IGNORED

it's been a while since there's been a truly great release

Alzado

I know what LOL Alzado is getting at, there has been great music released (even the free FACT mixes are really good imo and are brilliant feebies) however there does seem to be a drought on what one might percieve as 'classic' releases. I think electronic music is in better health than guitar music though, so you are in a better place.

All I can say my friend is that things will kick up again soon. But what I do find strange is that during these hard times is that youngsters don't seem to have much to say. So many youngsters must be dissulisioned with life (you know the statistics of youngsters unemployed etc) that I would of thought it would be a prime breeding ground for great material. But there seems to be this great silence....

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of good albums listed here. But you guys really think any of this is landmark type of stuff?

Ive liked a fair number of albums in the past year, but the last one that I heard that I thought was a classic was probably The Suburbs. I'm ready for a new classic. There's some good stuff coming out this year. Fingers crossed.

You will find true classics by not looking for a similar formula. The most recent classics I found in generes I had no knowledge of before like Jazz and modern classical. try to search for genres that you have no idea of but intellectual people you know value highly. I recently had discussions with a classical pianist and they mentioned some artists they like and from there my journey leads to last.fm where I find more of these and sometime to new releases I consider classics.

sure this doesn't solve the "there is no new epic stuff" problem but maybe its the wrong way to look for epic stuff as these releases often need time to develop

i'm talking about a release that tends to grab everyone's attention and has a wide consensus for being brilliant. it's been a while. is what I'm saying. lana del rey is pretty meh.

Machinedrum thread is pretty long

also skrillex

Shabazz Palaces' album Black Up blew my fucking mind - and its been on heavy heavy rotation continuously since it came out. A new album hasn't done that to me in half a decade at least.

There've been no shortage of other personal truly great releases for me. The Shabazz album also got universal acclaim though.

I should give that Shabazz Palace another try. I DL'd when it was first lighting up the hip hop blogs. Since then I've seen it get pretty great press. Note to self: deserves another chance.

Slave Ambient by The War On Drugs was a pretty great album last year. I wouldn't call it a classic but it was stronger than most.

I think a large part of the problem is that we are exposed to SO MUCH stuff these days compared to the pre-internet days that we spend LESS TIME with each release. At least for the musically hungry like us - and that applies to the press, too.

Maybe we've heard these game-changing, future classic albums - but only gave them one or two cursory listens and didn't let them sink in before moving on to the next thing, and inadvertently forgetting about them. OOPS. Maybe it's there somewhere on your hard drive or your CD/vinyl shelf.

I think a large part of the problem is that we are exposed to SO MUCH stuff these days compared to the pre-internet days that we spend LESS TIME with each release. At least for the musically hungry like us - and that applies to the press, too.

Maybe we've heard these game-changing, future classic albums - but only gave them one or two cursory listens and didn't let them sink in before moving on to the next thing, and inadvertently forgetting about them. OOPS. Maybe it's there somewhere on your hard drive or your CD/vinyl shelf.

This. There are fewer and fewer recent releases I latch onto and cherish compared to when I was younger. Simon Reyolds has been discussing the trend in "retro" sounds lately and he mentioned how alarmed we was that he no longer can think of specific songs or albums to associate with recent memories (say, the last summer, or notable artists/albums for the last decade) whereas in his youth he can pinpoint entire scenes and movements with very clear personal memories. I feel the same way, I can listen to say, an Interpol album and get crazy flashbacks to 2004, or hear a pop single and remember hearing it while I was driving around in high school, yet now for the most part I can't pinpoint when or where I heard a track from the new M83 album, even though I love it and have played it out a lot recently. He's also alarmed by how little attention is placed on any "future" sounding music, more and more critical albums have been some kind of throwback to a past style, or a novel recycling of past genres. Interesting but alarming stuff, and it at least partly explains these kind of feelings we get now in regards to listening and reflecting on new releases.

Real talk.

I think that re: financial collapse/unemployment/youngsters; the cutting edge of culture left music long ago. We should be looking at software and technology for the next big thing/scenes to come from young people.

That said, the Machinedrum album did get across the board consensus as being some sort of 'well-flowing and relevant' 2011 music experience.

Guest MortstoX

i'm talking about a release that tends to grab everyone's attention and has a wide consensus for being brilliant. it's been a while. is what I'm saying. lana del rey is pretty meh.

If you by "grab everyone's attention and has a wide consensus for being brilliant" means society outside this nerdfest mb, two recent examples would be last years PJ Harvey. Or Kanye West in 2010.

And also what Oscillik said.

This. There are fewer and fewer recent releases I latch onto and cherish compared to when I was younger. Simon Reyolds has been discussing the trend in "retro" sounds lately and he mentioned how alarmed we was that he no longer can think of specific songs or albums to associate with recent memories (say, the last summer, or notable artists/albums for the last decade) whereas in his youth he can pinpoint entire scenes and movements with very clear personal memories. I feel the same way, I can listen to say, an Interpol album and get crazy flashbacks to 2004, or hear a pop single and remember hearing it while I was driving around in high school, yet now for the most part I can't pinpoint when or where I heard a track from the new M83 album, even though I love it and have played it out a lot recently. He's also alarmed by how little attention is placed on any "future" sounding music, more and more critical albums have been some kind of throwback to a past style, or a novel recycling of past genres. Interesting but alarming stuff, and it at least partly explains these kind of feelings we get now in regards to listening and reflecting on new releases.

true back then you had a bunch of releases to chose from now there is this infinite stream of music but I still stand by my point that if you start to look into new genres that you had no idea of before you will find new classics. the more unknown and unconnected to former listening habits the more likely it is

what also helps:

find releases that inspired your heros. what did they listen to before making that epic release. often you will find awesome stuff as well that is not directly connected to what you know

Guest Backson

Almost all my favourite albums are from the last 5 or so years. I would consider them masterpieces, even if its only by my standards.

There were even a couple in 2010, so you know I ain't scared, biyotch!

Almost all my favourite albums are from the last 5 or so years. I would consider them masterpieces, even if its only by my standards.

There were even a couple in 2010, so you know I ain't scared, biyotch!

yeah, but you're 12 years old

I think a large part of the problem is that we are exposed to SO MUCH stuff these days compared to the pre-internet days that we spend LESS TIME with each release.

fo sho

Shabazz palaces - Black up is truly great, at least in my ears. It's probably the only thing I heard last year that really stuck out though.

edit: too late. fuck. I really should drink more coffee and read threads more carefully before posting. I'm jazzing left and right these days.

I wonder if release like The Wall or the Beatles stuff is just regarded this epic because there was nothing before that. I mean if you would just listen to that today it would totally get lost between all the noise and you only give it a chance and by this establish a connection because you know how epic its legacy is

Archived