IGNORED

what is the drum machine used in polygon window?

Gordon

the 808 sounding tracks could be Roland R8 with an 808 rom card, or perhaps he's was using a sampler with those types of sounds.

Untitled is blatantly a 606, and UT1-Dot sounds like it is too.

never heard of the R8 before. Looks amazing.

yeah I mean it's pretty cool - you need to ROM cards to make the most out of it though (ideally the one with 808 sounds I guess). the stock sounds that come with the machine are those boring "real" sounding samples. the R8's strength lies in it's humanisation options to add dynamics to your patterns. cool machine though and relatively cheap - the ROM cards can be pricey though!

Yeah I'm down with the r8 I think. The 606 stuff is was obvious already yeah. Is the 808 card the 'electronic' card? Or is there an actual 808 card?

'electronic' card is the 808 one.

someone really needs to reverse engineer the cards from these old synths and make them do some crazy shit. What if you made a card that let you load samples on it from usb or something. It's got to be possible.

good idea...yeah sure it must be possible somehow. it'd certainly open up interesting possibilities - load up your R8 with samples of your own synth patches and go crazy on the pads...

whoa-300x223.jpg

Better yet, make the signals normally used to scan ROM addresses within the cards instead modulate synth parameters (EDIT: on an external computer or Arduino, etc. - such as sample position, envelope amplitude) that are normally modulated over time...

Of course, this doesn't differ that much from just spitting out MIDI notes. Except I'm guessing you'd get the R8's internal pitch & sample interpolation method, as well as the polyphony/choking method, applied to your synthesis technique. Assuming it doesn't have some crazy LFOs or something, that's probably not worth all that much. :unsure:

Archived