IGNORED

Music that you like "ironically"

gmanyo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A guilty pleasure is like killing hookers and wanking on their corpses. Ive never felt guilty after listening to a track, unless you beat up a kid and took his CD, Ive yet to do that though.

fucking ZOLE

I fucking love the safety dance

My friend took singing lessons from the singer of that band. And one guy I was recording considered getting him to do some session piano work for us, but he decided against it for fear that Men Without Hats dude would want to take over the project. Apparently he really likes to do things his way. No dancing at my studio, btw.

I really like Extreme's III Sides album. I'm glad i got into music in grade 5, because there's no way i would have ever gotten into some of that shit in high school, and oh how I would have missed out.

And around the same time i got into this:

I had both albums on cassette, and rebought III Sides on CD maybe 5 years ago after seeing it in a thrift store for four bucks. I'm still looking for a comparable deal on Sound of White Noise, but one day it'll happen.

"Ironically" really isn't the best word to describe it, which is why it was in quotes. "Nostalgically" would probably be a better word, but also not perfect.

I guess something like this would be an example:

http://youtu.be/tajDxBaPBBM

I assume back in the day it was supposed to sound future-ey or next level or something; like Windows 98 was the next big thing. If I was the same age as I am now back in '98, I would probably think that it sounded trite or annoying, especially after being forced to listen to it every time my computer started up (I've used Macs my whole life though; I might switch to Linux soon because they keep getting worse). Now, however, it sounds amazing, but not because it's "beautiful" in any intended sense. There's something about the low bit rate and cheesy-ness that make it sound so good. So "nostalgic" would be a better word, but "hauntology" (hauntological?) would probably work even better. Although I guess since I like it for the opposite reasons than intended, it is ironic in a sense.

The MIDIjam video I posted in the OP is a better example. The intention of the song was to be soothing easy-listening music. But I like it because it sounds so perfectly like cheesy MIDI music.

Edit:

It's also the reason I watch public access late at night. Community bulletin boards are the bomb.

"Ironically" really isn't the best word to describe it, which is why it was in quotes. "Nostalgically" would probably be a better word, but also not perfect.

I guess something like this would be an example:

http://youtu.be/tajDxBaPBBM

I assume back in the day it was supposed to sound future-ey or next level or something; like Windows 98 was the next big thing. If I was the same age as I am now back in '98, I would probably think that it sounded trite or annoying, especially after being forced to listen to it every time my computer started up (I've used Macs my whole life though; I might switch to Linux soon because they keep getting worse). Now, however, it sounds amazing, but not because it's "beautiful" in any intended sense. There's something about the low bit rate and cheesy-ness that make it sound so good. So "nostalgic" would be a better word, but "hauntology" (hauntological?) would probably work even better. Although I guess since I like it for the opposite reasons than intended, it is ironic in a sense.

The MIDIjam video I posted in the OP is a better example. The intention of the song was to be soothing easy-listening music. But I like it because it sounds so perfectly like cheesy MIDI music.

Edit:

It's also the reason I watch public access late at night. Community bulletin boards are the bomb.

Oh, so you mean, like this?

Awesome song.

yeah i don't really get this either. i don't like anything ironically or however you wanna put it. either i like it or i don't. i never feel ashamed for liking something, no matter how cheesy or whatever.

examples of stuff i genuinely love that would probably be considered too cheesy for some

First of all... fuck you.

2nd...

I've thought long and hard about it and I don't think it's possible for me to like something "ironically". Either I like it or I don't... and I love Klaus Nomi.

Archived