IGNORED

Play the latest 3D games for free in your browser via streaming

o00o

Sony might finally be starting to turn the corner and get back on track with this - the biggest implication for this will come at E3 next year when they will probably reveal the PlayStation 4 (or whatever it's called), and show off a new game for it, and then tell the audience it's playable now, via Gaikai in their current PS3 (bandwidth connection permitting, of course).

Guest chunky

People won't be able to pirate or buy second hand games any more? You won't even own what you pay for, having to rent it and pay multiple times for the same game. It's funny because you can read old interviews with Shigeru Miyamoto from the 90s predicting all this stuff. The next step will be selling us dumb terminals without a CPU or ram, so that home programmers are powerless and the government has control over the data flow on computer networks. It's a good time to give up on virtual realities. :biggrin:

I've just tried trackmania canyon. It's not seemless and I certainly don't think this will be the future of gaming, but it would be a nice way to present demo's for sure.

Sony might finally be starting to turn the corner and get back on track with this - the biggest implication for this will come at E3 next year when they will probably reveal the PlayStation 4 (or whatever it's called), and show off a new game for it, and then tell the audience it's playable now, via Gaikai in their current PS3 (bandwidth connection permitting, of course).

Btw regarding next-next-gen, I can tell you our studio is starting to work on it now, and some of the tech specs are just insane. It's going to put a huge burden on artists, tbh.

Is this the thing where you are locally playing something on another computer somewhere else?

It'll never work because of the latency is something like 500ms minimum. Unplayable for most gaming types.

I was really amazed that this works. Though there are some problems (my internet connections seems to be quite slow and the service is overrun by a lot of people sometimes) it works amazingly well and thanks to WATMM i could play the latest need for speed for free. Crazy technology. I would have never thought that this would work - how do they compensate the latency?

Btw regarding next-next-gen, I can tell you our studio is starting to work on it now, and some of the tech specs are just insane. It's going to put a huge burden on artists, tbh.

Interesting to know - by burden, you mean in creating textures, models, etc. - essentially the assets for the game's visuals?

Funny how it's come full circle - graphics (and the creation of them) were always the most time-consuming aspect of classic video games, and now due to the insane detail in models and textures, it once again becomes the most time-consuming aspect since engines like Unreal, Havoc and Square's new engine (not to mention Konami's engine) seem to handle all the complex physics and interaction aspects of the games these days.

Archived