IGNORED

Burial - Kindred EP

chassis

Am I the only one that prefer his debut to Untrue? Granted, I have not listened to Untrue as much as his debut, but it's just because it felt more of the same.

no, i very much prefer it to Untrue

It has U Hurt Me.

Of course its fucking better.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

burial is rare artist who has allowed us to interpret our connection with him almost entirely through his musics and his musics are built so well for this

I replaced music with testicles whilst reading this.

µ

Guest Backson

Cal Chuchesta is awesome.

shut up. Anthony is so awkwardly unfunny it hurts, but doesn't realise because he has a very high opinion of himself.

Very off topic but,

Why is Burial considered dubstep?

I always wondered that too. Does not have the wowowowowooo bass and that stuff, sounds dark though. I guess it sells more if they say it's dubstep...

Guest Popemobile v2

You know, I've noticed this effort to exticate Burial from the dubstep scene, and it's pretty gay. Dubstep does not have to be a dirty word, and I for one am glad to have Burial associated with it. That being said, yes, he has gradually moved away from the sound for a while now, and the "future garage" tag tends to be more fitting. That's still in the general sphere of dubstep though, with the UK garage and 2-step origins. For more recent Burial there's just less of the "dub" part in dubstep, but let's be real: Burial certainly started off as a dubstep artist and it's not like he's completely changed his sound, either. Calling Kindred dubstep is not a faux paus on par with calling it "techno" or some similar term that gets abused and misused like hell.

You know, I've noticed this effort to exticate Burial from the dubstep scene, and it's pretty gay. Dubstep does not have to be a dirty word, and I for one am glad to have Burial associated with it. That being said, yes, he has gradually moved away from the sound for a while now, and the "future garage" tag tends to be more fitting. That's still in the general sphere of dubstep though, with the UK garage and 2-step origins. For more recent Burial there's just less of the "dub" part in dubstep, but let's be real: Burial certainly started off as a dubstep artist and it's not like he's completely changed his sound, either. Calling Kindred dubstep is not a faux paus on par with calling it "techno" or some similar term that gets abused and misused like hell.

Its not the bass that makes it dubstep for me. Its the beats. The drums in nearly all dubstep (except for a few exceptions) is beefier and less subtle. Its all boom boom, with no hints of others. Dubstep drums seem to be there or not, theres no in between.

Id prefer to call burial 2-step or garage, but people dont like calling things past 05 garage. They want to confine it to 90s and barely early 00. Really it doesnt really fucking matter, it just makes it easier when describing to people who've never heard it before.

Most dubstep is really shit.

Its not the bass that makes it dubstep for me. Its the beats. The drums in nearly all dubstep (except for a few exceptions) is beefier and less subtle. Its all boom boom, with no hints of others. Dubstep drums seem to be there or not, theres no in between.

precisely. dubstep is all kick on the one and the three, with a snare on or around the four (and with more emphasis on the drums). garage tends to be much busier and shufflier, with a lighter touch. it's true that burial's first album is 'dubsteppier' if you're going to use that criterion, though.

precisely. dubstep is all kick on the one and the three, with a snare on or around the four (and with more emphasis on the drums). garage tends to be much busier and shufflier, with a lighter touch. it's true that burial's first album is 'dubsteppier' if you're going to use that criterion, though.

When you say shufflier... do you mean like footwork/the stuff thats been coming out on mu the last few years?

not important, I was just curious.

When you say shufflier... do you mean like footwork/the stuff thats been coming out on mu the last few years?

not important, I was just curious.

Like hihats with shuffle, triplets and wot not. Shuffles not a new thang.

to a degree, all you have to do is listen!

i find the drum programming in 2step is a little bit more sophisticated, but i guess the simplistic nature of juke/footwurk is part of the charm. both have plenty of triplets. both burial and this stuff are pretty triplet and shuffle-heavy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGdJrvskdv0&feature=related

totally seminal tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAULh9Puv4g

housey beat meets garagey beat long before burial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKOLDa4M8-o

shades of 'raver' here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgdNc6V0jxc

fucking adore this tune. compare with 'archangel'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZKSeUC8nKo

tl;dr burial is a unique talent. he's something special. but he has a LOT more in common with excellent 2-step garage than he does with dubstep.

Archived