, ethnic, age, income backgrounds.,..all want very different aims (at least portrayed that way), and half of the country wants nothing to do with them, and probably more are apathetic towards the movement.

Archived