IGNORED

Should we create a neanderthal?

lumpenprol

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but brain-to-body mass ratio is the important bit.

If it's as simple as that then it follows that Neanderthals were intelligent beyond our understanding.

it's not as simple as that. they might have had the capacity to be more intelligent but became obsessed with body building or something.

Ok. If I got 100 000 000$ right now and a major Hollywood studio was at my disposal I'd make a movie about how our ancestors wiped out neanderthals as they gave up wanting peace and our ancestors wouldn't have any of it.

It would be shot as a mix of Odyssey 2001 and Koyaanisqatsi styles.

they didn't fully die out, we got freaky with them. if you're not from africa you're part neanderthal already.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=neandertal-genome-study-r

not sure how i feel about creating a new one, but i'm not gonna sit here and pretend this is a technology anybody can stop forever. synthetic biology is just going to be more and more common. kids used to blow up frogs... now they'll play with their genes.

Ok. If I got 100 000 000$ right now and a major Hollywood studio was at my disposal I'd make a movie about how our ancestors wiped out neanderthals as they gave up wanting peace and our ancestors wouldn't have any of it.

It would be shot as a mix of Odyssey 2001 and Koyaanisqatsi styles.

This.

Of course we should. Why is this even a question?

wait, so the creation of one of these things would essentially debunk christianity etc. ?

Guest Frankie5fingers

Of course we should. Why is this even a question?

wait, so the creation of one of these things would essentially debunk christianity etc. ?

i fail to see how that works.

Guest dese manz hatin

I am also against this. While it would be super interesting, is nobody concerned with the ethics of this? We are essentially creating a semi-human being, definitely intelligent with self-conciousness. Would he have human rights? How would that guy feel, being the only one of his kind on the whole planet, basically created for "show" and an object created for science. Nobody could really be sure about his "legal" status, i.e. a strange creature, not human, not animal that we don't really have working categories for yet?

That seems to me like the first step of scientists playing creators and doing dubious experiments with sentient being who would deserve better than being created at the will of some human overlords. There are so many ethical problems with cloning human beings, how would that be different.

Apart from that, the guy would so definitely become WWE champion.

Guest dese manz hatin

btw, how do creationists explain neanderthals? I get how they deal with apes, i.e. they exist but no evolutionary connection to us. but what about the intermediate stages?

no, it's unethical. imagine what type of life he or she would lead. it would be awful.

it's depressing everyone assumes this. I'd like to think we'd be better than that. For one thing, they could interbreed with us, so it's not like they'd have to be alone forever. And with modern dress, I don't think they'd stand out more in a crowd than say, an australian aborigine or papua new guinean would.

on the other hand, they'd have no parents, and there doesn't seem to be much research value to bringing them back to life. It's not like they could teach us how neanderthals made stone tools or cave paintings.

only if pauly shore is involved somehow. and by involved i mean killed.

tumblr_lxfvs8DEsI1qeq3p0o1_1280.jpg

I say do it, but if the Neanderthal ends up not being a super cool cave-bro like Brendan Frasier, then I'm gonna be really disappointed.

i think, instead, these scientist people should focus on making a monstrous human centipede body with plenty of arms and legs (no ass to mouth just one big body), and multiple eyes and all the tools i would need to survive forever after they put my brain inside it. lets do this.

and under tools that includes a usb port so i can interface and hack stuff like R2.

some of the arms and legs, and the skeleton, should be metal too. just this badass human cyborg centipede.

Archived