IGNORED

Science Fiction TV Series

Guest kokeboka

i really like star trek, but i literally could not bring myself to watch enterprise with that opening theme.... holy shit that is the worst thing i've ever heard and scott bakula's face makes me sad.

is revolution a sci fi series? it's in the same genre as lost, whatever that is. it's ok

Guest Frankie5fingers

yeah, seriously. it may be they same production company but Fringe has nothing on X-Files. in fact, nothing really does. lol

i can't believe people are even mentioning fringe. isn't that just a hack of x-files? i couldn't even finish the pilot episode.

its not too bad. ok in fact. but they have had a couple episodes that were just off the wall stupid. overall ok, but kinda hard to really wanna watch every episode.

it really isnt a copy of X-files though. X-files was about following aliens. Fringe is more about dark (immoral) sciences that are being covered up by the government and the team of people who stop those that conduct it, by using the same "evil" science themselves on occasion.

yeah, seriously. it may be they same production company but Fringe has nothing on X-Files. in fact, nothing really does. lol

i can't believe people are even mentioning fringe. isn't that just a hack of x-files? i couldn't even finish the pilot episode.

its not too bad. ok in fact. but they have had a couple episodes that were just off the wall stupid. overall ok, but kinda hard to really wanna watch every episode.

it really isnt a copy of X-files though. X-files was about following aliens. Fringe is more about dark (immoral) sciences that are being covered up by the government and the team of people who stop those that conduct it, by using the same "evil" science themselves on occasion.

It's pretty much moved away from that aspect in the latter seasons. Especially the final season that is showing now. It was definitely looking for its stride in the first season, but since then it's been a decent show for the sci-fi starved.

why aren't there any shows like the twilight zone nowadays where it's a different self-contained story every week? some of the people who write stuff on http://www.scp-wiki.net/ could come up with some great episodes.

I don't know, I wish they would make such a show.

Guest Frankie5fingers

It's pretty much moved away from that aspect in the latter seasons. Especially the final season that is showing now. It was definitely looking for its stride in the first season, but since then it's been a decent show for the sci-fi starved.

well, i stopped watching it. so if it has changed then i don't know at all what its like now. the most recent episode that i remember was when they were cartoons. so its been awhile. really cool episode though.

To the extent Fringe is an X-Files ripoff, it's a loving, openly-acknowledged ripoff.

It's not nearly as good as the X-Files, and it is uneven, but it is also frequently pretty fun and satirical with respect to its own use of certain tropes. And unlike Lost (and unlike the X-files post Season-5), it is at least completely upfront about fucking with its own continuity/internal logic.

season 7 is pretty strong, no reason not to watch that one. Sum up season 8 and 9? alright here goes

- Season 7's finale ends with Mulder being abducted by aliens, Scully then finds out she is pregnant afterwards presumably (although never made clear) with Mulder's child
- Season 8 starts with Scully teamed up with the t-100 from Terminator 2, except he is fatter and has a shitty fake boston accent.
he is a 'skeptic' like Scully was in the beginning, so now the dynamic is the opposite, Scully believes in aliens and supernatural events where as Dogget does not.
- Skinner is now fully on board as a Mulder supporter and works with Scully behind the scenes to try and find him
- towards the last 3rd of the season eventually Mulder turns up dead... yes he is dead, but not to fear! It's actually just a dead 'shell' of his former body and there is a new mulder underneath the skin. At the same time he appears dead, so does Billy, the teen who was abducted in the very first episode of the X-files, and then re-abducted in the season 7 finale of the x-files along with mulder. He re-appears the same way Mulder does and his outer shell is dead, but his new body is no longer that of a human. He's a 'super soldier' an unclear origin metallic skeleton humanoid. We presume it's a new type of alien, but as we later find out that's not the case
- Mulder along with Skinner try to stop the super-soldier billy from killing off all the alien abductees who remain alive.
Crychek comes along from the ride and is trying to stop Mulder. Crycheck gets shot in the head and dies in a shoot out with mulder and skinner
- the whole time behind the scenes Dogget is getting inside information from a military colonel (sort of like his Mr. X or deep throat) but we find out quickly he's actually an alien because he has that weird mark on the back of his neck
- eventually his contact turns out to be a 'super soldier'. Mulder and Scully get contacted by a renegade 'super soldier' played by Xena the warrior princess who explains to them in a retcon fashion that super soldiers are actually not alien in origin at all, but modified humans with super powers. This episode sort of erases the fact that Billy was adducted by a UFO and dropped off and grew a new body
- Scully has the baby and the super soldiers track her down, she thinks they want to kill her but they actually just want to watch her have the baby (in a really weird but poorly done rosemary's baby-esque scene)
*zero memory of season 8 finale*
- for some reason that i totally forgot, Mulder goes missing again and does not appear for the rest of the show we find out that he's dying of some kind of incurable brain cancer that he inherited from the smoking man (his dad) during the Season 6 2-parter where he does some kind of brain cell transfusion with his dad in order to save his dad's life
- In Season 9 scully has to take care of the baby who has subtle psychic and telekinetic abilities that are barely shown, there are allusions to him being Christ reborn that are never followed up on
- While scully takes care of the baby in a bland dark apartment for almost every episode, Dogget gets a new parter, Monica Reyes
she takes over the Mulder role, she is heavily into the super natural and Dogget is the skeptic.
- A 'super soldier' tricks Scully into trying to get her to contact Mulder, when she finds out he is a 'super soldier' she leads him to a canyon that has magnetite in it killing him instantly. We find out magnetite is deadly to super soldiers (wtf, i know right? )
- In the meantime a man appears to Skinner who might be mulder, hes horribly burned but a DNA test reveals him to share Mulder's dna. He then reveals that he is Jeffery Spender, the brother of mulder. His father sent him away for human experimentation and he escaped but not only after being disfigured. He comes over to Scully's house and injects her son with a needle to her surprise. She thinks its a virus, but he actually 'cures' the child of it's powers (wtf?)
- in the final episode of the whole show, Mulder comes out of hiding, but only because we find out that he knows the date of the real apocalypse that he learned at a secret military base, as soon as he finds out he accidentally kills by knocking off a balcony a super soldier (who were previously indestructible from anything but magnetite) posing as a soldier.
-Because of the murder, Mulder must undergo a military tribunal.
The psychic kid from the end of Season 5 comes back, we also find out he has been experimented on but is now halfway through puberty and serves absolutely no purpose to the story. The final episode is like an even shittier version of the Seinfeld finale, offering flashbacks to previous alien mythology episodes. Scully plays the defense attorney, and she uses the psychic kid as evidence that aliens are real.
At the end of the episode we find out that the smoking man is not dead, but he actually lives like a mountain shaman in the dessert of north america hiding in a mountain made of magnetite to try and live out his days during the impending alien apocalypse. then he gets shot with a missile from a helicopter
end of show

why aren't there any shows like the twilight zone nowadays where it's a different self-contained story every week? some of the people who write stuff on http://www.scp-wiki.net/ could come up with some great episodes.

i actually brought this up to a producer (i work for a film studio). he said they're very difficult to sell. the ones that came after twilight zone didn't do well.

somehow Dicaprio got production rights, and will star in the latest Twilight Zone movie update:

http://sciencefictionworld.com/films/science-fiction-films/1120-leonardo-dicaprio-s-twilight-zone-movie-update.html

At least he's not starting in that aborted Akira mess.

i wonder if Dicaprio with the help of his dad's production company will ever make a film out of the Cat's Cradle rights they bought... hmm. I don't know if i'd want to see Dicaprio playing the lead role in that film, plus it would be a practically unfilmable book.

Archived