IGNORED

it's been a while since there's been a truly great release

Alzado

Whilst I agree with the general opinion of most people here that there have been many many outstanding albums recently, I guess OP is probably talking about something that has garnered wide or cult acclaim and has become very influencial. otherwise the topic has no structure at all and might as well have been called "i like old albums, now argue with me as though that could even possibly be mistaken for objective..."

mastodon?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lindrum Larry Cocopipe

Should also add the Silent Hour/Golden Mile EP from Daniel Rossen.

Cant help but hear Beatles all over this one. Great tune!

I think Merriweather Post Pavilon was the last one that made everyone get married and have babies and stuff. It's solid. I like it now and then.

But I think the real earth shattering albums are only like that to a smaller audience now. There's still a HUGE amount of people who would think MPP is unlistenable freak noise.

Guest Backson

Whilst I agree with the general opinion of most people here that there have been many many outstanding albums recently, I guess OP is probably talking about something that has garnered wide or cult acclaim and has become very influencial. otherwise the topic has no structure at all and might as well have been called "i like old albums, now argue with me as though that could even possibly be mistaken for objective..."

mastodon?

Baroness is heaps better.

mastodon?

Huh? Baroness is like Mastodon lite.

By "a truly great release" I would understand a release that pushes the boundaries and brings something drastically new. Not sure the one who created the thread intended it that way. Anyway this definition implies a very subjective opinion.

Although I agree with the title. The releases I've heard from the last past years didn't excite me as mush as some release did previously.

Alright! by Bogdan Raczinsky, United Acid Emirates by Ceephax, and yeah maybe $o$ by Die Antwoord are the releases that come to my mind right now, but they didn't excite me as much as releases by 90s / early 2000 did. I'm sure anyone who will read that will think it's a weird list but yeah, here's my point, all of that is very subjective.

By "a truly great release" I would understand a release that pushes the boundaries and brings something drastically new. Not sure the one who created the thread intended it that way. Anyway this definition implies a very subjective opinion.

Although I agree with the title. The releases I've heard from the last past years didn't excite me as mush as some release did previously.

Alright! by Bogdan Raczinsky, United Acid Emirates by Ceephax, and yeah maybe $o$ by Die Antwoord are the releases that come to my mind right now, but they didn't excite me as much as releases by 90s / early 2000 did. I'm sure anyone who will read that will think it's a weird list but yeah, here's my point, all of that is very subjective.

Alright! and United Acid Emirates I think were actually quite influential on the scene. They were albums just for the fun of music, not the pretentious "oh I'm so dark, complex, and moody blah blah blah" albums that seem to have taken over the scene. Not saying I don't appreciate the drukqs and the go plastics etc etc, those are incredible albums and some of my favorite.

But Bogdan and Ceephax releasing those great albums just for the fun of music were in my opinion ground breaking/ahead of their time and influential - there is tons of lo-fi "raver" type music coming out now.

I think that's what you were getting at.

The Die Antwoord thing though... I don't know about that. Subjective, as you say.

Alright! and United Acid Emirates I think were actually quite influential on the scene. They were albums just for the fun of music, not the pretentious "oh I'm so dark, complex, and moody blah blah blah" albums that seem to have taken over the scene. Not saying I don't appreciate the drukqs and the go plastics etc etc, those are incredible albums and some of my favorite.

But Bogdan and Ceephax releasing those great albums just for the fun of music were in my opinion ground breaking/ahead of their time and influential - there is tons of lo-fi "raver" type music coming out now.

I think that's what you were getting at.

The Die Antwoord thing though... I don't know about that. Subjective, as you say.

Yeah, it's like those two releases brought that idea of "un-seriousness" but they did it so well that there were not so much room left for some following releases of that sort.

I'm still not sure about Die Antwoord but what I can say is there's an energy in their music I haven't heard in a while.

Guest Backson

mastodon?

No way, you joking bro?

The "lite" aspect is the fact they draw more influence from classic rock.

Which is what makes Blue Record far more consistent than any Mastodon release I've heard.

Also,The King of LImbs, so why this thread?

A lot of fans were pretty divided over it. It sounds pretty transitional, but any Radiohead release will cause a stir.

mastodon?

No way, you joking bro?

The "lite" aspect is the fact they draw more influence from classic rock.

Which is what makes Blue Record far more consistent than any Mastodon release I've heard.

No joke. I do enjoy Baroness quite a lot, and their more melodic tracks like Steel That Sleeps The Eye, but I've always found Mastodon to be really unusually consistent for any style in rock and kick substantially more ass. But then again I'm a very casual metal fan and most heated debates about why this or that metal album sucks for some arbitrary reason make me scratch my head. And there are so many weird debates like that.

• 5 months later...

2012 has been better for me than the last 5 years combined. And it's not even over yet.

Burial - Kindred

Lone - Galaxy Garden

Four Tet - Pink

Actress - R.I.P.

Shackleton - Music For Quiet Hour/The Drawbar Organ EP's

Holy Other - Held

Mystical Sun - 26000. Best thing I`ve heard in years. I usually get bored of stuff pretty quickly, due to lack of depth and atmosphere etc, but I keep coming back to this immersive Psychedelic Electronic masterpiece.

Archived