• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Anyone making bangin' stuff with just (or primarily) A4? I'm considering making the jump from cheap shit to something like this.. the idea of exploiting parameter locks sounds intriguing, and if I could build a full IDM set using one of these + microbrute + drum machine I'd be happy.

edit: I say this after considering the new electribe, and wondering, what if I actually spend more money..?

edit: I say this after considering the new electribe, and wondering, what if I actually spend more money..?

this line of thinking gets me in trouble so often. Got a $100 gift card for my bday, think about throwing $50-$100 of my own on top and getting something nicer/more useful, then after 4 hours I'm looking at $650 things ;___;

Yeah. I was looking at the electribe, thinking about how nice it'd be to have an easy to use melodic sequencer so I don't have to keep using reaper, and then got on to some elektron demos and realised that if I got say, an A4 or monomachine, I could probably take just that to gigs, maybe with the microbrute for live lead sounds.

I'm already trying to think of what I can sell in order to buy one :P

Yeah. I was looking at the electribe, thinking about how nice it'd be to have an easy to use melodic sequencer so I don't have to keep using reaper, and then got on to some elektron demos and realised that if I got say, an A4 or monomachine, I could probably take just that to gigs, maybe with the microbrute for live lead sounds.

I'm already trying to think of what I can sell in order to buy one :P

Semi-regularly see monomachines for ~700 used if you're patient. Thinking that might be my next acquisition as well. I should really sell the small bit of eurorack I have before it becomes too late to turn back :9

700 what? I'm in Australia so getting anything here would be exorbitant hahah

And the drum machines look cool, but I'd prefer a melodic synth that can also be mangled into drum sounds.

700 what? I'm in Australia so getting anything here would be exorbitant hahah

And the drum machines look cool, but I'd prefer a melodic synth that can also be mangled into drum sounds.

USD!

Sorry for being so US centric, especially when talking gear prices.

Godspeed you in your acquisition of choice wares!

hnnng, I'm still trying to decide between this and the monomachine.

on the one hand, the monomachine has 6 polyphonic tracks of MIDI out, which would be good if I ever get another poly synth or something..

.. but the micro-timing and overbridge/usb multitracking on the A4 would make it fucking mindmelting

.. but the MM has 6 outs anyway

.. but the A4 could sequence my fkn monotron and microbrute's CV inputs

.. but the MM can sequence my volca keys and electribe ES-1

.. but the A4 looks better

ARGH maybe I'll eventually look into getting both :P

That said, I do want something that is more all-in-one, something that I can take to gigs and perform an entire set on just the one unit. Maybe the MM is better for this, with the 6 channels and more capability to go crazy with digital sounds (I just imagine a set that starts off all chippy with the SID sounds and then gets increasingly mangled)?

on the one hand, the monomachine has 6 polyphonic tracks of MIDI out, which would be good if I ever get another poly synth or something..

.. but the micro-timing and overbridge/usb multitracking on the A4 would make it fucking mindmelting

.. but the MM has 6 outs anyway

.. but the MM can sequence my volca keys and electribe ES-1

.. but the A4 looks better

ARGH maybe I'll eventually look into getting both :P

That said, I do want something that is more all-in-one, something that I can take to gigs and perform an entire set on just the one unit. Maybe the MM is better for this, with the 6 channels and more capability to go crazy with digital sounds (I just imagine a set that starts off all chippy with the SID sounds and then gets increasingly mangled)?

FWIW I thought about the A4 for a split second but I decided on the MM. I've wanted one for years anyway. I've loved the sound of it in everything I've heard it in and the synthesis just seems so much more interesting. The only things on the A4 that are compelling to me are, yeah, the microtiming (which I rarely use on the OT and apparently can be worked around somewhat using the MnM arpeggiator) and the patch-locking for drums (which I plan to compensate for by using it alongside my Shruthi-1, and locking program changes to create drum channels). The CV is just begging for some modular and I don't want to touch that shit with a 10-foot pole. Not with my budget. That's playing with fire.

Being able to play 4-note chords on one track is very appealing to me. Being able to lock LFO shape & destination is huge, although the A4 might have this functionality as well. Reallocating any track I choose to be an effect track instead of a generator will be great for when I'd rather go for fewer sounds but with more complexity, rather than more simple layers. Having a dedicated delay on each track is juicy although I tend to abuse that when it's available :P

But the big one is just the sound. It's so colorful and flexible. After that is the fact that I can bring it to the couch or to a coffee shop or on a train and just sit there with no bullshit and crank out tunes with one little box.

Also if I understand correctly, Overbridge isn't done yet?

Oh, it isn't? Damn. How about the USB multitrack feature? It'd be great to dump each track out to a DAW track for further processing.

And yeah, now that I think about it, micro timing isn't the most important thing. If I get 64 steps per pattern in the sequencer that's basically all I ever use in Renoise anyway.

I'll try to have a play on the A4 anyway. I think it'll encourage me to be a bit more adventurous with my sound design and sequencing given the limitations.. like using a supercharged version of Protracker or something

Oh, it isn't? Damn. How about the USB multitrack feature? It'd be great to dump each track out to a DAW track for further processing.

And yeah, now that I think about it, micro timing isn't the most important thing. If I get 64 steps per pattern in the sequencer that's basically all I ever use in Renoise anyway.

I'll try to have a play on the A4 anyway. I think it'll encourage me to be a bit more adventurous with my sound design and sequencing given the limitations.. like using a supercharged version of Protracker or something

I think that is 'overbridge'.

You will need to record each channel individually until the usb feature is implemented.

On a side note, does using 'overbridge' replace the audiocard in the DAW??? ie its overbridge or your audiocard, not both at the same time???

I wouldn't think so? It'd be a pretty shitty DAW if it didn't allow you to use more than one sound device at a time

Also, I keep forgetting that the monomachine's SID chip emulator was a big selling point for me. fuuuuuck

I wouldn't think so? It'd be a pretty shitty DAW if it didn't allow you to use more than one sound device at a time

Also, I keep forgetting that the monomachine's SID chip emulator was a big selling point for me. fuuuuuck

You can only use one ASIO device in Cubase at one time, afaik - I can aggregate devices on my Mac mostly (not my Apogee tho)

I'm maybe realling missing the point but the ARIA does the usb audio thing but I'm pretty sure it replaces your audiocard to achieve this. Overbridge must be performing some AD conversion and it needs to be in sync with your audiocard.

Ah yeah I've been chucking all of my devices into one aggregate device and then assigning in reaper. I'd say it'd just be an input that you could use though yeah? Rather than being restricted to using it as a full audio device?

fwiw you can _probably_ do some crude CV stuff from the GND>SIN machine on the MnM. I do this from my MachineDrum on occasion. It won't give you accurate pitch tracking, but could definitely be used for modulation, especially once you couple w/ the internal LFOs.

Archived