IGNORED

Dayvan Cowboy video

Guest fox

Guest Iain C
I liked it - not what I was expecting, but still very nice and well-edited. Nothing wrong with using stock footage - after all, had it been laiden with NFBOC footage (and for all we know, the surfing stuff could have come from a NFBOC documentary), you lot would be furiously masterbating in front of your computers, hoping the boss/coworker doesn't hear you climax when the pan flute starts playing or the American Indian starts crying on the shore of a polluted lake.

LOL :yeah: Steaming ladels of pwn for the hungry BoC fans

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what I expected in the way of a BoC video prior to watching this. I thought the first part was cool, but when I saw the surfer I instantly thought of Capri-Sun or Sunny Delight. I think BoC tracks are better left to our imaginations and not to be interpreted by a video.

Guest audiopollution

It was a nice wave but it would have much easier for him to jump in the VW Camper and drive to the coast.

if the video footage of the dive was unknown i think it owuld have a greater impact but because we have all seen it off th einternet before its kind of, meh.

after the dive portion they could of at least come up with their own stuff, maybe the surfer should of got straight out of the water, into a dayvan and gone on a road trip instead.

I think seeing it on DVD in a normal resolution should change a few people's minds, and with a decent soundsystem as well. I still think it's a good video. Again, not what I was expecting, but I think that's why there is a negative reaction to it - everybody had in their minds what a BoC video should look like - all sun flares, turquoise, and grainy Super 8 imagery. I wonder what people who've seen thier films before at their few live shows think.

overall,i thought the imagery was pretty. but i saw 2 fan made videos on That Other Site™ that were made using stock footage of an old film from the 60s that BOC sites as an inspiration. 10x better than this video.

after the dive portion they could of at least come up with their own stuff, maybe the surfer should of got straight out of the water, into a dayvan and gone on a road trip instead.

Yeah...I know it's usually a mistake to rely on our own expectations/interpretations. But still, I always had a very distinct visualization of this track. Pictured a lone middle-aged, sun-scorched man driving through the flats of Nevada, hair blowing around in the wind through the open window of his 1960's van while blasting the tune on his 8-track.

But again, BoC are welcome to their interpretations. Even if they're hokey and lack anything interesting.

you can always get the footage and make your own version, that would be cool to see what others thought it would be...

Guest crazymonk

Yeah...I know it's usually a mistake to rely on our own expectations/interpretations. But still, I always had a very distinct visualization of this track. Pictured a lone middle-aged, sun-scorched man driving through the flats of Nevada, hair blowing around in the wind through the open window of his 1960's van while blasting the tune on his 8-track.

But again, BoC are welcome to their interpretations. Even if they're hokey and lack anything interesting.

you can always get the footage and make your own version, that would be cool to see what others thought it would be...

Or you can do it yourself. Since I live in Nevada, I do it all the time ('cept I'm 26 and not really sun-scorched). I also visited Death Valley 6 weeks ago and blasted Dayvan Cowboy while driving down into Badwater (below sea level) right after sunrise at Zabriskie Point. 'Twas the balls.

Guest Archrival
if the video footage of the dive was unknown i think it owuld have a greater impact but because we have all seen it off th einternet before its kind of, meh.

Exactly what I thought.

Guest slsnod

I liked it - not what I was expecting, but still very nice and well-edited. Nothing wrong with using stock footage - after all, had it been laiden with NFBOC footage (and for all we know, the surfing stuff could have come from a NFBOC documentary), you lot would be furiously masterbating in front of your computers, hoping the boss/coworker doesn't hear you climax when the pan flute starts playing or the American Indian starts crying on the shore of a polluted lake.

I disagree. I wouldn't mind the use of stock footage if it was manipulated, destroyed or altered in a way that evoked a personal touch. It's the same with audio sampling...I have no problems with someone using a recognizable sample, just so long as they breathed their own life into it. What happened to BoC's modus operandi of warping things into something completely unrecognizable? There was no subtlety here, no careful touch, nothing that said "Boards" outside of the backing track.

If they'd used NFBOC footage in the same way, I'd still be disappointed with it. The source isn't what's important (we''ll, I'll state this loosely). It's what you do with it, and how sculpt it into something uniquely yours.

man how are you going can you manipulate a video that deals with nature? if this video was warped or whatever youre saying, it would do the opposite of what youre talking about. the video doesnt glorify humans, it doesnt really show the guy doing anything graceful. he's spinning out of control in space, and he crashes at the end. (the dolphin doesnt have a glorified landing either.) this video is very rough cut in many ways.

you're completely missing it anyway

Guest Archrival
overall,i thought the imagery was pretty. but i saw 2 fan made videos on That Other Site™ that were made using stock footage of an old film from the 60s that BOC sites as an inspiration. 10x better than this video.

thank you, sounds like my videos :laughing: and yes indeed I like them better than this one to be honest.

Guest Promo
Hmm...this was decent. Worth the download + preorder, but disappointing overall.

Just stock footage? Common guys.

Exactly my thoughts too. Not really a video IMO. Pretty boring I thought.

It was a nice wave but it would have much easier for him to jump in the VW Camper and drive to the coast.

Yeah road travel and shit would have been far more evocative as images with a sort of old skool 70s vibe to it.

Guest Archrival

"Yeah...I know it's usually a mistake to rely on our own expectations/interpretations. But still, I always had a very distinct visualization of this track. Pictured a lone middle-aged, sun-scorched man driving through the flats of Nevada, hair blowing around in the wind through the open window of his 1960's van while blasting the tune on his 8-track.

But again, BoC are welcome to their interpretations. Even if they're hokey and lack anything interesting." This was exactly how I pictured the track...

And SKytree you foool, in the other topic, you said you didnt have no expectations at all about how the video would or should look :grin:

Archived