IGNORED

chemical brothers

david

I think "Surrender" was the first CD I ever legit bought with my own (pocket) money, I remember walking home with it proudly in my hand like it was a vinyl record hehe..

"Hoops" from their album after that is actually still one of my favorites, I think as a kid this was the first time sound set off a visual reaction that still makes me think I was hallucinating.. It's really kind of a strange sounding track to me.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a friend in high school lent me his CD of Surrender which I wore out (literally, I gave it back to him with the case in pieces - I remember his face when he saw it).

before that I only knew BACK WITH NUTHRONEATHOSE BLOCK ROCKEN BEETZ

For some reason (possibly dr lopez's necrobump) I recently looked at the credits for Surrender and was surprised how little was actually written by the two of them. Aside from Under The Influence, Orange Wedge & Surrender it looks like all the other tracks were written by other folks (was even more suprised that Missy Eliott was a co-writer) of Music:Response

https://www.discogs.com/The-Chemical-Brothers-Surrender/release/136452

p.s. I could've sworn the first time I heard Under The Influence on the radio they gave it another name, like just numbers or something.... unless it was an Electronic Battle Weapon maybe ?

it's a vocal sample

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/42030/The-Chemical-Brothers-Music%3A-Response-Nicole-Wray-Missy-Elliott-Mocha-Make-It-Hot/

I don't think it was an EBW release, ill check my Brotherhood box set and see if its on there

Aha .... so they have to use 'Written By' (and then the original artist) if they use a sample from another artist (or is it just an over-zealous Discogs entry author)

p.s. I miss late 90s big beat.

Aha .... so they have to use 'Written By' (and then the original artist) if they use a sample from another artist (or is it just an over-zealous Discogs entry author)

p.s. I miss late 90s big beat.

Yeah they were pretty thorough on clearing samples. I remember hearing a Breezeblock interview where they mentioned something like 20% of the royalties of "Hey Boy Hey Girl" went to the Rock Master Scott & the Dynamic Three for that vocal sample. 

For some reason (possibly dr lopez's necrobump) I recently looked at the credits for Surrender and was surprised how little was actually written by the two of them. Aside from Under The Influence, Orange Wedge & Surrender it looks like all the other tracks were written by other folks (was even more suprised that Missy Eliott was a co-writer) of Music:Response

https://www.discogs.com/The-Chemical-Brothers-Surrender/release/136452

p.s. I could've sworn the first time I heard Under The Influence on the radio they gave it another name, like just numbers or something.... unless it was an Electronic Battle Weapon maybe ?

They had an alternative mix I know from the 1993-2003 comp I bought when I was in high school. It was on the bonus disc which also had a live version of Electrobank that was my first proper intro to sub bass. I can still think of how much I played that in my VW jetta cd player. 

Anyway I think that was an EBW track but maybe the radio station played the other version. There's probably a CB forum you could get an answer from.

My 6th grade science teacher introduced me to the Chemical Brothers in 1996. I bought 'Dig Your Own Hole' in '97 and wore it the fuck out. 'Elektrobank' is an awesome track and the video is pretty neat too.

Man I was so late to the game. I got that album after owning the comp I mentioned above. My introduction to them was off an old MTV comp my dad had. (Same comp got me into Flaming Lips and Nada Surf, hah) 

It's bewildering to think that hearing that song lead me to them and then on to Aphex Twin. I used allmusic.com to find all of that stuff back then, sans audio samples because we had such shitty internet. I'd go with a review and what seemed most interesting in terms of description and then find the CDs at half price books or Best Buy.

They had an alternative mix I know from the 1993-2003 comp I bought when I was in high school. It was on the bonus disc which also had a live version of Electrobank that was my first proper intro to sub bass. I can still think of how much I played that in my VW jetta cd player. 

Anyway I think that was an EBW track but maybe the radio station played the other version. There's probably a CB forum you could get an answer from.

I think that might be *exactly* the version I first heard, definitely remember it being darker than the 'released' version

EDIT: Apparently it was indeed one of their EBWs though that one is closer to the version on the album than the above mix you posted -

They had an amazing run from Exit Planet Dust through to Surrender.

I remember when you couldn't watch 15 minutes of Eurosport without catching a montage set to Leave Home or Dig Your Own Hole (or Suede's 'Beautiful Ones', :wtf:).

dig your own hole was my third electronic music cd. first was orbital green , second was fatboy slim you've come a long way baby..

dig your own hole really did blow my mind when i was first heard it. after that experience i got more and more into electronic music, borrowing the prodigy jilted generation / chemical brothers surrender, and fatboy slim better living through chemistry from friends and recording them to tape

after all this great music i would listen to the radio less and less until not at all

Fuck up beats is class.

Saw them at Leeds festival 97-ish (?) they played the dance tent straight before the prodigy played the main stage. Between the dope and poppers I seem to recall a strobe light which said “ALL IS LOVE” on the black screen. As the strobe slowed down it just left the above statement. Proper show that was.

Archived