IGNORED

Should we create a neanderthal?

lumpenprol

Some of you may have been following this, Harvard Prof George Church says we can now make a Neanderthal baby from extracted Neanderthal DNA injected into a human egg.

Surprisingly or unsurprisingly, there seems to have been quite a bit of academic (I'm not sure about public) outrage at the idea, saying it's inhumane and disgusting to even consider.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2266108/Neanderthal-man-DNA-experiments-shadow-Dr-Frankenstein.html

My first reaction was "cool!"

I remember watching "Iceman" as a kid though. If we ended up treating the kid like a specimen it could really suck. But somehow I imagine we'd be more sensible these days...? Dunno. Anyway if we gave them all the same rights as humans and let them live freely, my brain still says "cool". What says watmm?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we might as well create a couple of baby emrbyo babies athough i found zaphods idea of making them ''geico'' mexicans ... appropraiate. So far It only worked in 4.10 Breaking Bad

Guest RadarJammer

a neanderthal would be easily relatable so they would need to plan a really cozy life for it before anyone in society can be expected to get onboard. I think they should do it anyways but take it to some underground chinese or russian lab where they are already probably anal probing a young group of terrified Cro-Magnon

Guest Mirezzi

I remember watching "Iceman" as a kid though. If we ended up treating the kid like a specimen it could really suck.

Fuck yeah, as a kid I thought that movie was great (and tragic). Not sure if I'd feel the same way today. Timothy Hutton. Wow. Feeling old right now.

Guest Mirezzi

article-2266108-0BC017E6000005DC-449_634

"This is the last known photo of Bok Bok, taken three days before he fractured his human

mother's skull with a table lamp. A team of MIT linguists believe Bok Bok was attempting

to negotiate more time to play a popular video game, Call of Duty."

it would be cool to put a baby neanderthal in a truman show style domed wilderness community with hired actors playing other neanderthals and then in his teens guide him out of the dome into a studio where he's greeted by a live audience and someone like jamie kennedy or snooki for a post show interview. the resulting killing spree would make for great television.

Guest Frankie5fingers

im ok with it, but only if it will become the new cast member of Buckwild. that show needs some intelligence.

Neanderthal has come to be used as a synonym for stupid, but they actually had larger brains than modern day humans (look it up). Not that brain size necessarily equals potential intelligence otherwise we should be sending elephants to university.

elephants are a bit smart but they don't need degrees, fast cars, penthouse apartments, rolex watches or decent threads to get by.. they don't need to prove themselves to humans.

but brain-to-body mass ratio is the important bit. elephants don't do well there.

Archived