IGNORED

Depeche Mode - Delta Machine

Redruth

I really like the new song/video - well composed, catchy melody. I do think it's a bit of a strange track to consider for a single - I wonder if this is indicative of the whole mood of the album.

As these boys get older and older, they probably will turn into "Depress Mode"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New single is allright, it's so weird that Blawan did an (also weird) remix, but I guess there is lot of money. Anyway, Depeche Mode was part of my teenage soundtrack, so I'm always interested in new stuff and i don't find them half as bad or awkward like the other old bands still doing it.

• 1 month later...

I've only heard the single and I sort of liked it, then a few more plays I was getting much more into it. A definate slow burner.

It's one of those tracks that made me think the rest of the album could be special. I think only a fool would write them off.

Joyrex, the complete album is now streaming on iTunes. It sounds fantastic.

I know - I haven't had the chance to hear it yet!

i'd guess this is itunes exclusive? i'm really hoping to find the time to listen to this, as well as so many things. my ability to keep up with new releases has been rather pathetic in recent months. there are so many i want to hear, but unfortunately i've only so many ears

i'd guess this is itunes exclusive? i'm really hoping to find the time to listen to this, as well as so many things. my ability to keep up with new releases has been rather pathetic in recent months. there are so many i want to hear, but unfortunately i've only so many ears

Just listen to everything sped up

Yep, iTunes exclusive. Amazon has a deal where if you buy it between now and April 1, you get a code to access pre-ticket sales for their North American tour before they go on sale April 6th.

i could not resist, i made time for a quick sampling. there is the handful of tracs which seem good, but at first listen this is not entirely to my liking. i'm really attracted to the music and the melodies, however the vocal delivery and lyrics seem a bit teeth curling on certain tracs, maybe a bit too far in front? i feel this with the guitar as well, at times it dominates, does not meld with the shape of the other sounds and detracts from what could be lovely, subtle, understated beauty in certain sections. maybe my opinion on all this will change with time, this has proven true in the past, but i don't see it happening with this honestly. i've been deeply infected with the dm golden age sounds and it has been hard for me to be truly satisfied by an entire album since.

i could not resist, i made time for a quick sampling. there is the handful of tracs which seem good, but at first listen this is not entirely to my liking. i'm really attracted to the music and the melodies, however the vocal delivery and lyrics seem a bit teeth curling on certain tracs, maybe a bit too far in front? i feel this with the guitar as well, at times it dominates, does not meld with the shape of the other sounds and detracts from what could be lovely, subtle, understated beauty in certain sections. maybe my opinion on all this will change with time, this has proven true in the past, but i don't see it happening with this honestly. i've been deeply infected with the dm golden age sounds and it has been hard for me to be truly satisfied by an entire album since.

I'm in the same boat - since Songs of Faith and Devotion, there hasn't been a DM release that fired on all cylinders (as in the vast majority of tracks being worthy of 'hit' status or even repeated listenings), perhaps with the exception of Ultra, which came close.

I haven't listened yet (very tempted to piss off IT here at work and install iTunes just to listen), but probably will this weekend.

i'll be curious for your opinion.

i think for me the question is continuity. with wilder and ellis dm had this silky-smooth quality, the sounds pointed firmly in the same direction. everything hummed with magnetic energy. now, i feel this is rarely being achieved, aside from the handful of exceptions

I got it yesterday with the bonus disc. For those sitting on the fence, (looks at Joyrex), it's a great album that covers all sides of their work.

Something for everyone (which was probably the idea).

I got the Deluxe version via iTunes (woke up this morning to find it installed and ready to listen)... on first listen... not too many tracks stand out to me - ironically the bonus tracks seem more interesting than the main material.

Then again, "Heaven" I didn't immediately like, and it grew on me, so I imagine this will too. Bit disappointed there isn't a stand out, sure fire hit from it - but that doesn't mean there are tracks that will stand the test of time.

One thing I sometimes have problems resolving with DM is their pseudo-blues-gospel lyrics since SOFAD - some songs are pretty good (Condemnation) with them, others are cringe-worthy (John The Revelator). I wished sometimes they'd (looking at you Martin Gore) go back to "Depress Mode" and write some angsty stuff again.

I got the Deluxe version via iTunes (woke up this morning to find it installed and ready to listen)... on first listen... not too many tracks stand out to me - ironically the bonus tracks seem more interesting than the main material.

Then again, "Heaven" I didn't immediately like, and it grew on me, so I imagine this will too. Bit disappointed there isn't a stand out, sure fire hit from it - but that doesn't mean there are tracks that will stand the test of time.

One thing I sometimes have problems resolving with DM is their pseudo-blues-gospel lyrics since SOFAD - some songs are pretty good (Condemnation) with them, others are cringe-worthy (John The Revelator). I wished sometimes they'd (looking at you Martin Gore) go back to "Depress Mode" and write some angsty stuff again.

What about 'Happens All The Time'? That's a pretty angsty track. My favorite on the bonus disc.

What about 'Happens All The Time'? That's a pretty angsty track. My favorite on the bonus disc.

Yeah, that's my fave on the bonus disc as well - should have been the album opener, IMO.

this tweet speaks to my issue with depeche mode these days:

JGflF3r.png

not that it's all about tempo, but there's an energy that's missing.

I've always thought that bands get slower as they get older.

Archived