IGNORED

Music that you like "ironically"

gmanyo

I was wondering what music people liked ironically. By "ironically", I don't quite mean it in the usual sense. I mean music that's so cheesy that it actually sounds cool or nostalgic or hauntological. Kind of like the feeling of Eccojams.

A couple personal examples:

Raging Waters by Al Jarreau (0:44 is the best part)

Microsoft "Flourish" in MIDIjam

I put the videos in spoiler boxes so that they wouldn't slow down scrolling.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe; I actually wondered that myself. Either way I like it, but I think that it's just that it sounds really old school and over-the-top. It has the same appeal as modern throwbacks to 80s music, like the new M83 album or That We Can Play.

anything by phil collins. aside from in the air tonight. i actually like that song

I started this way. Downloaded some Phil Collins songs 'ironically', ended up with some Genesis songs as well, then before I knew it, the irony disappeared and became AWESOME.

Since then, I'm not ashamed to say I like something even if it's largely regarded as terrible. e.g. Paramore, 311, Coldplay, Kanye West, Metallica's album 'Death Magnetic'.. you get the picture.

I dont know what this means.

i think it just means guilty pleasure—that's how i'm interpreting it, at least.

I really legitimately love that you use an em dash in almost every post!

I'd say there's a difference, but it's hard to describe. Skrillex is a guilty pleasure for me; I can't help but like some of his stuff. But if you look at the OP, MIDIjam is definitely not. There's something almost creepy about it. Al Jarreau could probably go either way.

anything by phil collins. aside from in the air tonight. i actually like that song

I started this way. Downloaded some Phil Collins songs 'ironically', ended up with some Genesis songs as well, then before I knew it, the irony disappeared and became AWESOME.

Since then, I'm not ashamed to say I like something even if it's largely regarded as terrible. e.g. Paramore, 311, Coldplay, Kanye West, Metallica's album 'Death Magnetic'.. you get the picture.

I dont know what this means.

i think it just means guilty pleasure—that's how i'm interpreting it, at least.

I really legitimately love that you use an em dash in almost every post!

haha maaaaan, typography classes taught me that sentence breaks require em-dashes, date/number ranges require en-dashes, and hyphenated words use simple hyphens. Also, I'm bad at formulating simple, consecutive sentences without breaking thought in the middle.

The concept of ironically liking something is the most retarded idea Ive ever heard of.

If it is in fact, guilty pleasure your talking about thats pretty stupid. A guilty pleasure is like killing hookers and wanking on their corpses. Ive never felt guilty after listening to a track, unless you beat up a kid and took his CD, Ive yet to do that though.

Archived