IGNORED

Favorite Exai Minutiae

thehauntingsoul

cloudline 6:16-6:40. Essentially the snares clock in and the part has all cloudline is about. Also has that "broken record" part... With the snares it gets some kinda drive. Still funky and relaxed.

Why do people like SPL9? I don't get it. Yet. It's somewhat boring for me.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

recks on @ 2:03 the growliest bass ever

I don't hear any new bassline there... Hmmm. My jamo D590 should play that if there's something specific... Hmm hmmm

Guest theSun

Why do people like SPL9? I don't get it. Yet. It's somewhat boring for me.

spl9 is great because controlled chaos. the control they have over the sound is like listening to any musician wailing away who has mastered their instrument

it gets a little tiring in the middle but picks up again at the end. one of the greatest tracks they've ever made, very groovy

In spl9 where the sustained drone sound comes in to the background, which tells you two things. 1 - Only Autechre could pull off something as wicked as this and 2 - This song just broke my brain

the drums at the beginning of track 8 from the 2000 Berlin radio show (my mp3s are tagged 'broadcast on Kriegstanz Radio') reminded me very much of FLeure's drums. just me?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm convinced that the entire segment and build-up between the beginning of the track and 2:33 of vekoS is one of the best Ae moments for me. It sounds like something that would be heard on one of their live sets. This track gets played quite regularly and although I now know the specific elements/sounds in the track in great detail, no boredom has crept in at all.

that first vocoded vocals bit in recks on, about 6:45. it just hits out of nowhere and i'm so entranced by the track up until that point i never expect it...that track is killer, for sure, and that little part gets me every time.

• 5 months later...

thehauntingsoul, on 07 Mar 2013 - 1:51 PM, said:

Irlite @ 8:50 ish: really the whole synth line surrounding this point is awesome, but in particular at around 8:55-9:00 there's this cool stumble with the synth rhythm, but I said 8:50 because the switch up makes no sense out of context. Anyways it's really awesome and I will always rewind if I wasn't paying attention when it happens.

I could be w0rng but I think the 'stumbling' then 'rushing' bits in the lead synth are 3 notes clusters of a 5-tuplet or 7-tuplet (possibly a sneaky 11-tuplet or maybe they saved those for the L-Event?). Most common rhythms are combos of 3s and 2s but for these feels try counting 5 times into 4 or 7 times across 8 and it will have a similar ahead-of-the-beat-speeding-up or behind-the-beat-slowing-down feel.

thehauntingsoul, on 07 Mar 2013 - 1:51 PM, said:

cloudline @ 3:13 and more importantly at 3:31-3:40: Yeah I know it's pretty obvious but it's torture how fleeting this amazing bass line is.

This bass line makes my stomach feel funny. The sub partially bends down along a long, inverted envelope pipe away from it's higher octave cousin in a dirt conspiracy. The low-pass filter on the reverb feedback creates dust cloud. As they hoover it up, the slap-back delay forms a vacuum bag that conceals their separate identities, but it gets really musty in there.

• 2 months later...

(from a thread I made)

3:30 onwards on "Lentic Catacheresis"

That last 45 seconds of "Gantz Graf"

Around 3:20 on "Sublimit"

2:40 on "Basscadet" (I think this stunned as all the first time)

All of "Fleure"

All of "Spl9"

Leteral is just plain hypnotizing to me

That last minute of Djarum (I love piercing my eardrums with this one)

(from a thread I made)

3:30 onwards on "Lentic Catacheresis"

That last 45 seconds of "Gantz Graf"

Around 3:20 on "Sublimit"

2:40 on "Basscadet" (I think this stunned as all the first time)

All of "Fleure"

All of "Spl9"

Leteral is just plain hypnotizing to me

That last minute of Djarum (I love piercing my eardrums with this one)

Favorite Exai Minutiae

the sound (satisfied kind of click) at 04:43 in Tewe that seems to signal a cohesion of all the comically skirmishing elements in the track into a perfect swaying groove

05:22 in Piezo where it leaves its earthly beats behind and soars off in full flight melody (a bit like the feeling when you stand in a doorway, arms pressed out against the sides and then let go and your arms levitate by their own accord)

the springy sound occuring every 2 seconds or so in the first quarter of Cipater, plus the atmospheric beat that seems to circle around the main rhytm, giving a feeling of a huge empty space which totally contradicts the other heavy, clunky and dense beats.

the thing sitting peacefully at the centre of Characi, busily whittling away.

05:18 in Draun Quarter where that sweet wistful melody reaches a kind of emotional crescendo before slowly and beautifully receeding like the tides of an ocean bathed in the light of an eternal sundown.

Those sounds throughout Cfern that sound like magnified droplets of water or wet antennae gently probing around, and how they eventually turn into what makes up the majority of the melody after the 4 minute mark, ending in two very glaring opposing notes.

@ 4:54 on bladelores, when everything falls out except the bass, and then the etheral-as-fuck synths just swell back in, and then it cuts back to the song. idk why noone else has said it yet.

Archived